Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

LastBattlestar's studio scale Galactica

starlord

Alphans
I have one of the old CYLON RAIDERS and it sits next to my CYLON BASESTAR and there are two mor CYLON BASETARS hang from the top of my living rom. if anyone wants a photo or two of what I have they can e-mail me st starlord05@netzero.net

Ham Salad

Alphans
Thanks so much for the kind words guys, it really is appreciated!

I'm a bit short on time for posting up lots of pics, but there are a lot of recent pics of the build here:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=45667

I hope you like them. It's summer here and I've been really busy with our new house and general warm weather fun, so not much time for the models. Come cooler weather and I'll be back onto the Galactica. Oh, I also have my newly rebuilt and super-accurate studio scale Colonial Movers in the weathering stage. I'll post that up soon.:)

Cheers, Mike

Just out of curiosity, do you live in the south of OZ, and how warm is it?

pjskeldon

Alphans
Lord, they really threw the parts boxes at the Galactica!

I just love what looks like a huge beige wagon wheel on the inner wall of one of the launch bays in those pictures above.

Excellent workmanship - she'll be a beauty when she launches!

Phil.

Thanks fellas.:thumbup:

Yes Ham, I live in the state of South Australia and we generally have a Mediterranean-type climate, hot, dry summers, coldish winters without snow. You may have seen on the news the heatwave the whole country is experiencing? Today was 42C and my inlaws up north are currently battling a large bushfire which came within 100m of their house. Here in the suburbs of Adelaide, we had a nice swim in the pool with a couple of cold beverages.:D

Phil, the Galactica currently has over 150 identified donor model kits for the detailing. Many of those are multiples of 6,8,10 or more! Hence myself learning the art of resin casting kit parts for hundreds of much cheaper detail pieces. Don't worry, the big wheel part doesn't belong there. Somehow it landed there before I took the pic. Good for a laugh though.:p

Mike

Dragonn

Alphans
I'm assuming the video at the beginning is a home video done over the course of 12 years for a home build, so why has it been blocked for copyright violation? What? we can't post pics of our models because Hollywood would be offended now?

I'm assuming the video at the beginning is a home video done over the course of 12 years for a home build, so why has it been blocked for copyright violation? What? we can't post pics of our models because Hollywood would be offended now?

Yes, the video was blocked, but for music copyright issues. I actually contacted original composer Stu Phillips who was incredibly kind and prompt directing me to NBC Universal Music. I was granted use of the music in question by a very kind executive there, Shelli Hill. I tried to get the video unblocked at YouTube, but it was a very unclear process and I forgot all about it.:think:

Thanks for reminding me Dragonn, I have just filed a dispute with YT as it seems to be much simpler to do that now. I'll wait and see. Hopefully we can all see the video again soon, I'm quite proud of it even though it is hugely outdated now.

Cheers, Mike

Dragonn

Alphans
Thanks for responding Mike.
I was disappointed that I was unable to view it. The model looks incredible and seeing the process would be an honor.
Outdated outshmated. NEVER . Classic? yes. Hope things go well and they unblock it.

Michael

Hi.

I am new to this site, and would just like to say what a superb job the Galactica is building into.......one of my all time favourites.

Much credit to you.:thumbup:

Thanks guys! Which reminds me that I must update this thread. After 7 months I'm back on the build working on the starboard side, which was quite blank after the big refurbishment. I'll post some pics soon.

Pegasus, any fellow Galactica geek is a friend of mine and welcome back to the hobby. Things are a lot different these days with staggeringly ambitious builds going on. If you want to see my Galactica build from day on and have a few hours to spare, there is a mega thread at Resin Illuminati in the Galactica working threads section. It's quite a journey!

Thanks again, Mike

It just appeared out of frackin' nowhere!!!!

Mike, you and I have already conversed on my own thread but, as a fairly recent newcomer to the Forum, I had no idea what your own project entailed......until today. I have just spent several minutes ogling your handiwork: we both have our own labours of love, but I'm worried about pouring a year into my Eagle, let alone the DECADE and more you've spent on your Galactica.

I only ever saw the pilot episode / feature film in 1978, released in the UK at selected cinemas with Sensurround sound (causing the seats to vibrate). Don't recall seeing the series at all. I did, however, buy a kit of the Galactica which was about 18 inches long - still got it somewhere, I think. Anyway, she never meant that much to me but I know she did, and still does, to you - and it shows.

