Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Dismantling a vintage kit_old tube glue loosening.

miger1

Alphans
Hi.
I'm looking to strip down a vintage kit to re-build from scratch.
It hasn't been painted (good/bad?), but is there a way to make separating the parts easier?
I've looked at posts on the site and it rightly explains that old tube glue 'welds' parts together and that putting in a freezer in water can help 'open up' parts a little?
Any ideas/suggestions Guys? it's an expensive model and i don't want to do it any damage.

Eaglelover

Alphans
This video on Youtube maybe helpful I just finished watching it. To separating the parts, (he had a special tool for that), to removing the paint. Be careful putting it into the freezer it can also make the plastic brittle as well.

post without linky

Last edited:

miger1

Alphans
Thanks for that Eaglelover. The model he uses certainly looks more push fit than the 'glue bombs' that would be harder to dismantle though :)
Is there anything that might loosen the glue/joints first but not attacker the plastic? (this is why I considered the freezer option)

Eaglelover

Alphans
You might want to try to soak in the product he did first before you try to take it apart. Soaking it first might help to loosen it a bit. What kit are you talking about? That could be helpful. All styrene, resin a mix of the two a lot of detail? Would just removing the paint be enough without taking it apart?