To boldly go where no PE consumer has gone before. Or something...
Having the breaking strain of a Kit-Kat and the curiosity of a 13 stone, 5ft 8" blue-eyed cat, I set about dismantling the PE23 Eagle with a view to rectifying an apparent CM misalignment.
The CM couplings are epoxied to the forward cagework and I believe that most of the model is glued this way with the odd screw or three thrown in for good measure.
I carefully separated the CM couplings with precision cuts administered with my Dremel on low speed setting. So far so good.
Now to remove the back of the CM from the forward cage. Easier said than done. The back of the CM is strongly attached to a thick length of resin which runs into the cage area. A few firm twists and application of pressure brought with it several disturbing and most unwelcome cracking noises. No apparent damage though - but no forward movement of the CM either.
I surmised from this that it would be worth checking under the forward VTOL engines for screws. Wiggling them (much like the ones on the PE12) brought about their fairly easy removal. The VTOLs are in fact in two halves - the bell itself and a mounting plate recessed into the cagework. One separated, one didn't. No biggie.
When the VTOLs were finally free from the cage, a quick poke around to remove the resindue™ revealed two holes through which are two brass screws. On attempting to remove them, I found that they didn't actually come out of the holes completely and the CM still wasn't budging... :bang:
However, what stopped me dead in my tracks there and then was the fact that the passenger pod was, alarmingly, now coming loose! "No. Stop right there, you're gonna kill it", I told myself. Thankfully I listened.
So I reversed up and re-glued all the parts back together again. Phew!
In summary then, this new toy of ours is One Tough Cookie that isn't going to come apart without a fight. Built like the proverbial brick s***house she is.
I recommend that unless you're highly skilled (or have more money than sense) you leave well alone and don't attempt to dismantle her too deeply. It just might end in tears!
Other observations are:
• Bottom plate of passenger pod is (at least) epoxied. Removal of this will be difficult but might reveal attachments to the two companionways and/or the passenger pod legs and VTOls.
• The rear engine assembly is primarily attached with a brass screw running through the 'center column'. Removing this won't help much I think - because the rest of the fragile cagework is welded together with epoxy.
• The paintwork is quite thick and any twisting of the cagework is likley to result in a cracked and/or chipped surface. Thankfully in my case it was minimal but be prepared to respray if you choose to nose around too much.
So in closing, I'm going to leave the inevitable further biopsies to you more experienced Eagle technicians. Your findings are more than welcome here onwards. :thumbup: