Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Doctor Who Voyage Of The Damned

MkIXHawk

Alphans
To be honest, the whole series is becoming formulaic with lots of running around corridors or Time-travelling Daleks...
I think the underlying problem is the format of 13 50-minute stories which reallly doesn't give time for plot development. Under the 25-minute format, there was time to build up tension to the cliff-hanger which you'd have to wait a week to see the conclusion.

Yet Thunderbirds, UFO and Space:1999 all managed to make the 50-minute format work

Unless things improve, I might just give the whole thing a miss

Last edited:

Straker90

Alphans
Absolutely :thumbup:

I thought Sally was being groomed (if that's the right word) as the next companion. Then they killed her off :(
Or did they?

Sally Sparrow wasn't killed of, she runs a second hand DVD store with Larry the guy who helped her out throughout the eipsode (Blink)

captainjamie

Alphans
Dilbert and DX's points summed it up for me.

I'd already had my pantomime fix - John Barrowman :drool: in Aladdin @ Birmingham Hippodrome - and very good it was too, and enjoyed the Ken Dodd programmes on Christmas Eve, so I was quite open to some good entertainment.

Although I was a bit miffed at missing The Great Escape.

RTD has, I fear, lost the plot. Steven Moffat should replace him. The Dalek and Cyberman storylines are all but ruined, one set of aliens wears the same New Rocks I have in my wardrobe and now we have the least popular casting ever for a companion.

DT is good, don't get me wrong. But he deserves better material. I'm happier watching Dalek Invasion Of Earth than most of the new series.

Has anyone got the new voice controlled Dalek yet?

Retroboy

Alphans
I kinda struggle to engage with new Dr Who especially any written by RTD . Daleks hover , they don't fly , Cybermen are like Borg , not just brains in a robot body and don't get me started about Peter Kay . Where's the fear or the horror . I suppose i'm just getting old but I think I'd still rather watch the old shows . Don't get me wrong , I'm still greatful to RTD for what he and his team have done , It's great to see the young kids today enjoying it sooooo much . For me though , it really does feel like a kids show now, it never felt like that with the old shows . I think the Big Finish cds do a much better job of getting the right tone . Yeh grandad , move over , I know ...........

spiffer

Alphans
Sally Sparrow wasn't killed of, she runs a second hand DVD store with Larry the guy who helped her out throughout the eipsode (Blink)

Sorry, I was thinking of the girl from the Big Brother house on Satellite Five. That was Lynda, not Sally :doh::dunce:

Got that completely wrong didn't I. :oops:

Sally Sparrow would make an excellent companion though. Blink was one of my favourite stories of the new (Eccleston / Tennant) series.

Bishop

Alphans
Yes, agreed. We have a cemetery near my house and there's an angel on a grave stone... my children are rather chuffed that they have an alien living so close

spiffer

Alphans
Cybermen are like Borg , not just brains in a robot body....

The Cybermen were from Mondas and came long before the Borg.
These new things might be Cyber Men but they are not THE Cybermen.
Whenever I see (or rather hear) the new ones I can't get 'The Wrong Trousers' out of my mind.

These new things might be Cyber Men but they are not THE Cybermen.
Whenever I see (or rather hear) the new ones I can't get 'The Wrong Trousers' out of my mind.

Absolutely. 'It's the wrong Cybermen Grommit !' Completely ruined one of Who's best adversaries.

Straker90

Alphans
What did everyone think of the new arrangement of the theme tune? It's growing on me but I think I prefer the old one

Dr Kane

Alphans
I thought the new Cybermen inhabited an alternate universe and therefore weren't retrospectively replacing the original ones in the 'Whoniverse'. It's more a case of parallel evolution, or something like that.

I'll admit I didn't like the revamped Cyberman design when I first saw a pic in a magazine, but I've grown to really like it. Still wish they had the Baker-era shower-of-sparks helmet-mounted gun, though.

Dr Kane

Alphans
What did everyone think of the new arrangement of the theme tune? It's growing on me but I think I prefer the old one

Was there a new arrangement for 'VOTD'? Or do you mean the 'new' orchestral version we've had since RTD revived the series? If you mean the latter, I really like it.

captainjamie

Alphans
My favourite Cybermen are the original ones from Tenth Planet. The main influence behind Kit Pedler's creations was of dehumanised medicine, that's why these Cybermen are so scary. In colour I'd imagine them as being even more horrifying. If you haven't heard the Big Finish audio story Spare Parts I really recommend it.

Cybermen wearing cricket batting gloves was a mistake. I'm sure it was a great selling point for whichever manufacturer's gloves were used but as a (part time) cricketer it really detracted from them for me.

It doesn't take much effort to bring the proper Cybermen back - there's got to be a few around the sewers of London somewhere. Illegal Alien anyone?

The Wrong Cybermen got a loud laugh. That picture's going to stay with me for a long time...

I didn't see the point of Adric as a companion. A smartarse companion isn't going to work that well in the format as it's supposed to be The Doctor who's the know it all.

When I originally read Sally Sparrow I read Sally Smirnoff, the erstwhile "partner" of the late Jeffrey Barnard.

On the music, my personal favourite theme is the Peter Howells 1980s one (listen to the intro to the BF story Davros and you'll see what I mean) followed by the original.

And I won't be watching the new series. I don't watch tv anyway, just DVDs. And the odd game of guitar hero

\m/ \m/

Straker90

Alphans
Was there a new arrangement for 'VOTD'? Or do you mean the 'new' orchestral version we've had since RTD revived the series? If you mean the latter, I really like it.

No it was a brand new opening theme, the orginal delia derbyshire bass has gone now, and it seems to sound more rock like in general, you can compare to on you tube
http://youtube.com/watch?v=02hh8_HAGyk this is the Series 1-3 version
http://youtube.com/watch?v=knSfay5-SsI this is the Voyage of the damned version

Straker90

Alphans
I'm no audiophile, but do I hear some piano toward the end of the new version? :think:

Indeed there is some piano in there, i do miss the delia derbyshire bass in there with the dumdadum dumdadum. oh well it has grown on me alot :lol:

DX-SFX

Alphans
The very original version was fairly simple and suitably weird sounding as befitted the series. I quite like the richer more orchestral high energy sound of the new one which again befits the new incarnation but other than sharing the same melody, they feel completely different.

CR

Alphans
That new version reminds me of something that is getting waaaaaaaaaayyy over-hyped on this side of the pond: The Trans-Siberian Orchestra, a fusion of rock & symphony orchestra, playing Christmas tunes. Really neat sound, as long as you don't hear it every time there's an ad break on the radio. Which is to say, every three or four minutes. :bang: (Plus, one of their tunes got radio airplay this past Christmas season. Lots of airplay.)

Liberator

Alphans
That new version reminds me of something that is getting waaaaaaaaaayyy over-hyped on this side of the pond: The Trans-Siberian Orchestra, a fusion of rock & symphony orchestra, playing Christmas tunes. Really neat sound, as long as you don't hear it every time there's an ad break on the radio. Which is to say, every three or four minutes. :bang: (Plus, one of their tunes got radio airplay this past Christmas season. Lots of airplay.)

Dont hear them on the radio much here down under - well who knows I dont listen a lot to the radio. But I do love their Wizards In Winter. That was the music used for the guy in the USA for the Xmas light display - totally in sync with the music and one of the best displays I have ever seen. I now have that track on my cd compilation for the car.