Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Ed Straker's Car from UFO

Nige194

Alphans
I'm not sure if this subject has been mentioned anywhere in the forums but there were two cars produced for UFO and I happened to find one years ago.

I was travelling south to Kent and noticed the car in a driveway, so I stopped on the way back home to take a look.

It was owned by a scrap merchant and it had been painted with scenes from the series. The interior was basic and it had the very long steering wheel. It was a little rusty in parts and the owners son told me it was based on a Ford Zephyr chassis.

It was found again about ten years ago here.....

http://ufoseries.com/jeffSmartVideo/mystery3.jpg

Dave Lee Travis owned one of the cars at one time but I don't know if it was this one or the other car.

Does anyone know if this car got restored or where the other one is?

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
The last I had heard this car was rotting quietly away covered in overgrowth and walled into someone's garden. I would love to know what has happend to this iconic vehicle too. I hope the rumours are not true... :hmm:

Gixergs

Alphans
I don't how it is now but it is the DLT car.I remember many years ago I helped to push it into a paint shop in Rochester.

Blue Moon

Alphans
I used to live down the road from the guy who owned one of the cars-NOT THE DLT ONE. When we were kids we used to see it driving round our village. It looked sooooo cool and futuristic. In fact one of my best friends lived just over the road from him and it used to be parked outside my friends house quite often. We knew it was from UFO, even though we had never really seen the show-wasn't shown much in the seventies in the Granada region. We all had the dinky toys anfd the annuals though. I ended up working with the guy who owned it years later, but didn't know it till he after he left!:O I think he was called Mike Hammond or something like that, any way it was cool and red and looked ace zooming about. Sadly it ended up sitting, rotting in his mothers house driveway for years! Then one day I was in the pub with the lad who used to live opposite and he told me that he'd seen a group of blokes loading it on to a flat bed truck and sure enough, next time I went passed the house it was gone. Over the years it was sat there, I considered repeatedly to go and make an offer for it, but I never did......................:no:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Noooooooooo, that's the one I was told about, left to rot away. That's so sad.:cry:

Is there any chance of finding out what happened to it?

Blue Moon

Alphans
Nope don't think so, as I said it was left there for years and it was his mothers house, in fact I used to pop over occasionaly with mates to show them, the lady was quite elderly, but not fazed by visitors, she said people would come by all the time to look at the car. Sadly, she died a good few years ago(after the car was removed) then the house was sold, as to where Mike is now-retired somewhere I guess?:yes: I have a local press clipping on the car somewhere, see if I can find it.

Blue Moon

Alphans
This is the only article I can find-this is the car were talking about, restored for more publicity work, before the bloke that lived near me bought it.:thumbup:

Attachments

• speedAndPower75.jpg
    speedAndPower75.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 179

Steve Zodiac

Alphans
The Straker car is in the Midlands and is actually trapped in the back garden of the house it is at, they had an extension built, and would require a crane to get it out. Many have tried to buy it but the answer is always no.

BTW I last saw it about twenty five years ago on the road being towed to where it is now.

Last edited:

Blue Moon

Alphans
Yep thats the car, I think it was moved from my local about the early to mid nineties, I know it can't have been earlier, because I was one telling somebody at work about it, (about 1988 ) and I said it was easier to show them. So off we popped in our lunch hour over to the house to see it, knocked on the door, the old lady answered and we asked if it was ok for us to have a look. She was always very friendly and polite and said if we wanted to pop back and take photos, it was no problem-wish I had now! I remember it was in very poor condition, covered mostly in a blue car cover, at least one headlight was missind and had a car sponge plugging the hole! the side windows were cracked-I think they were persex not glass? and it had 'ford ufo' written on the rear in small black computer letters.:yes:

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
I was lucky enough to see this (Foster's) car before it was taken off the road AND have a ride in it!
Phil

Nige194

Alphans
So it seems that Strakers car was the one that I have seen and was repainted with the scenes from the show and Fosters car was the EPP 474G above.

Does anyone know which one was owned by DLT and which is the one that seems stuck in someone's garden and can only be craned out from behind an extension?