Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

large scale thunderbird one scratchbuild

barrie

Alphans
Hello everyone,
well it had to happen, I had to have a go at scratchbuilding one of the thunderbird machines, and here it is my humble attempt at thunderbird one. all built from flat sheet with a little filler here and there and hand painted not my best bit I am afraid but I do try. please let me know what you think of her as this will inspire me to carry on and try to improve my efforts.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

this is part one of the build

Attachments

• DSCF1150.jpg
    DSCF1150.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF1278.jpg
    DSCF1278.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1249.jpg
    DSCF1249.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1241.jpg
    DSCF1241.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF1237.jpg
    DSCF1237.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF1212.jpg
    DSCF1212.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF1208.jpg
    DSCF1208.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF1161.jpg
    DSCF1161.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF1156.jpg
    DSCF1156.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 44

Dzggf0

Alphans
Very inspiring

Looking very good. I particularly liked the second-to-last photo - the addition of the 'cooling fins'(?) really adds to the realism (as does sanding the edges - imagine that painted, and you could be looking at the original model).

I also like the way you did the sloping ring section - ingenious!

Question, if I may: on the last shot, of the body, I don't see any slit for the wings to swing into. Is that yet to be done? Also, why not simply fold a sheet of card into a tube, or is the body of Tb1 not straight?

barrie

Alphans
hello Mr Dzggfo,
yet another stange name but never mind you must like model making and thunderbirds now then the sloping section well not my own idea but something I saw on another website and like all good model makers we share ideas that work, now you know how things can be done it is like a saga. you will see what happens to the wings in part two, and you are right about the body it is not straight at all, and my wings will not be working but be in the fixed for take of and high speed flight, I may make another version with the wings and landing gear down at a later stage glad you like what you see at the moment part two will be here tomorrow....I hope.

if you need to know anything else please ask I will not keep things secret like other model makers whats the point no one will ever learn if nobody ask question and no one gives the answers

Dzggf0

Alphans
Apologies - quite rude of me not to put a name at the bottom of my message. When I created an account, I just chose a random username, not realising how it affects my posts.

I don't blame you about not making the wings move - I've seen bensmodelworld's TB1, and am just astounded about the quality of his work, and the engineering involved in making the wings move.

What size and scale is your TB1? Did you create the plans yourself?
____
Julian

barrie

Alphans
thuderbird one scratchbuild part two

Hi Julian,
that seems a little better than the other name a bit easier to remember, now then scale of the model not sure I printed of the plan from the internet ( where would model makers be with out it ) the plan was drawn by a gentleman called Philip d rea, a well know thunderbird collector and expert, he has made the drawing available with a scale on it but all I did was to scale up the drawing five times, giving a model of approx 32 inches tall and the main section of the body about 6 inches across so not to small.
Thats all I do with most of my models enlarge the drawings to a size that looks good and will not take to long to build.
here are some more pice for you part three will be here soon.

Attachments

• DSCF1361.jpg
    DSCF1361.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF1320.jpg
    DSCF1320.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF1318.jpg
    DSCF1318.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF1313.jpg
    DSCF1313.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF1309.jpg
    DSCF1309.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF1308.jpg
    DSCF1308.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1306.jpg
    DSCF1306.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF1305.jpg
    DSCF1305.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1286.jpg
    DSCF1286.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1285.jpg
    DSCF1285.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 29

barrie

Alphans
WHAT GAPS.... just kidding Captain sci-fi, well I am glad you asked I have used Humbrol filler for ages now it dries quite quickly and is easy to sand down and not very messy and has abit of a pong but not anwhere near as strong as car filler and no need to mix its done in the tube, I try fill as many gaps as possible with scrap plastic pieces first then use only a small amount of filler with the exception of the nose cone which needed a little more than I thought. I am glad you like it so far more pics to follow soon

anymore questions just fire away model makers and fans should share as much as possible so that we can all learn and build better models in the future and younger people can see how its done,

barrie

Alphans
hi guys here is part three of thunderbird one does that sound right ? well here goes for those who want to see more.

Attachments

• DSCF1406.jpg
    DSCF1406.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF1398.jpg
    DSCF1398.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF1388.jpg
    DSCF1388.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1384.jpg
    DSCF1384.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF1382.jpg
    DSCF1382.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF1378.jpg
    DSCF1378.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1364.jpg
    DSCF1364.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF1363.jpg
    DSCF1363.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 42

barrie

Alphans
scratchbuild thunderbird one part four

hi guys well here we are launch time of thunderbird one I hope you like it

regards Barrie ( the old guy ) the completed model will soon be on display at my local model shop TRANSPORT MODELS IN PRESTON LANCASHIRE pop in and take a look if you can.

