Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Dione's Escape Craft by Chris Potter

Howard

Forum Supporter
Fantastic build!
Very well done indeed.
It's great to see this community helping each other out as usual as well.
A credit to the hobby.

w8cmp

Alphans
Thanks guys for all the positive comments - it really keeps me motivated to create more...

And thanks too to all of you who helped with parts and advice on this build. Especially DX for the vac shells, JD for the engine bell & Saturn 1B bits & both for advice on parts, eimb1999 for the mattress vents, and the rest of you for the encouragement.

I've really enjoyed this - my first studio scale 'scratchbuild' and am fired up to do something else now. I just have to decide what - as I'll need to be able to research, find & source the necessary parts without too much expense (or my dear wife will crucify me !).

I'm now in the process of making a display base for this - something remeniscent of the launch pad on the Satazius - but in no way meant to be an acccurate copy of that.

I'll post some pics of the completed model on it's base when done.

Cheers & thanks all.

Chris

DX-SFX

Alphans
Hopefully not too late but a rare right hand side view. Note the small piece of kit detail right in camera foreground and the silver stripe on the LEM garage ring.

DX-SFX

Alphans
I noticed the SRN4 seats look positively red in that shot but with a mass of black weathering to tone them down.

w8cmp

Alphans
Thanks very much DX...

Now I also see that there is no Bismarck piece on that side, or the two black decals behind it.

You can see how the shortening of the main gear (I assume due to breakage as the missing B-29 gear bits are quite fragile) has made the nose gear align wrongly (i.e it's tipped backwards).

And not only is there the kit detailing (identification of which escapes me right now), but there's also another decal on that side which I hadn't done.

Time to start some modifications I think...

Cheers

Chris

I noticed the SRN4 seats look positively red in that shot but with a mass of black weathering to tone them down.

I used a mixture of a brown and red to get the colour I wanted...

With regard to the silver colour on the rear LM garage ring, I'm of the feeling that it's due to reflection of light and is not in fact a different colour...look at the line of reflection along the various parts of the body and engine bell, and this light section follows that line...but I may be wrong...

DX-SFX

Alphans
Sorry, I didn't post it earlier. I only found it a few moments ago looking through an album for something else.

Looking at the original photo that I scanned, my money is on that stripe being silver BUT it may be a later addition (I've no idea either way) so I think it's a personal choice. The last recessed square under the kit part appears to be silver too.

JD

Alphans
That's gold, DX! Many thanks! :thumbup:

Must admit, I get the same impression as w8cmp on the LM garage section. And that last half-square... perhaps the bottom hull's metallic green, equally washed out?

DX-SFX

Alphans
That's gold, DX! Many thanks! :thumbup:

Must admit, I get the same impression as w8cmp on the LM garage section. And that last half-square... perhaps the bottom hull's metallic green, equally washed out?

I know what you mean but if you could see the print (first generation direct from the negative), it looks too different from the coppery gold to be an artifact of the camera flash. I wonder if the underside gold is a little greeny and/or possibly a matching colour to the underside of the mother ship which looks to have a similar greeny hue in the episode? We're obviously getting into Mobile blue territory here where metallics take onboard misleading colours from their surroundings. I've known some people swear blind that Skydiver was green.

JD

Alphans
Y'know, I've come back to this pic after a few hours, and I'm coming 'round!

The first thing that strikes me now is that the segment is at a different angle than it should be to be caught in glare. If you look at the silver sphere for the position of the main light source it's a fraction right of centre, and that part of the LM garage surface is facing more to the left.

BTW, now that they've come to notice with this pic, you can see that 'new' kitpart in the front profile DX posted way back, and the extra decal in the top shot in SFFM 39!

Another couple of things to ponder: is that another kitpart lurking under the silver rectangle? And does the whole engine section tilt upwards a couple of degrees?

Bishop

Alphans
I can see what you mean about the engine section tilting upward. It certainly does. Almost as much as 5mm, probably closer to three.

What is also interesting is that the front pad doesn't rest on the "floor" Is that because the legs were shortened (as someone mentioned) or because the model pieces in the landing gear are bending with age?

ostrein

Alphans
I can see what you mean about the engine section tilting upward. It certainly does. Almost as much as 5mm, probably closer to three.

What is also interesting is that the front pad doesn't rest on the "floor" Is that because the legs were shortened (as someone mentioned) or because the model pieces in the landing gear are bending with age?

After looking again at the screenshots on Catacombs for "The Last Enemy" I agree with you Tony42.
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/epguide/t18tle.html

In my eyes Chris has done a much better job building this craft compared to the original model :-/

On the picture posted by DX-SFX the craft is much more tail heavy compared to the picture in the show.

