Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Gerry Anderson Strike Fighter

techno

Alphans
Hey Folks, a Question that's Been Bugging me Finally Gave me Reason to Post:Has Anyone Ever Considered Using the SR-71 as the Basis for a Gerry Anderson Style Strike Fighter? I'm Thinking with Some of The Aircraft the World Navy Used in Thunderbirds, it might be Workable. What Say You? Thanks for Looking. Dan

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Paging Blackbird...!

:2c:

An interesting notion, for what was an interesting aircraft - especially as both speed and stealth figured rather prominently in its MO. A bird of a decidedly-different feather...one far more likely to detect would-be pursuers long before being itself detected; and, if need be, able to easily outdistance them! :eek:

saturnapollo

Alphans
Yes, I have considered it (though not necessarily a fighter as it is rather large for that) but the SR-71 is pretty distinctive so hard to conceal it's origins. The X-Men films used a modified one, but it is very obviously an SR-71.

Keith

Krel

Alphans
Yes, I have considered it (though not necessarily a fighter as it is rather large for that) but the SR-71 is pretty distinctive so hard to conceal it's origins. The X-Men films used a modified one, but it is very obviously an SR-71.

Keith

That comes from the comic book. The artist purposely based the X-Men plane on the SR-71 because he wanted to be able to make a model of the X-Men plane. :lol:

David.

Wardster

Alphans
You may want to check out the "Joe 90" episode, "Mission X-41," to see if you agree it's what you had in mind ... but the studio guys already arguably did what you're thinking of doing. (Therefore showing it's a good idea!) Their version had the back half of an early (and therefore, not super-correct in shape and details) SR-71 aircraft model kit, in one scale; creatively slammed together with (if memory serves) Mirage III bits (in another scale) blended in or on, up front.

Again, this is "if memory serves," but the rough difference in scale was 1:72 for the SR and 1:48 for the M3.

Anyway, the use of two different scales totally changed the look and apparent size of both models. I really liked the design, myself!

Last edited:

techno

Alphans
That Episode was Part of the Reason i Asked. i Didn't Know that a Mirage was Used for Part of it. i was Also Thinking that a Carrier Based Version,similar to the World Navy Fighter Jets might work! I'm planning to Build am SR-71 as a 'Sea Fighter' for the World Aquanaut Security Patrol. Dan

Wardster

Alphans
Others may do things differently, but for my build-up of the airplane design that was seen in that Joe 90 episode, I used a 1:72 scale SR-71 kit by Hasegawa (I had one laying around, unbuilt) and I picked up a 1:48 scale "AMD Mirage III C/B" kit by Heller on eBay. The latter kit had various different cockpit glass / nose bits to choose from: allowing me to swap parts to get pretty close to what's seen on-screen without any huge headaches.

But if you're going in a completely different direction, that's cool too!

KevinD

Alphans
It was obviously the basis for the Spacex toy 'Reconnaissance 2', so I'll be using one when I make my larger replica.

KevinD

Alphans
I have now made my replica of the Spacex Reconnaisance2 using the SR71 blackbird (a Dragon 144th scale one), there are pictures in the 'Dragons Domain' section.

boatshewsd2

Alphans
I have now made my replica of the Spacex Reconnaisance2 using the SR71 blackbird (a Dragon 144th scale one), there are pictures in the 'Dragons Domain' section.

Just took a look, Kevin - very nice! :yes: Clean lines, spare and stylish...

Got something of a kick out of the use of purple (!), a color we don't see in models too often. (The thin piping of bright blue set it off just right.)

Thanks for sharing! ;)

KevinD

Alphans
Thanks. Yep, it is a bit of a challenge dealing with the Spacex colour palette. Can't say as I'm looking forward to doing the bright PINK Needle Probe:-/