Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

How big is a UFO?

Sky1Driver

Alphans
How big is the main alien craft in UFO? I know it has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. My calculations were made before finding out that the miniatures were created at 1/24 and 1/48 scale. Also, it was based on screenshots and real life models.

The smallest version can be seen in the episode "Flight Path." The scene where the UFO flies over Roper's car. The life size car was 18 feet long. I estimate this particular UFO to be about 20 feet in diameter. If it carries an escape pod, the main sphere should be no smaller than 4 feet in diameter. The basis of this is the submarine Deepsea Challenger, where the sphere is this size, and holds only one person.

Then there is the UFO in the famous Japanese "pink book" which states the UFO is 46.3 feet in diameter. It took some research, and this is what I came up: in the 1960s, General Dynamics developed a submersible called STAR II. The sphere that carried the 2 man crew was about 5.2 feet in diameter. Plug in the proportions of the main sphere of the escape pod to the saucer's diameter from the episode "A Question of Priorities", and it comes out to be around 46 feet.

Phil Rae's blueprint puts the vehicle to be about 57 feet in diameter. Don't know what he used for the basis of its size. It could be plausible if you calculated the escape capsule in the episode "A Question of Priorities" to carry two crew and one "passenger", the main sphere to be about 6.4 feet in diameter. This would closely match the size of the sphere for the Alvin submersible, and it holds 3 people (in rather cramped quarters). And the proportions of the main sphere of the escape pod to the saucer's diameter match.

In the episode "Reflections In the Water," a UFO launches a missile which sinks a freighter. The freighter is known as a modern combination freighter (can carry passengers and cargo) and the starting size is 350 feet long (based on the design in the Naval History and Heritage Command website). Got the length through a perfect profile shot of the ship blowing up and the height of the stern mast. Matching that against the stern mast as the missile flies out of the water beside the ship, makes the missile about 22 feet long. The mast 45 feet high. Matched with the scene of the UFO firing the missile, makes it about 60 feet in diameter.

I am betting that the UFO in "Flight Path" would be the smallest, and the "Reflections In the Water" UFO is a close enough match to Phil Rae's UFO. It appears the size of the vehicle is dependent on the size of the crew.

Last edited:

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Addendum:
Going over the figures discussed in this thread of the forum: https://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143143&page=9

Ignoring the UFO that flew over Roper's and Straker's car as being manned because it was so small (maybe a drone?), the size and scale discussed that put the UFO at 40 feet in diameter is more realistic for a vehicle to be crewed. Plugging in the proportions from the craft in "A Question of Priorities", the main sphere of the escape pod would be just over 4 feet in diameter. As brought up in my previous entry, it would fit one Alien crewmember.

In the episode "ESP" a UFO crashes into a house. Is it possible to get a screen grab that shows the UFO just before impact so that it could be scaled off typical door and window sizes on the house?
Though I doubt that the producers of the show really thought about it at the time I think the finally sentence of you initial post makes a lot of sense. The UFO design could be scalable, with different sizes produced depending on the mission to be carried out and the number of crew needed.

Sky1Driver

Alphans
I re-watched the episode "ESP" and it appears the house is in the same scale of Straker/Roper's car-making the UFO about 20 feet in diameter (I did use the front doorway as a point of reference). In Chris Bentley's UFO book, there is a small but clear photo of the UFO just as it strikes the house (pg.139).

If the UFO is a drone, this might explain its erratic flight pattern. A malfunction or on purpose? Why send drones? Maybe to keep SHADO guessing, test their defenses, wear them down or all of above.

My theory is if the UFO is manned, it would be no smaller than 40 feet in diameter.

In the episode "Survival" the UFO that crashes into Foster's Moon Mobile appears to be at least 40 feet in diameter. David Sisson states on his website the filming miniature of the Moon Mobile to be about 17 inches long. Built at 1/24 scale, would make it 34 feet. The UFO model appears to be the 20 inch version.

Dorzac

Alphans
Was the Product Enterprise release of the UFO & Interceptor die-casts ever done to a particular scale?

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Unfortunately, I didn't buy the Product Enterprise UFO/Interceptor set.

From measurements I was able to find (7.5 inches Interceptor, 4 inches UFO) it appears they were made in 1/60 scale. This would make the Interceptor 37.5 feet long, and the UFO 20 feet in diameter. It appears PE used the UFO from "Flight Path".

Last edited:

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Was the Product Enterprise release of the UFO & Interceptor die-casts ever done to a particular scale?
I had to recalculate the scale and size of the Interceptor and the UFO. If the Interceptor was around 50 feet long, the UFO would be around 29 feet in diameter. The toy set would be an odd 1/89 scale.

I decided to visualize the discussion on the sizes of the UFO. See attached.

Attachments

• gerry_andersons_UFO veh size comparison copy.jpg
    gerry_andersons_UFO veh size comparison copy.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 12
The Gerry Anderson store has a size chart poster that compares the sizes of craft from his various shows. This only has a single UFO that is about half the length of a Space:1999 Eagle and a bit larger than a SHADO interceptor, including its missile. Roughly what you have for size 'C', so I'm guessing they've just gone for the biggest version.

Sky1Driver

Alphans
I was not happy with the size comparison chart and redid it to be more accurate (my apologies for those who saved the previous chart). The sizes of the UFOs are fine. It is the SHADO craft (too small)and the alien (too tall). These are the figures I calculated:
Interceptor-52 ft long, Sky 1-43 ft, Mobile-21 ft. The large stand alone Sky 1 that was built for the series was approximately 1/20 scale. Fans like me love to scrutinize the details!

Yes, I saw the size comparison chart on the Gerry Anderson store site. Probably the reason why the larger size was chosen was it was a more realistic size for an interstellar spacecraft. If the other sizes of the UFOs were included, it might confuse people.

Attachments

• gerry_andersons_UFO veh size comparison copy.jpg
    gerry_andersons_UFO veh size comparison copy.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 17