Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

FAB 1 Scratchbuild

Cruzin

Alphans
The site needs attention badly and the work shown is just a small sample of what I have done over the last 38 years.
It will be way more interesting when the clever projects get posted.

Am about to close up shop
And hope to eventually be able to do some things for myself, like finishing FAB1

Cruzin

Alphans
Just found some pictures of the mould I made for the body

Fun Pod

Alphans
Now that's some might nice fiberglassing, Cruzin! :thumbup:

As stated in the above article, FAB 1 dimensions were generally recorded as 21 x 8 ft: what are the dimensions of your wee beauty and what scale would that make it?

Cruzin

Alphans
Thanks
Have done a bit of it over the years.
The body is at my shop, I will measure it up in the next day or so and post the dimensions.
Dont remember the exact scale I built it to, just made some mud maps and worked it from there.Will have to see if I still have the working drawings somewhere
Had to be big enough for a small to medium child to fit in

Fun Pod

Alphans
Thanks for taking the time to measure her up, Cruzin'.

The length scales as 1/3 - third scale. The width scales as 1/4 - quarter scale. Of course, this interpretation is for a single occupant pedal car, so best to taylor its dimensions to the comfort of its intended use.

Cruzin

Alphans
Not bad concidering it was not a serious 100% accurate copy.

But now I think its time to get serious and make it look the part. As I have a good base to start the restyling process
Can you point me in the direction of where I can get accurate dimensions.
I understand there are up to 4 differently styled and proportioned versions that were used during filming.
Just need to look at the other great builds of this car posted here and on other sites.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Look at what I just found
Still pinned to the back of the door on our home garage (the storage area of our home, not a place to park a car) is the mud map i did before carving up the plug. Seeing I dont usually look at the back of this door I had totally forgotten it was still there.The dimension were based on a plastic model a mate had and he sent me some dimensions and some photos I tried to scale up, something else i had forgotten.
Am onto a second hand unbuilt kit now, that I will pick up in a couple of days
The wind blew the door shut when I was in there and when i turned around it was staring at me after all these years
Am now looking for a folder with a collection of scans and other material related to FAB1 that is filed somewhere.
Seeing I have buit so many special projects over the years and some were extremly complex, some detail of certain projects just get lost in the memory bank till you shake things up enough to get them back up to the top where they can be accessed
Now I just need to remember where I put my other glasses?????

Last edited:

Fun Pod

Alphans
Ahhh, accurate dimensions for FAB 1 - now there’s a grail!

During research for my project, I never found a solitary reference that was verified as of studio model origin. So, as a compromise, I ran with the often quoted reference of 21x8 feet, which originates from either the Thunderbirds or TV21 Annual cutaway art. It’s possible the dimensions were the artistic licence of the artist/editor, but it is also possible that the measurement came from a house production bible, but again, nothing concrete supports either. I eyeballed certain measurements until, overall, the dimensions ‘felt’ correct.

Cruzin’, I'd be happy to help you with your project in any way I can.

age9000

Alphans
fab one size

looking through the old phillips auction book for when Phil sold her back in 95
they state the size as 259x91x70cm

wonder where she is now ??

Cruzin

Alphans
FUN POD, thanks heaps, and I will take you up on that as soon as I start

Age9000, that 70cm must be to the top of the bubble canopy. My measurements were for the body side, but taking into account the bubble 70cm sounds like it could have been

age9000

Alphans
yeah, i expect the measurments that philips auction rooms took would have been bumper to bumper and floor to roof
though you dont know how well they took the measurements, but guess its the best measurments available unless someone can measure the original wherever it is, apparently somewhere in the usa

shame we are so far away otherwise i would have offered to help too :)

Fun Pod

Alphans
Hmm, well that length translates as 1/2 scale, which it definitely is not, while length comes in at 1/3 scale. I think it's fair say that the studio puppet scale FAB 1 is just that - "big enough" to seat puppets. Fans have often rightly commented that even the puppet version appears huge -even overscaled,when characters stand next to it.

Blue Moon

Alphans
Blimey-blast from the past :O I remember that show, I had it on audio tape of it for years-we didn't have a video recorder when it ran! :cry:

age9000

Alphans
here is a photo ( i think from the exhibition that was in scotland arround 1986 )
shows the scale of the puppets against FAB1

Attachments

• fab.jpg
    fab.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 72