Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Fanderson '82

Dave

Alphans
I was there...

Were you?

paulcarson

Alphans
No, alas I was still at school and totally unaware of this type of thing going on... :(

Are those models Martin Bower's replicas ?

Dave

Alphans
No, alas I was still at school and totally unaware of this type of thing going on... :(

Are those models Martin Bower's replicas ?

Hey, I was still at school too!

No, that isn't Martin Bower's models.

From what I remember the Zero X was a real nice model, but just wasn't the right finish/colour and lacked a lot of detail. Would be interested to know if it still exists.

The SPV was radio controlled and won the model contest.

Last edited:

Dunc1

Alphans
I Was There

Fanderson 82 was one of the most exciting events in my life, to date. I met Shane Rimmer, Ed Bishop and Gerry Anderson for the first time, and Barry Gray for the one and only time. Pam Barnes was the main organiser and although quite strict and formal, she did a great job. I remember getting a severe rebuke from one of the stewards because my convention badge was slightly hidden under a flap on my jacket. All the organisers worked very hard. A wonderful weekend and I met some lovely people. The real buzz of the Convention was the news that Terrahawks had been given the go ahead. Gerry's career was entering a new phase and at the time everything seemed possible. I cannot believe it was nearly 28 years ago. Now where are my photos?

Jim Lewis

Alphans
Looks like TERRAHAWKS effects guy Mark Harris top left in the top photo. He was a regular attendee at Anderson events for years as a fan. He's gone a long way since then as well. Good luck to him. My first offiicial event was FANDERSON 84 but had been to a couple of events prior to Fanderson being formed. Great to see these photos. Thanks for posting.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Brings back a few memories - I spent a good few hours in that room!
I believe that the Zero-X wasn't finished at the time - but it looked very impressive.
Thanks for putting the pictures up.

Masterspy

Alphans
There are videos of the first three Fanderson conventions - it's very odd to see certain fans in their younger days!

Retroboy

Alphans
Is the guy next to Mark Harris ( with the beard ) the same guy who was on those 1999 set visit photos ( minus beard ) posted here a whie ago ?

mike s

Alphans
I was there:)

I do remember the Zero-X wasn't finished

I remember:

seeing the SPV but the guy couldn't make it go as it didn't like the carpets in the hotel

Barry Gray singing his skit cos the piano had been lent out

Shane Rimmer being cool - I'd buy him a beer now but at the time I was much too shy!

great speech by Barry Morse (think that was at '82)

and a lot of other stuff - it was magic!

does anybody have any more pics..? I'd love to see them:)

Mike

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Barry Gray singing his skit cos the piano had been lent out

great speech by Barry Morse (think that was at '82)

Mike

Yep that was pretty amazing - Barry Gray talking about his music and playing it on a piano - except they didn't have the piano for him , so he did the music without an instrument! And it worked.

Barry Morse and his 30 minute time slot - 1 hour plus later and the organisers were still trying to get him off the stage - STOP Talking Barry!

Mike Delamar

Alphans
must have been frustrating back then trying to make replicas with no dvd, or even video???? where they available on vid back then?

must have just had to go by the pics in the annuals and comics?

Mike

eagleles

Alphans
Me and my mate Laurence were going to bed (in seperate rooms, you understand *g*) when we spotted Barry Gray and started chatting with him. He asked us if we were going down from breakfast the next morning and we said we were. He then said he would see us there. And he did - we spent a brilliant time over breakfast chatting with Barry Gray...fabulous.

Cheers
Les

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
must have been frustrating back then trying to make replicas with no dvd, or even video???? where they available on vid back then?

must have just had to go by the pics in the annuals and comics?

Mike

Yes, No and Yes.

As said it was pretty much a case of collecting any magazine or book that had a picture in it and trying to build your own photo library - the annuals were a big help and buying the old TV21s from dealers were the main source of info until the Japanese books appeared.

polaroyd

Alphans
That’s my SPV and Fireball XL5 in the top photo! Mark is the guy on the left as well. It was incredibly difficult trying to be accurate in those days, the annuals and other surviving stuff from the sixties were pretty much all there was to go on. Fanderson started selling pictures from the ITC library at some point so that helped and the only way to watch episodes was a few 8mm reels that were available unless they appeared on TV when you could tape them on a highly unreliable VHS recorder on tapes that could cost £15 each! The SPV would go but it weighed a ton and didn’t like the extremely thick pile carpets in the hotel, it needed a bigger motor which I hadn’t had time to fit. It could also turn on a sixpence courtesy of the fact that only the centre axle didn’t steer!