Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Eagle - Most Interesting Facts?

Masterspy

Alphans
Helloah!

I'm writing an article at the moment and one of the sections is on the Eagle. Now I know a bit about Space: 1999 (though not as much as I do about the SuperM shows) and I need to write five points of interest about the Eagle and Space's SFX. Before I commit to paper my thoughts, I was wondering if anyone could suggest any interesting points? Factual stuff only please.

Thanks!

dukedexter

Alphans
Helloah!

I'm writing an article at the moment and one of the sections is on the Eagle. Now I know a bit about Space: 1999 (though not as much as I do about the SuperM shows) and I need to write five points of interest about the Eagle and Space's SFX. Before I commit to paper my thoughts, I was wondering if anyone could suggest any interesting points? Factual stuff only please.

Thanks!

How about-
1. Brian Johnson based the Eagle design on an insect - not exactly sure which one :)
2. FX done using multiple exposure technique
3. Eagles used freon gas canisters - that'll get up the noses of the eco-warriors :O
4. Models were stationary and the camera moved (most of the time)
5. Maybe someone could tell you how much an Eagle cost to build?

martin

Alphans
  1. There were various sizes of model- mostly 44 inch, 22 inch and 11 inch long, but 5 1/2 inch and larger sections also. Plus the full sized set of course.
  2. There were different models of the same size- 3 different 44 inches for instance. But they never blew one up for real.
  3. There were also cardboard ones. Sometimes these are obvious, but many times flat cutouts worked well.
  4. There are some neat matte shots- showing the (live action) pilots inside the Eagle.
  5. The original design for the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars are rejected because it looked too much like an Eagle.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Eagle Stuff....

How about:

Most of the main assemblies of the studio model were made from wood.

The 44" Model's featured working gas engines and leg suspension.

It took an average of 3 months to build one Eagle for the show.

They were finished in cellulose car paint (Ford Diamond White) and plastic kit parts from companies like Airfix to add interesting surface details.

The framework was made from brass tube to stand up to the rigours of filming many crashes and explosions.

The landing pad for the Eagle was actually a lift lowering the ship to an underground "garage".

The Eagle is a workhorse spacecraft being able to change it's central section for several variants of equipment platforms.

The Command Module of the Eagle could detach in an emergency and act as a lifeboat for the pilots.

The Eagle is a utility vehicle happiest when flown in space, atmosphere and in particular bad weather raises reliability "issues".

These models still exist (in the hands of private collectors) and there is a whole fan base grown up around them who run forums, build replicas and love all things Space: 1999. :D

Cap'n

The detailing on the 44 inch Eagles was different on each one, and included parts from Gemini and Apollo Saturn V model kits. The first Eagle built had aircraft bulkheads and other aircraft parts haphazardly placed within the front and the rear "cages."

David Sisson has posted his work restoring this model on his website - it's a must-see regarding the Eagle.

w8cmp

Alphans
Of course this was the season 2 detailing as on the model now. The season 1 detailing was markedly different with 1:35 scale tank top deck panels adorning the corridors & EMA parts on the shelves

w8cmp

Alphans
They only used three...not bad considering.

And they're all still relatively easy to get hold of...