Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Hello, newbie

Eaglelover

Alphans
Hello

I haven't posted here much, but I am big Eagle fan and have enjoyed the work and info on this site.
I have built two warp eagles, the second of whiched turned out very well and I have an AB 22 inch Eagle which someday I will get to, (I know, I heard the horror stories).
What I was wonder was does anyone know anything about how Kennedy shipyards is doing? I ordered an instruction CD/ROM on the resin eagle model just to learn a few things and never got it. I did order it through ebay so be careful of kennedyshipyard 1276 monte john julio.
Plus I hope to get the 23 inch eagle and hope Jim Small gets back to making engine bells.

have a good one

w8cmp

Alphans
I know his account was suspended for some reason...don't specifically know why.

But don't worry you haven't lost out (apart from your money) - that CD was next to useless anyway...

CR

Alphans
Kennedy Shipyards has its own site now. http://www.kennedyshipyards.com/
I had ordered the Meta Probe & Swift blueprints from him back in the eBay days, and got them just fine. Haven't ordered since then, due to lack of funds, rather than lack of interest.
Nice prints. Not the best printing quality, but not terrible. A lot of detail work (interiors, for example) is conjectural, but interesting. Some of the pricing seems a little high to me, but then again, I used to work in printing and know how overpriced things are in that field, especially regarding smaller runs.

DX-SFX

Alphans
I have mixed feelings about the KSY product. The photos that were on one of his disks that were there to "help" fellow modellers with their Eagles showed an Eagle that was, how shall I put this......... dreadful. The layer of paint was so shiny and thick, it looked like it was made of porcelain and accurate, it certainly wasn't. Then again people's expectations vary so it's only my personal opinion. It would help if he didn't over hype his wares on eBay and from memory, most of his neutral and negative feedbacks stemmed from people being disappointed by the difference between what they were expecting and what they got. I've not heard anything before about him not following through though.

Was it a genuine KSY auction you bid on and not one of these scam clones?

cricket

Alphans
I've read of the difficulties with Kennedy on other boards and must admit they have dealt fairly with me, if NOT in a timely fashion. Never tried for the CD, but the written merchandise is interesting if a bit over priced. AND as long as one recalls this is not canonical, simply a devoted fan's interpretation. I don't see anything new on the website that interests me at present. I'm still holding out for 4MM posters.

CR

Alphans
I should add to my post that the blueprints I ordered, while nice, weren't the best quality (detail-wise, not printing-wise) I've seen as far as S:99 blueprints go. But they were nice for what they were, and as far as I know, are the only ones available of those particular spaceships. For what it's worth, they were also embossed with a KSY stamp, and signed & numbered with pretty low edition numbers.

DX-SFX

Alphans
One of the early sets I was given were photocopies and the profile drawings were obviously traced over Phil Rae's SIG blueprints. The Metaprobe drawings are traced over photos of Donald Hayunga's model. We know this to be true because Donald didn't slavishly copy the studio model and the KSY drawings display all the same deviations in addition to matching the angular views of the photos.

john_trek

Alphans
I ordered the Swift blueprints from him a while back (seems like about a year or so). I got them but vaguely remember it taking a little longer than I had hoped.

They were OK, but not fantastic. I intended to eventually use them as a starting point for scratch building a Swift.... and they are useful for that purpose.

However, I was carefully examining them recently and noticed that some things on the bottom plan view that should have been parallel and identical in size definately were not. I also thought some of the VTOL thrusters looked different sizes, when they should have all been identical (I don't think the Swift was like the Eagle with the Pod thrusters and superstructure VTOLs different sizes).

That lends credence to the comment above that the diagrams could be based on photographs that were in someway traced (either manually or in photoshop, take your pick).

Because of these kinds of errors, I will have to get some thin drafting paper and do my own tracings, then fix the problems before I can do my project. Or, scan them and do it on computer.

In any event, they are a heck of a lot better starting point for my project than to start with the online photos from scratch... so I don't regret spending the money.

DX-SFX

Alphans
The Swift drawings were all traced from published photos in various UK/Japanese magazines and books.

DX-SFX

Alphans
Chances are the Swift drawings replicate things that are currently wrong with the studio original that need correcting.

Eaglelover

Alphans
DX-SFX said:
I have mixed feelings about the KSY product. The photos that were on one of his disks that were there to "help" fellow modellers with their Eagles showed an Eagle that was, how shall I put this......... dreadful. The layer of paint was so shiny and thick, it looked like it was made of porcelain and accurate, it certainly wasn't. Then again people's expectations vary so it's only my personal opinion. It would help if he didn't over hype his wares on eBay and from memory, most of his neutral and negative feedbacks stemmed from people being disappointed by the difference between what they were expecting and what they got. I've not heard anything before about him not following through though.

Was it a genuine KSY auction you bid on and not one of these scam clones?

I did finally get it about 7 months later. So it was for real. Why he never let me know it was going to be late was beyond me. But I was happy to get it.

The info on the drawings is "ok" it will help me because I have never built the 23 EU Eagle and it will help a bit for the AB I have as well.
I was surprised though at the Eagle pics in it, I was expecting a 23 EU Eagle or something on that level, but it was the MPC Eagle and not all that great either.

I did like the the design of the eagle/hawk type ship in the first pics I will get my CD Rom and try to post a pic of it. I thought it was an interesting hybrid type design.