Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Discussion of TB2's possible Humbrol paint colour

w8cmp

Alphans
Culled from the Aoshima Kit build up a good discussion of TB2's colour left here for reference.

Excuse me copying and cutting this original thread

Cap'n

David

Alphans
hehe, cheers for the welcome guys. Looks like im the baby of the forum! :lol:

I just love Derek Meddings's designs, all of them, even the lesser mentioned sidewinder and other things like that. I've always wanted to build models of them and i'm glad I've discovered this forum.

Just thought I'd post a pic of My TB2 model kit which I built shortly after the Fireflash above. I moved away from the Gerry Anderson models for a while, and built other models, Titanic probably being the centre piece. Ive now come back to tackle those Gerry Anderson craft with a little bit more experience on my belt. So I'm afraid I might be bugging you all for tips in the coming months! :lol:

DX-SFX

Alphans
I echo that sentiment. Nice models. The colour of that TB2 looks good too. It's currently a hot topic. Can we ask what colour you used on that one?

David

Alphans
Thanks guys! It was a few years ago now, so I can't remember what the exact colour was, but I do know that it was a Humbrol Satin enamel. I'll post back if I find the exact colour. Is it just me or did the TB2 colour change between the first and second series and the film? I think most of us seem to try and replicate the first colour.

Woohoo! My Fireflash kit has just arrived in the post. My first annoying question... would you ever paint items while they are still on the plastic frame? Or do you build the entire model and then paint? Its always tricky to know the best order to do things.

w8cmp

Alphans
I think I used a similar Humbrol satin green for my TB2

With the Fireflash kit, build the main fuselage, engine pods, wingtips etc as subassemblies and paint / decal separately. You'll need to do some filling / smoothing of joints before you start priming / painting.

Bring it all together once finished.

saturnapollo

Alphans
Chris' TB2 looks very similar to the colour I used. Not a satin paint but Humbrol spray grass green. That was two or three years ago when Humbrol sprays had been mixed wrongly or something and the paint would only adhere to itself or plastic. Even once dried, white spirit would disolve it on contact (I know to my cost), so it was quickly sealed with a matt spray varnish. Not sure if you can get it anymore as Wonderland in Edinburgh refused to stock Humbrol spray paints after that!

Keith

Bishop

Alphans
That might be easier for me to get hold of that than Rover Apple Jack. I'll actually have to get the stuff mixed up "Its very old... haven't seen that stuff for years.."

Bishop

Alphans
I found it. Its Humbrol Satin 131 Mid green, and its as close as I'm going to get anywhere. Thanks for the heads up guys. Now all I need is the air brush. I shall invest in one and use canned air until I become very rich and can buy a compressor. I've only looked in one shop so far and that was enough for one heart attack!!!

HUNCH

Alphans
Man David, that color and weathering on TB2 looks fantastic!:yes: Do try and find the exact color you used, a lot of people will want to know. could it be what tony 42 said?
Humbrol satin 131 mid green? wonder if I can get that in the states. The way my luck with colors go...I'd have to guess no.

And a great build of the fireflash w8cmp! Always wanted to do that one, but the cost of the kit is keeping it just out of reach.:cry:

w8cmp

Alphans
Thanks for the comments guys...

The TB2 was definitely Humbrol satin 131, dull coated with Microscale flat and then with some graphite & oil paint weathering on top.

David

Alphans
Hi Hunch

could it be what tony 42 said?
Humbrol satin 131 mid green?

Yeah i'm 90% sure thats what I used too.

While we're on the subject of colours, what ones did you use for your fireflash w8cmp? I'm working on the Aoshima kit right now but i can't progress because I can't find the right colours anywhere. Anyone got any ideas?

w8cmp

Alphans
I used Humbol's 'Lufthansa Blue' for the dark blue areas (probably no longer available in their current range). Perhaps French Blue would be close...

The lighter colour was a custom mix of Humbrol silver, white and light blue, but I feel it probably needed a touch more light blue added.

Last edited: