Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Gray and Houseman tractor screengrabs (image heavy)

Mike Delamar

Alphans
hi guys,

I thought id post screengrabs of the Gray and Houseman tractor from Thunderbirds, in the hope that people who are good at spotting kit parts recognise anything on it,

I think there where 2 scales, a smaller one lifted off the cliff edge by Thunderbird 2, its the main larger one Im interested in.

and I hope they are usefull for anyone who is planning a model of this great looking tractor, luckily theres lots of good angle shots of it in the end of the road episode.

if i could ever get hold of vickers tractor (head in clouds:wtf:) this is the one Id do,

I hope someone will do supirous castings of the vickers tractor.

I remember reading somewhere that the cab is from a car kit, if thats true it would have to be a big scale!

I can recognise some airfix girder bridge parts on the rear, Im not sure what the silver rocket tubes are from, at first I thought they could be jetex tubes that have been used up, but they appear to have rivet detail on one of the close ups so I think they could be plastic,

other things like the front tracks Im still not sure what they are from, the track itself looks like the side tracks on the mole,

theres quite a lot of fine mesh on the grills, wonder what thats from,

and even the yellow red and black tape on the missiles, is that available?

the model also had lights front and rear.

If anyone ever did make a studio replica of this, It would be a very big and impressive model, Ive included some grabs of it as the international rescue fire truck

it looked quite clean until the shots of it being hung, where it appears that it is black and fire scarred?

a couple of shots of it, well I imagine its the same, probably before the end of the road episode, in the episode security hazard, it has one of the water jets on the back seen on one of the fire engines in city of fire

of course it was the transmitter truck also, could also get some grabs of that if anyone wants or needs them

cheers

Mike

JD

Alphans
In the close-up when TB1 is holding up the tractor, the spoked disc on the lower grill reminds me of a wheel from the Airfix Omnibus. I don't have the bit any more to check, so just a guess.
You might check out Martin Bower's site here. He features several C21 replicas (stop sniggering, DX!), and cites a number of kits from the right period.

Mike Delamar

Alphans
yeah Martins work is amazing, I never realised until recentley that it was his models which I was looking at back in the comics in the early 90s.

Ive emailed him a couple of times in the past with regards the thunderbirds fire engines and other things and he was quite helpful, I know I should just ask him, but Ill ask it quickly here, dont want to be a pest really, does anyone here know if he would produce the wheels and tracks which he did for his mole and others commercially?

Mike

JD

Alphans
It used to state catagorically on his site that he would not.
But two members here have made and cast their own such tracks. It's not for me to speak on their availability, though...

Mike Delamar

Alphans
Ive noticed, if you look at it when its the transmitter truck, the front track wheels are red, in fact only half of each wheel appears to red,you can see this as it rolls down the ramp, as if it has been painted grey while it was stood still and half of the wheels missed, so Im guessing that it was red before it became the transmitter truck, strange as It appears to be destroyed when its painted red.

Mike

Mike Delamar

Alphans
It used to state catagorically on his site that he would not.
But two members here have made and cast their own such tracks. It's not for me to speak on their availability, though...

cheers JD, will have to find out who I have to beg to:D

Mike

Last edited:

Dave

Alphans
The tracks on the front of the truck are too narrow to be the ones on the side of the Mole:

Great Pod build Dave!

Thought this might be of interest to you :)

It's the 'Baby Bulldozer' made by Marx - battery operated, and about 7 inches long. It's also used on the Transmitter Truck (below). The tracks aren't the Mole ones though, I'm afraid....

Keith

Mike Delamar

Alphans
Brilliant Dave, Absolutley Brilliant, Thank you.

with regards the mole, that was just a guess,

On the lookout for one of them now:)

Id Imagine there Rare as hens teeth like everything :cry:

Mike

astrocat

Alphans
Brilliant Dave, Absolutley Brilliant, Thank you.

with regards the mole, that was just a guess,

On the lookout for one of them now:)

Id Imagine there Rare as hens teeth like everything :cry:

Mike

Mike, bear in mind the Baby Bulldozer only supplies the bits marked in red on the black and white photo. The rubber tracks (and possibly the wheels) are from another tank toy. I think it's another MARX one, but haven't pinned it down yet.

