Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

FAB 1 Scratchbuild

age9000

Alphans
i was wondering on a price too :)
but thought the shipping cost might be a lot
and almost certain customs would want something due to the size of it !

here are some photos of the poor old girl before she was restored in the early 80s

have got some "after" shots somewhere will have a look for them

Attachments

• FAB 1 repairs 2.jpg
    FAB 1 repairs 2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 111
  • FAB 1 repairs!.jpg
    FAB 1 repairs!.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 100
  • FAB 1 repairs 3.jpg
    FAB 1 repairs 3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Fun Pod

Alphans
I recall seeing the first picture many years ago, but not the following two. Who provided the resto? MB?

age9000

Alphans
yep, restored by the great MB, very helpful chap

still looking for the after photos, on an old hard drive somewhere

age9000

Alphans
found them :)

note the white leather

Attachments

• FAB 1 & Parker.jpg
    FAB 1 & Parker.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 93
  • FAB 1 repairs 4.jpg
    FAB 1 repairs 4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 115

age9000

Alphans
only black on tv and in films

no idea on the change to white,
maybe who ever owned it at the time thought to change it

when phil got hold of her he had it changed back to black

Fun Pod

Alphans
Now that's one proud Chauffeur!

That's right - black with white piping is canon. I doubt MB would have over-looked such an obvious detail (even his comission studio scale replica is correct in this respect), so one does wonder whether he was under orders or there was a budgetary constraint.

The things hurting my eyes are the window wipers!

age9000

Alphans
the parker puppet is the one that MB owned at the time of the refurb

the wipers must have been another "owner" asked for "upgrade"

all that was left of the car when MB restored it was the main body, the rear bumper
and one side of the perspex screen, MB had to re-do everything else, and in his own words is no longer original as less that 50% of the car was original, he did tell philips auctions when they sold it but they were not interested !

Blue Moon

Alphans
Hmmm all very interesting, does anyone know, WHO has the full size commissioned one,anyone here like to own up.lol!:think:

Also, I think it's very sad the car was in this condition, I know the original radiator grill was stolen while it was on display in Blackpool.

I visited the exhibition with my dad one sunday morning and couldn't believe how easy it was for the public to get to the models. As we were leaving, (we were the only people in the exhibition) a group of 'lads' 'invaded' the exhibition, running through it, shouting the theme tunes from Captain scarlet etc and shaking the glass cabinets, and generally running amuck! I was only a small boy and found it very frightening, my Dad ushered me out and we left quickly. A few days later the local press reported the theft of the grill, under the headline....'Lady Penelope loses her cooler!' And I was convinced it was these thugs who had taken it! :no:

Cruzin

Alphans
I have been otherwise occupied and not been on here for a while.
After much thinking on exactly what to do with my project I have decided to do a revised body master and new moulds. Along with all the other pieces to finish off a complete replica. Based on the body I have already made as the starting point
I need the help of those far more informed than me on FAB 1. I believe there are as many as four varients in design depending on the scale of the models used for filming.
What would be the most accurate or possibly the best accepted version to replicate.

Depending on the time it takes me to compile all the material needed, I would hope? and like to make a start on this new version early next year.

I would be extremly gratefull for any help, either in your personal preference or pictures of the different models used as a comparison.

Last edited:

Fun Pod

Alphans
Cruzin’, I'd be happy to help you with your project in any way I can.

Anyone else actively following this thread, this is the place to share the wealth, so jump in with your :2c: as each enquiry or debate arises and let's see if we can help anyone contemplating a FAB 1 build through to completion.

It seems likely photographic reference will be required, so be prepared to illustrate your point for clarity. Hopefully, this will create a common visual resource, from which modellers can choose their preference.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Fun Pod

Alphans
Ok, let's roll!

Firstly, I personally prefer this studio model, which featured on one of the C21 record covers (posted by DX-SFX elsewhere on the forum):

Certainly, of all the variants used, it has the most pleasing profile.

I estimate the scale to be approximately 1/16 scale, purely by eyeballing these two pictures:

It may sound like heresy, but although the puppet scale FAB 1 is a justly iconic movie prop, it is my least favourite variant :O.

Last edited:

Cruzin

Alphans
I agree that this version has the most pleasing profile
Some slight design adjustments, to lighten and better balance some areas would be nice.

Cruzin

Alphans
Unfortunately there has been no progress on my project due to other priorities.
Everything is safely stored, and will be restarted when able.