Attachments

• DSCF1500.jpg
    DSCF1500.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF1487.jpg
    DSCF1487.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF1462.jpg
    DSCF1462.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF1414.jpg
    DSCF1414.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF1417.jpg
    DSCF1417.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF1467.jpg
    DSCF1467.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 43

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi Barrie,

I am continually amazed by the wonderful creative talent people have. Your model is the ideal size for a replica

I am quite impressed with anyone who can make a round profile without a lathe, you seemed to have made a good job of that. I used the power drill process for years with good results too. You need soft material to make a drill lathe work well, balsa is ideal, so is urethane foam I used a hardwood core (on smaller turnings this was a pencil on larger ones a broom handle) epoxied into the foam this was mounted in the drill chuck with the drill itself C clamped to the workbench. The actual shaping was done with various grades of wet or dry paper used dry.

Decals and other markings were problematic, I would laboriously mask and spray but these days for a model like this I would print paper labels with a letter outline and stick this to the model directly with a few coats of clear coat it looked really good and was better than anything else I could make by hand.

Slate McCloud made a whole thread dedicated to the markings and typefaces used in Anderson model production, I found it fascinating:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5305&highlight=Thunderbirds

barrie

Alphans
scratchbuild tb one

Hello Captain Sci Fi,
many thanks for your kind comments and the insight into your own model work, I can use a lathe but unfortunalty do have the room to own one and I admit it would be very handy for a great many models. Thanks also for the info on the graphics used on the thundebrirds maybe on my next model they will not be correct thanks to your help.

Regards Barrie ( the old guy without a lathe )

wappynutter

Alphans
Hello Captain Sci Fi,
many thanks for your kind comments and the insight into your own model work, I can use a lathe but unfortunalty do have the room to own one and I admit it would be very handy for a great many models. Thanks also for the info on the graphics used on the thundebrirds maybe on my next model they will not be correct thanks to your help.

Regards Barrie ( the old guy without a lathe )

Hi Baz, Excellent build as always my friend...Preston Models is a lucky guy to have you making the displayed ceiling hangers for his shop...:thumbup: :clap:

But just having a chuckle at the above post..... Did the word "Not" slip from the " do have the room " line and end up in the " on my next model they will not be correct " one ????? :lol:

Not seen any posts from you on SFM:uk lately either.. you been ill or just busy on the TB1 build?
Keep up the good work "( old guy ) " :lol:

Regards Andy :D

barrie

Alphans
NOT did slip away from me... ooopppsss

Hi Andy yes that word got away what a plonker I am, and your right I have been busy but not only with thunderbird one, but a mark viper which was a request commision build but the gentleman in question has job concerens and may not be able to pay for the model build but those guys in Transport models will be glad for me to fill the ceiling for them. I hope to be posting the build pics once I get the paint job finished. I shall ut them both here and on SFM:uk

what are you up to your self on the build front a thunderbird four perhaps ?

regards Barrie ( the old guy ) with no lathe and no room for one I just wish I had.

darbyvet

Alphans
Great build Barrie.I am currently building the UNCL TB1 kit and was looking for reference photos.I am impressed you built it from scratch.I wish I was still in Lancashire to go an visit your TB1.Unfortunately it be a 6000 mile round trip now!!
Carl

barrie

Alphans
Hello Carl and thank for your kind comments, yes that would be some round trip, now about reference images, I have the Haynes manual on thunderbrids a very good book loads of info, also have a look on Amazon for books by Graham Bleatham the cutaway books are very good also check amazon for a good deal on the complete thunderbrirds dvd I bought them and just ketp stopping the dvd and taking a snapshot with my digital camera then I could blow up the image a little to see more detail, good luck with your build have fun,

regards Barrie ( the old guy ) PS have you seen my thunderbrid three scratchbuild,

darbyvet

Alphans
Thanks Barrie,
I will definitely check out your TB3 build.I have UNCLa resin TB3 kit too.I dont need any books-Ill just look at your builds.Now how about a scratchbuild on TB4? I have always wanted to build a larger scale TB4.

barrie

Alphans
Hello once more Carl,
YES I have often thought about a BIG tb4 but that glass area puts me of I keep looking out for a moulding that might be of use but as yet I have seen nothing that might fit the bill, butif I do find some kind of canopy rest assured I will be getting out my glue and plastic sheet faster than you could launch thunderbird one.