Chris, I would leave it as it is. IMO you've done a great job there.

Alternativley you can build a new one and I'll store this one for you in my hangar ;)

Oliver

DX-SFX

Alphans
I don't think the intention was that the engines should tilt upwards. I think that's one of those cases where making everything straight is applicable otherwise it'll just look like poor model making on Chris's part. Personally, I'd leave it as it is too.

Bishop

Alphans
This was one of Martin's quick builds for the show wasn't it? It certainly works for the shots, but a bit like the Hawk its not without its imperfections that give it appeal. A cracking good ship all round and Chris as done a great job.

I am right that the legs were shortened after the show aired aren't I?

w8cmp

Alphans
I'm not about to rip mine apart to rebuild or anything...I'm happy enough with the shape etc, even though I know of a few areas where it's not exact to the original (rectangular panel details not quite exactly the same, engine section perhaps about 2mm too long, recess for centre wooden section not quite as deeply recessed as it should be in a couple of areas etc).

Things I do need to rectify are:
  • I need to remove the Bismarck part on the right hand side rear, as well as the 2 black decals. The panel will need a quick repaint in silver after removal.
  • I need to make & paint something like the newly found kit part to add to the side, and spray that small area in the green/gold colour underneath that.
  • I shall add the missing decal if I can find it on the Harrier sheet - or if not, shall approximate something from what I have.
  • I'll also spray that big dirty black area that's obvious on the original on the gold section.
  • I may look at painting a silver panel on the engine section - though I'm still not decided on that one. Could be fun masking it over the black decals either side :think:
  • I have mistakenly painted the Apollo parts at the landing gear mounting points in silver, when they should have been left as green/gold - I shall see what I can do about this and try to remove the silver paint :?
I hope to have this lot done this evening if I can figure out how to do some of them...

Chris

DX-SFX

Alphans
I shall add the missing decal if I can find it on the Harrier sheet - or if not, shall approximate something from what I have.

It's definitely on there. Look for the radial markings that show what angle the Harrier exhausts are turned to. I'm assuming you're looking at one of the old Airfix kit decal sheets? It's actually a load of fine technical writing right next to the 'T' markings also used on the Dione ship and also pictured on the photo.

JD

Alphans
I don't think the intention was that the engines should tilt upwards.

Agreed, but (and I know this comes up time and time again) where do you draw the line as to what will immediately look bad on display and a detail that will throw the model 'off'. Even though this is an obvious misalignment, it contributes to how the model looks onscreen.

I'm not about to rip mine apart to rebuild or anything...

No, of course not! But with the speed you build, and your inclination to make another one, it's just another part of the mix to be aware of.

I build 'em slow! So the idea of doing a second model of the same subject isn't quite so appealing. I'm after getting everything I want on the one model.

I'm leaning towards building in the misalignment, putting Bismarck parts and decals on both sides, and leaving off the black spray mark, as I think it was likely an overspray from blacking out the wires, rather than a deliberate part of the dirtying down.

w8cmp

Alphans
Cheers Chris,

Despite my earlier post and PM, I actually managed to find the right marking on the sheet. I'm glad I got it right ;)

I didn't have the old Harrier kit, so (horror of horrors) I am using the markings from a 'new' Harrier kit. I wrote to Airfix some time ago asking whether I could buy a replacement sheet for some other projects, and I thought they'd completely ignored my request. Then out of the blue about 4 months later, I received an envelope with a carefully cut up sheet of the decals with a compliment slip. Good bunch at Airfix :yes:

Alterations are complete...paint is drying...pics soon...:D

DX-SFX

Alphans
Agreed, but (and I know this comes up time and time again) where do you draw the line as to what will immediately look bad on display and a detail that will throw the model 'off'. Even though this is an obvious misalignment, it contributes to how the model looks onscreen.

I'm not so sure in this case it's even that obvious. I think there are some optical misdirections going on to distract the eye. Compound curves often do that. Remember the appearance of the front of the Discovery engine module?

JD

Alphans
Sorry, I didn't mean that the misalignment was immediately obvious to the eye, I meant the fact that it is a misalignment, rather than deliberate design, is obvious. :)

This isn't an observation just from your new photo, DX. I can see it in several views of the ship. I think the engine section and the 1/2" piece of stock just forward of it (the trapezoidal piece with two wire-points and the Bismarck part on the side) are on the same plane. The change in angle is just forward of the Bismarck piece, where the trapezoid meets what I think is a separate piece of 1/2" stock, a half-elliptical piece with the black squares.