Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Help on Moonraker patch

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Hello, all. I am a big fan of the spacesuit designs from 2001 and Moonraker and didn't know they were designed by the same person: Harry Lange.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has a clear picture of the insignia worn on the shoulder of the space Marines' spacesuit from MOONRAKER, they would be willing to share. I saw it once many, many years ago, but cannot find it again on the web. It kind of resembled the NASA "meatball".

Also, a new book is going to be released on Harry Lange's designs for 2001.
Here is the link on Amazon: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/2001-File-Landmark-Science-Fiction/dp/0957261020/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411750742&sr=1-1&keywords=the+2001+file[/ame]

If the book has been brought up in another post, I apologize.

Last edited:

Steve Gerard

Alphans

I am still trying to find a close-up of the patch on his right shoulder. :think:

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Thanks for the help guys :) . It appears I might have to wait until a MOONRAKER Space Marine space suit comes up for auction to get a good shot of that patch (it appears items from the estate of the late Harry Lange are showing up for auction). I happened to find a screengrab from the film, and extrapolated on what it looks like. No idea what the writing on the borders hold. Until then...
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Sky1Driver

Alphans
update

Hi, guys.
Just a little update. I remembered the insignia was used in the film SUPERMAN II. There is a CU of it on the spacesuit of a moonwalking astronaut. It occurs just before Ursula (Sarah Douglas) rips it off the spacesuit. The wording might be different, but I doubt it. On the shoulder patch of the MOONRAKER spacesuits has a red stripe on the lower left side. But on the front of the helmets, and on the spacesuit Roger Moore wears in the publicity pics, its not there.
I found a high res screengrab of the SUPERMAN II patch and decided to post it for those who are interested. For those who are curious, the shot came from a website called movie-screencaps.
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_4341 copy copy.jpg
    IMG_4341 copy copy.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Just discovered someone auctioned off one of the Space Marine spacesuits (sans helmet and life support pack) from MOONRAKER on iCollector.com. There was a closeup of the shoulder patch of that insignia I was interested in.

It appears the insignia was definitely used in MOONRAKER and SUPERMAN 2. The big difference was the "Society For" was red striped out for the MOONRAKER version.

Since both films were in various state of production during this time at Pinewood, I believe the insignia was used in both films and because the insignia for MOONRAKER was not going to be seen in closeup, a simple red stripe was used to mark the difference in the two productions.

On a side note, I love the helmet design of the spacesuit. On the same auction website, there was a picture which shows the breathing holes for the stuntmen playing the astronauts were covered by the anti-glare visor.

Attachments

• IMG_6580 copy.jpg
    IMG_6580 copy.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6582 copy.JPG
    IMG_6582 copy.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

PoorMansJB

Alphans
Haven't visited in some time, decided to search Bond.
I am the winner of the Space Marine costume and happened to have scanned and rebuilt the logo.
Posting a JPEG but can provide the Illustrator file if requested.

Last edited:

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Terrific! Thank you for doing this! You lucky devil, getting hold of the spacesuit. I wonder if a Space Marine helmet is around. I don't know why with all the props and miniatures created for the film, there are not more photos of them. I might contact you later for a higher res jpeg or the Illustrator file. I love collecting insignias from the Anderson/Meddings films. This one in particular because it was designed by Harry Lange, one of my all time favorite designers.