Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Drawing Black Lines on Models

headcase

Alphans
OK I ran a search and didn't turn up anything on this, so here goes. I've looked at probably hundreds of photos of Eagles now, as research for my own build, and something I've been wondering is: how does one make nice, dark lines on a model. I've seen Eagles (both as CGI and other peoples' models) with beautiful, sharp, dark, razor thin lines on them and I can't fathom how it's done. I don't know of a pen or paint marker that will work on a painted surface that can make lines so very thin and I don't know of any kind of pencil that could make lines as dark as I have seen them done on some models. PLEASE don't tell me it's decals!!

Thanks in advance, as I contemplate doing this to my Eagle!! :thumbup:

phicks

Alphans
Go to an art supply store and ask for Micron markers. They are similar to magic markers, but way better in that one can purchase thicknesses as low as 1 mm. Also, they only emit ink as they are moved over a surface - so if you slow down or even stop halfway through a line, you don't end up with a thicker line or blotch at that location.

SteveDix

Alphans
OK I ran a search and didn't turn up anything on this, so here goes. I've looked at probably hundreds of photos of Eagles now, as research for my own build, and something I've been wondering is: how does one make nice, dark lines on a model. I've seen Eagles (both as CGI and other peoples' models) with beautiful, sharp, dark, razor thin lines on them and I can't fathom how it's done. I don't know of a pen or paint marker that will work on a painted surface that can make lines so very thin and I don't know of any kind of pencil that could make lines as dark as I have seen them done on some models. PLEASE don't tell me it's decals!!

Thanks in advance, as I contemplate doing this to my Eagle!! :thumbup:

It's decals.

No, seriously, at Cosford Hilton pointed out to me on a 44" example that a number of the finer panel markings actually come from letraset architectural sets.

Last edited:

headcase

Alphans
LOL! Thanks, Gents!!
I've been accenting recessed panel lines and other greeblies for years with artist's oil paints, and occasionally a colored pencil but for the life of me I couldn't figure a way to get lines as thin and dark as I've seen on some of these Eagle builds. In some cases I am planning on printing lines on decal film and using that for dashed likes and solid lines in other colors besides black.

NOTE: It should say "dashed lines" NOT "dashed likes". Ugh!

Last edited:

Badger

Alphans
In the past I've scribed lines into the paint with a scalpel and rubbed graphite powder (pencil dust) into the line to blacken it. Works well and the lines are very thin.

Karl

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Decals on the Eagle are just the small square'sh, or odd, shapes, that are Letraset outlines of toilets and washbasins. The panel lines are biro as stated above. On some models (like the Moonbase Interceptor) they appear to have gone over the biro with a pencil to add a sort of dirtier edge, to emphasize it. Also running a sharp blade over it cuts the paint, which as stated catchs dirt, but also light so the eye can see it better.
Also some lines on the Eagle are scribed into the plastic surfaces of the Beak and passenger pod, but not the shoulder pods.

headcase

Alphans
Great info coming in here, Guys! I've spent several hours putting together a graphics file with some of the shapes I can pick up from the photos I have, to print onto decal paper, and I have the JBot decal sheet.