Keith

Mike Delamar

Alphans
yeah, at first I thought they could be the same tracks, was comparing the wheels and theyre not quite the same,

If and when I did come to make a replica tractor, I would need at least one to make a casting of the bits.

Mike

astrocat

Alphans
I can recognise some airfix girder bridge parts on the rear, Im not sure what the silver rocket tubes are from, at first I thought they could be jetex tubes that have been used up, but they appear to have rivet detail on one of the close ups so I think they could be plastic,

I'm surprised no one has jumped in with these parts yet, as they're well used and (I thought) well known parts. They're from the Vollmer HO scale Refinery.

Originally item Nos. 5012 - 5016, they're still available as far as I know (now with Cat. No. 5525 I think).
The recent versions have the platform discs in sections, rather than in one piece, but the tanks themselves are unchanged.

Keith

Mike Delamar

Alphans
definatley them, its the rivets that give it away.

amazing keith thank you, Ive seen these in lots of places in Thunderbirds, as I say, I usually assumed they where cigar tubes, jetex tubes or airfix railway tank wagons.

now another mystery has been solved,

really greatfull Keith

Thank you

ill be on the lookout for these now

Mike

lucikly they seem readily availble and around £25 for about 5 of the tubes I would need which seems ok, I will look out for them at the next model railway show I go to as I do usually seem them, but have always discounted them as I thought Vollmers wernt around in the 60s.
whats also interesting is that Vollmers do lots of other kits such as buildings, if they where around at the same time Im sure they could have used them and there may be some Vollmers buildings in the backgrounds of some scenes.

now that youve pointed this out Keith, Im spotting them tanks everywhere:) on things like refienery scenes in episodes such as "The Mighty atom" and "Ricochet", theres a good shot in Alan Schubrooks book of Thunderbirds one flying over a set of Vollmers refienery bits and one of the Fire engine parts that Ive been looking to discover what it was now appears to be a Vollmers tank so another part of the jigsaw solved:D

thanks again

Mike

Mike Delamar

Alphans
HAHA never even realised that but now its so obvious:lol: it does wobble a bit as it comes out the pod, good spotting:thumbup:

dont quite think the other bit is a screwdriver but does resemble one

cheers

Mike

Mike Delamar

Alphans
theres a shot of it in Thunderbird 2's pod in Security hazard, has black wing mirrors

this looks to me as if it could be the front tracks for the tractor but turned upside down? does anyone recognise what this could be?

cheers

Mike

Dave

Alphans
Looking at those pictures of the tractor, I recon that the cab is going to be a plastic car kit with the back of the car being the front of the tractor.

AMT is the first port of call I would guess (AMT models were the source of most of the chrome parts used on the Thunderbirds models, or even the complete kits themselves. The cage on top of the Firefly is the chassis from the AMT silouette).

Mike Delamar

Alphans
I would never have worked the firefly one out!:eek:

Ive had a look at every car kit by amt on this great site, not to say that it wasnt one, they could have missed something, but couldnt see anything,

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/kits/kitcaramt.htm

I do think it could be took from a kit or toy, its even got rain gutters, I think it would be a bit bigger than a 1/32 scale car, but Ive never see a car with that shape back end, most cars had boots back then I would have thought, unless the boot is cut off or its seperate in a kit?

I even think the box behind the cab is from something

Ive ordered a set of AMT chrome accesorries, only £10 from the states, might come in useful on a future build

they do a set of parts called drag strip, wonder if theres anything useful on that?

Mike

Mike Delamar

Alphans
Im thinking the cab could be a mix match of various kit bits rather than one solid bodyshell, AMT as people have been suggesting,

ie roof from one kit, sides from another etc.

the roof in particular certainly looks like it could be kit, maybe from this?

the sides and the cab shape Im debating weather they are kit or scratch, I cant find anything with that shape sides with such a shallow angle, and the curved front bonnet shape is so distinctive, the explosion scene shows front bits broken and they may be fibreglass?

and even though the cab is made to look like a split screen, I think there is a red tape strip down the centre of the windscreen to make it appear a split screen.

Mike