Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

How do the Aliens get in and out of the UFO?

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Saw various ideas on the Web. I thought up this as I was cleaning and sharpening my Swiss Army knife.

Attachments

• UFO alien egress.jpg
    UFO alien egress.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 37
Don't forget the alien dome in 'Reflections in the Water', that responded to pressure to create an opening. We know that the material of a UFO is not stable in Earth's atmosphere so it may have reactive properties itself. Perhaps entry and exit points are created in the same way as the dome.

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Good idea! I forgot the dome in the episode RITW! If the aliens use that method, I feel it would still include steps 1 and 2. When originally visualizing this, I tried to avoid entering and exiting from the bottom (as seen in one Youtube video) would still be awkward. Also the escape pod is down there too.

Last edited:

Ham Salad

Alphans
I always thought the 'dome' on the top was the exit hatch...of course, no telling how they got up or down to it....

I think part of the problem of determining exactly how the crew enter and exit their craft is that we don't know anything about the interior. The only time I recall a scene set inside a UFO it turned out to be part of a dream sequence. There might not be a single interior cavity, instead there could be a number of individual crew capsules just large enough to hold a single person in stasis for the duration of their voyage around the edge with another in the centre for a pilot. I add this central capsule because we've seen one eject from a UFO.

Sky1Driver

Alphans
I agree with you on the individual compartments and the alien crewmembers in stasis. Thinking of the episode "The Sound Of Silence" where Russell Stone is recovered by SHADO in a cylinder after the UFO he was in was shot down.

The alien crewmembers are probably in similar cylinders and in stasis for the majority of their voyage. The ship's computer wakes them up as they near the end of their voyage.

As you suggested, one of them is the designated pilot. I think he controls the craft using his consciousness and the UFO becomes an extension of him. The pilot can see, hear, sense nearly everything the craft experiences, and the computer makes any fine adjustments. I also wonder if the ship's computer is a "living" computer where it is made of mechanical components and living tissue (like Ziggy in the TV series "Quantum Leap").

As far as the escape pod is concerned, I still believe there is only one per craft. Looking at the size and proportions, it has to be shared by the entire crew.

I guess the mystery of the aliens will keep us guessing.

Last edited:
I considered that cylinder as well although I don't think the aliens need such cylinders. It has been said that their skin acquires its green colour by absorbing the liquid from their breathing system so I think that they wear their suits for the whole journey. If they enter any sort of stasis then I think that it would be chemically induced by adding something to the fluid they breathe. The cylinder used for Russell Stone may be a crude duplication of the alien life support system that is easier to put a person into than another space suit.
If they do use individual cylinders then I would have thought that they would double as escape pods, electing from a critically damaged UFO without the crew needing to revive, exit the cylinder and then get into the escape pod.
But as you say this mystery will keep us guessing. At least it makes for an interesting discussion about the possible answers.

Ham Salad

Alphans
I considered that cylinder as well although I don't think the aliens need such cylinders. It has been said that their skin acquires its green colour by absorbing the liquid from their breathing system so I think that they wear their suits for the whole journey. If they enter any sort of stasis.

Well, it DOES make sense: after all , we know that the UFO's can and do make speeds and changes in acceleration that would place enormous strains on the human body: so, keeping them immersed in liquid would negate the inertial forces by making their bodies essentially the same density as the surrounding medium: thus, inertial forces would pass right through them unnoticed. So, one might surmise that they essentially control their ships with their minds, while their bodies remain inert. So, having them be motionless in their suits in pods inside the saucer would fit. This would also explain why they are so slow and weak when they leave their ships.

However , ti doesn't explain how they get OUT of the Ship...does their pod eject, and then they climb out of it? if so, how do they get it back in? Does it pop out partially and then they climb out? There's no clear way out , except at the top unless you assume that each pod is about the same width as the distance between the vanes, and they just crawl out the vane slot as posited earlier (a very clever deduction, by the way) .

Too bad the show didn't last long enough to answer this question, I always thought there was lots more story to tell.

Sky1Driver

Alphans
While on the subject of what is inside UFOs, I drew up the basic interior arrangement of one. Again, its not canon, but based on conjecture. I think the interior would look like a cross between Mysteron and 2001.

Attachments

• UFO cutaway.jpg
    UFO cutaway.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 16
There is a egg shaped door shown in some episodes, where the missing vane is. I think it's even in the grounded UFO in the title sequence! Stop frame and have a look.

Steve

Sky1Driver

Alphans
You mean this one? (see screencap with red circle)

Good eye! I did not see this until you brought it up. Went back and viewed the episode "Computer Affair." This hatch is open during the time after the UFO crashes, but once Mark Bradley and his team make an assault on the ship, and the Aliens appear, it looks like it is closed (like locking the car door before leaving it). And yes, it is missing a vane where the hatch is. To get that amount of space, two vanes instead of four would be needed to slide back (I was partially correct).

Until someone from the FX crew says otherwise, I think we can safely say it is the access hatch. Did some measurements...if it was the 40 ft to the 57 ft diameter UFO, there is enough room for a suited Alien to pass through (4 - 5 ft wide).

Attachments

• UFO hatch copy.jpg
    UFO hatch copy.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: