Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Has anyone got good quality images of the Stingray original model profile photos?

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
I have images, it's the hi res bit I am struggling with, there are some excellent black and white images from the front of TV21 that made it onto the open market, and are worth setting up an ebay search for.

Why do you need images? Phil Rae's blueprint is pretty good and the SIG issue it was published in is still available from David Nightingale at Star Trader (again check ebay).

Lastly, whilst checking on the net I came across this little gem, a nice RC build feature from the SF Daydreams website, here is a link:

http://unitycity.sfdaydreams.com/features/rcstingray.htm

headcase

Alphans
David Sisson had some nice stuff on the web, a long time ago. I have copies but none of it is high res. I also have scans of the diagrams from the instructions for the Coment vinyl kit (which I made into a complete mess!) Let me know if you're interested in any of this stuff. Stingray was one of my all time favorites when I was a kid. I had the Comet kit, as mentioned, and after that I bought 2 of the little Japanese kits that were out on the market but they went up in smoke in my house fire back in 2010.

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
There WERE profile photos taken of Stingray by the studio but alas they seem to be lost.

There was a studio specification sheet showing the profiles but they were artwork, but do appear to be based on the photos and were quite helpful for the overall proportions. However they are quite crude, unlike the Fireball sheet which used the actual photos.

Apart from those all I had to hand when I did my blueprint were these, a very small underside view printed in TV 21 and a front view photo, but I did have quite a few of the early publicity stills, which helped greatly and included a really nice side view.

Overall, I was happy with my blueprint, and would change little if I were to it again.

I should add that my drawing represents the MAIN model used most regularly in the show.

I know some people have (understandably) the impression they were drawn from photos of the small so-called "Reg Hill" model but this is not so and quite a different shape, particularly round the front, although THIS model seems to be the one Airfix used to make their kit.

Last edited:

fab1

Alphans
Love Stingray, Im sure I have seen an underside profile shot somewhere, may be the TV21 you mention, I will hunt for that. I have 35mm slides of the studio Terrorfish profile, they surfaced excuse the pun on ebay a couple of years ago so there is hope for Stingray.
Do we know why there are such differences with the various scale models?

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
At this point there's no real accounting for the different shapes. I guess they weren't too worried and didn't imagine that anyone would notice at the time.

For the record, I don't think the "Reg Hill" one ever made it to the screen, and think it was just a prototype. The small one seen in the travel tube is quite different.

fab1

Alphans
Thanks Phil very interesting subject.

An excuse to print another pic:

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
As many people will realise, this is a set up shot for TV21, and taken some time after the show finished, and is probably the original main studio model that has been re-furbished. There are some differences incl. that the main cabin is sitting higher up on the main hull, the periscope is different and there's a white button on the top.

miger1

Alphans
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the replies, Sorry, I've been working abroad and I've just got back.

There are some low-res shots here on Marc J Frattasio's excellent site:

http://lester.demon.nl/superm/stingray/stingray.html

I hope Marc doesn't mind me posting the link.
I also think they are from the original specification sheet.

I wanted the images to aid in maybe scratch building an accurate 'Reg Hill' version----it's the model seen exiting the pen into the ocean tunnel and has the static ratemaster. Also, i think I'm right in saying,it is the model used in the 'Infamous' Des O'Connor comedy sketch!(search Youtube!!!)

Last edited:

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
As I mentioned above.....
"For the record, I don't think the "Reg Hill" one ever made it to the screen, and think it was just a prototype. The small one seen in the travel tube (ocean door tunnel) is quite different."

The profile photos on the Marc Frattasio website are of the small "Reg Hill" Stingray, and NOT the main model used in the show which IS the version illustrated in the official specification sheet, on which I based my blueprint.

age9000

Alphans
Phil

I think you should write a book with all your knowledge & experience
you must have a shed load of info to cram a book with
and all those photos !

miger1

Alphans
As I mentioned above.....
"For the record, I don't think the "Reg Hill" one ever made it to the screen, and think it was just a prototype. The small one seen in the travel tube (ocean door tunnel) is quite different."

The profile photos on the Marc Frattasio website are of the small "Reg Hill" Stingray, and NOT the main model used in the show which IS the version illustrated in the official specification sheet, on which I based my blueprint.

Thanks for clearing that up Phil. Sorry my apologises, i didn't read all the replies through before posting.
So, is the small model (10'' long or so) the one good old Des is holding in the sketch? :)

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
The Reg Hill Stingray is just over 14 in.
Although I saw it years ago, I don't have the Des O'Connor clip so really can't say which model was in that...sorry.

jeb1138

Alphans
I did a web search and found these. I was surprised how little came up on this subject in the way of good photos of the original model.

Attachments

• 01 Stingray launch.jpg
    01 Stingray launch.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 32
  • stingray13.jpg
    stingray13.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 34

fab1

Alphans
They are not hi res but there are all round studio shots of Stingray in the famous Pink Japanese book.

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
If memory serve's, I think these where of the Reg Hill model too. I don't now have the book. Maybe if someone here has it, they could post images of it?

Last edited: