Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Dione's Escape Craft by Chris Potter

w8cmp

Alphans
Now I made this whole piece from two pieces joined together, but longitudinally so the whole piece is flat and in one plane. I could understand if the original were made as JD suggests with the join across the craft - and in fact there does appear to be a change in plane at this point.

I chose not to replicate this however as I put it down to something which was unintentional.

Changes are now made, and I'm happy enough. Again, there are some dimensional differences which means that I had to make the horizontal rod on the newly discovered part a little longer than the original, but it will do for me. The original appears to be slightly asymmetrical in the placement of those black squares in the recess around the craft's centreline...while mine is more symmetrical, and has a larger gap between the silver rear piece and the first black square (as per the port side of the original model).

I think I'm done now...any more 'fiddling' will start to ruin the model if I'm not careful. I'm going to put this one on display and move on to another project for the timebeing, though having said that I 'may' possibly build another in the future if I can source the parts needed again.

Cheers

Chris

DX-SFX

Alphans
Chris, if you get a chance, can you try to take a picture of yours from the right side at the same angle. Not for engine angles or anything like that. I'm just interested to see how the vac forms compare. PM it or email it if you prefer. Is the filling of your sandwich 1/2"?

This isn't an observation just from your new photo, DX. I can see it in several views of the ship. I think the engine section and the 1/2" piece of stock just forward of it (the trapezoidal piece with two wire-points and the Bismarck part on the side) are on the same plane. The change in angle is just forward of the Bismarck piece, where the trapezoid meets what I think is a separate piece of 1/2" stock, a half-elliptical piece with the black squares.

I think the answer is we're both right. I hear what you're saying. If you look at this picture, the engines are parallel with the tip of the nose. What I think has happened is the left hand side of the bronze body has dropped and the silver section along the waist has had to have an upward sweep introduced to it to get it all back into line. If you drew a line around the equator bisecting the black squares equally, the line would run under the centre of the silver sphere if it continued backwards. The red line BTW only shows the parallelism of the engines with the tip of the nose. It doesn't indicate an equatorial line because the photo is taken from slightly above a true side profile so it's not a true indicator of the amount of drop.

DX-SFX

Alphans
Just for fun, I altered the angle of the front edge of the silver area which doesn't look upright to me. That odd angle seems to make quite a difference to the perception too.

JD

Alphans
Ah, so it's more of a 'kink' in the middle of the main section! You don't think it's there on the starboard?

w8cmp

Alphans
Here's mine from a similar angle - though taken on the centreline...

Here's the original at the same angle

I have the feeling that the top vacform is a slightly deeper pull on the original...they maintain their height from the centre section further back and then the rear of the vacforms taper off to more of a vertical at the rear where they join the engine section.

Chris

DX-SFX

Alphans
You don't think it's there on the starboard?

Your interpretation is as good as mine! :lol:

If I had to put money on it, I'd plump for 'no' on the starboard but without true side profiles or even a head on shot slightly to one side, I don't think we'll know for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if there were differences side to side. It's not a negative comment on the model maker but the Hawk CM was made the same way (press moulded) and I think it's no secret that it's a little asymmetric in places. I don't think I've managed yet to stick two parts of a thin vac form together without having to split the joint and make adjustments to get it all lined up. I built an airliner fuselage like that once and the twist I introduced was frankly embarrassing. I hate vac forms unless they've got some reasonable thickness.

And finally, an official ITC photo taken, I believe, by Brian Johnson at the studio for potential toy makers. I forgot I had this. I'm now plumb cleaned out of Dione ship photos. I have to be honest and say the dip doesn't look too bad there.

JD

Alphans
Doubly appreciate that one, DX, as I only had the very poor dupe from Starlog 29 way back in 1979. Still, it was the pic which enamoured me of this design in the first place! :D

A reminder though; wasn't Dione's ship photographed in plan view with the Hawk in the same session? I think it's in Tim Heald's book, which I don't have myself. Any chance you have a good scan of that one?

DX-SFX

Alphans
That's where that one came from (the same session). I've also got the underside shot but not the above shot or the other side.

Last edited:

w8cmp

Alphans
Having bought a domed dislay case for the model at the IPMS show, I knocked this launch pad base up last weekend in a couple of hours.

My Dione craft now has a dust-free home...

Chris

Last edited:

w8cmp

Alphans
Here's the parts list as far as I remember:

060" vacforms for the main body (x2) from Chris Trice
030" vacforms for the panelling (x2) from Chris Trice
Mattress Vents as per Hawk VTOLs (x2)
Airfix SR.N4 Hovercraft Seats (14 x double, 6x triple, 4x quadruple)
Airfix SR.N4 Hovercraft Tables (x8)
Airfix SR.N4 Hovercraft Interior Cupboard (x1)
Airfix SR.N4 Hovercraft Trapezoidal Pylon Mounting Plate (x2)
Airfix 1:72 Lunar Module Leg parts (x4)
Airfix Saturn V Escape Rocket halves (both)
Airfix Saturn 1B main engine halves (x2)
Airfix Saturn V stage 3 to Apollo LM adapter ring
Airfix Saturn V LM Quad Thrusters (x7 - handed)
Airfix Boeing B-29 Bomb Halves (without holes) (x2)
Airfix Boeing B-29 Front Landing Gear (x2)
Airfix Boeing B-29 Main Landing Gear (x1)
Airfix Boeing B-29 Turret Domes (x3)
Airfix Bismarck Bits (on side of hull) (x2)
2mm diameter brass rod on main gear
Airfix 1:24 Harrier Engine Part (ring as VTOL outlet on underside)
Decals from 1:24 Airfix Harrier
Various EMA Hemispheres (4x1" for the spheres, 8x½" for the tanks)
½" Tube used to form tanks on rear structure with EMA domes on ends
Kids egg toy container used as main engine bell (from JD)
Stock / Plasticard shaped to suit for landing gear pads & rear structure & various details
½ inch thick basswood for centre structure between vac-forms
Ford Arizona Gold Auto Paint
Custom mix colour for underside (gold with a green tinge)
Humbrol Gold 16 for centre band
Various Greys & Black for details

Think that's about it...

Chris

Last edited:

JD

Alphans
14 single seats from the SRN4. Remember there's two secreted under the rear landing gear:

Also, since you finished your build, Chris, I've found that eight of the 4-cushion seats are the supports for the four oblong tanks:

Jim, if sourcing the rear bell gives you any trouble I still have an extra toy egg! :)

JJL567

Alphans
Just need to jump in here...

Just seen this, Chris, that looks fantastic - Love it!

As I said before - Display base maker SUPREME!

Okay, as you were

;)