Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Eagle weathering - Airbrush or Decals ?

scatta

Alphans
Slipping or mis-firing with an airbrush is total misery when trying to do delicate weathering and panel detail.

Would it be easier just to design and and print out some decals?

However my concerns are:
Would the decals look all shiny while the Eagle is under a spot-light or flash photography?
Would the Decals start to peel in time?
I've noticed the decal film of the inkjet sheets are thicker than the factory produced ones and could create a dust trap that could show on edges of the clear part of the decal (like the clear end of the gradient filled panel work for instance).

Please, your thoughts and advice...

joeb

Alphans
I made my own decals for my 44" Eagle and they are my biggest gripe about the model, because they are shiny. As you mentioned the inkjet film is thick and that posed a problem when I weathered it. I used pastel chalk and it hung up on the edges of the decals and looked awful. I ended up weathering the model, sealing it with dull coat then applying the decals and sealing it again. I never could fix the shiny problem. I love the look you can get with decals but for the shininess. I would also like to hear from someone who has a fix for this.

Joe

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
In most of my builds I undertake a tried and tested process:

Prime, Block colour(s), Drawn lines, Weathering and shading, Fixing clear coat, Decals and markings, final dull coat to seal everything. It takes longer like this but it gives much better control of the overall look of the weathering.

Talk to Uncle Bill about decals, he has ALPS printers and can produce "rub downs" his rates are pretty good and he supplies quality products. :thumbup:

steeple

Alphans
i used to have success with grinding a pencil on a sheet of sand paper and applying it with a brush. has to be on a matt model though. i found it looked more 'gritty' than airbrushing, and you could lick the brush point to draw streaks though it. i found using an airbrush too stressful :D