Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Great VFX book buy

skiffy

Alphans
I saw this in my local bookshop and couldn't resist it. A fiver!

I had a quick flick through and obviously there's photo articles on the usual Dr. Who, Blakes Seven etc but there's also great shots from The Tripods, Star Cops, and a host of others.

That's my Easter weekend sorted. Happy holidays, all. :)

Jonathan E

Alphans
Got the same book last year at my local library, when it was 'removed for sale'. The price? £1.00. My bargain of the year. :thumbup:

Planet3

Forum Supporter
Now that is a bargain! Bought my copy last year at the original price. Never mind, it's a very good book and I was just glad to have a copy!

Planet3

Forum Supporter
Back in the late 1970's, I used to buy a magazine called Film Making. It was basically for enthusiasts of 8mm cine movie making. Anyway, one issue included an interview will Bernard Wilkie, one of the founders of the BBC special effects department. He gave a very interesting interview and at the end of it, invited readers with any technical questions to write in. Well I did, asking him how I could avoid the troublesome mould flashing when casting a latex dinosaur from a multi-piece plaster mould (honest!!). I didn't expect a reply but within a couple of weeks a rather thick envelope dropped through my parents letter box with a thud. In it was a very nice letter from Bernard himself, giving me a lot of suggestions of how to solve my problem. He had also included several photocopied pages of diagrams and text from the SFX books he had written detailing mould making, rubber mixing and using multi-piece castings. He had even written the name of a latex rubber supplier that the BBC used (before the internet, you have to realise just how difficult it was to find this sort of information). Bernard was a lovely bloke, he didn't have to go to all this trouble, but he did and for a young kid he'd never met and who had watched too many Ray Harryhausen movies!

skiffy

Alphans
He had even written the name of a latex rubber Ysupplier that the BBC used (before the internet, you have to realise just how difficult it was to find this sort of information). Bernard was a lovely bloke, he didn't have to go to all this trouble, but he did and for a young kid he'd never met and who had watched too many Ray Harryhausen movies!

That's a great story. I think we've lost something there, from those pre-internet days. Back then if you were interested in a subject you had to work hard to find out about it. In other words you had to be keen to learn, and do a lot of detective work. It was nice to be on the 'giving' side back then too. Still is, I suppose, though the audience is a lot bigger now.