You have done such a wonderful job, and the photographs of the bays are so accomplished you'd think this was from a professional studio. I keep thinking there's no surprises left on the Forum - and here I am, proved wrong again. You're a star, Last Battlestar, and so's Galactica - good luck with the lighting and all the other additions you still have to make.

And so say we all.

Patrick

G'day Patrick! Well, I must say that I'm extremely flattered by your kind comments. That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me and I thank you. I'm not an attention seeker by nature, but like most of us, get a real kick out of sharing my modelling passion and getting feedback from my mates here and on other forums. I'm glad that you can see how much time, effort and expense it takes to build one of these, something only appreciated by a true studio scale model builder!:thumbup:

I tell you what, there is a 44 inch lab-podded, spine-boosted, side-boostered Eagle in my future plans (should I EVER finish the Galactica:think:). It's jostling for priority with a 32 inch Falcon, but it's a grail project for me. I look at the stunning work done by Eagle builders here and quake in fear at the skill and workmanship. I essentially stick kit greeblies onto big square styrene boxes and paint 'em grey, but the fine soldering, precise panel and decal work and scratchbuilt brass brackets and landing gear on an Eagle blows me away. It's a privilege to see the project here, I tell you! Thanks again.

I did mention an update, so here we go...

Lots of blank white styrene areas that have been waiting since Christmas!:D I'd spent a couple of years completely re-doing the port (hero) side, top and bottom, head and engine section, exhaust ports. I got so burnt out on it I was too afraid to turn the model around and tackle the starboard side, but it's all go now.

The Movers (also a ten year build!) has been very accurately rebuilt and detailed by a friend who built his own show-winning model. How could I knock back that offer? All I have to do is repaint and weather, nearly there.

Some of the head underside refurb done late last year.

Now I have almost completed the starboard neck side section, bar a few little greeblies, I've begun yet another massive detailing task, the starboard landing bay. It was refurbished last year with a detail part strip, outer trench rebuild in aluminium C-channel, internally strengthened, filled and sanded. On goes new greeblage using newly acquired Hasegawa rail gun kits, Custom replicas resin castings and cleaned up parts from the original attempt.

I originally had a removable panel on the top rear of the bay which was to allow viewing of the miniature flight deck. I have abandoned this as the illuminated ceiling and associated electrical stuff wouldn't make this possible. All sealed up now and new greeblie goodness going on.

It's hard to describe how tricky this build is. One part I don't have may sit under another three or affects the placement of many others, so it's difficult to maintain steady progress. In a few cases I have to substitute a part for a still unknown kit part that looks close, or completely scratchbuild something. Not to mention the current pics of the Galactica model are missing many parts since the filming days and we have to compare pics from both eras to figure it out. Often there is only the shape of a missing part in the top coat of paint to work with. It's not an easy build!

Almost completed the forward arm. I really enjoy bending up the little pipes with all those tricky angles.

These arrived in the mail. At 1/700 they are slightly too large for the Galactica decks, but they are stupidly small. People paint these? I was going to catch some little ants to substitute for deck crew, but these are smaller! How the hell do I work with these? Any takers?

Mike

Attachments

• gal11.jpg
    gal11.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 107
  • gal12.jpg
    gal12.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1
  • gal13.jpg
    gal13.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 2
  • gal14.jpg
    gal14.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 104
  • gal15.jpg
    gal15.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1
  • gal16.jpg
    gal16.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 102
  • gal17.jpg
    gal17.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1
  • gal18.jpg
    gal18.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 100
  • gal19.jpg
    gal19.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 101
  • gal20.jpg
    gal20.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 105
  • gal21.jpg
    gal21.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 103
  • gal22.jpg
    gal22.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 104
  • gal23.jpg
    gal23.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 105
  • gal24.jpg
    gal24.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Totally breath taking build, a real hair raiser. I think it would break me to tear down and rebuild sections of a model like this, how on earth do you do it? :twisted:

Is it my imagination or has there been a leap up in the image quality? This latest batch are perfect.

She is a beaut Mike. :thumbup:

I think painting black or white is the only way to go with the photoetch figures, but where will you use them?

Hah, thanks Bernie.:) After seeing some new super sharp builds by friends of mine, I just had to overhaul the model to compete. A few years back there was also a massive influx of reference photos which were previously cloak and dagger stuff if you were not in the club. So now we can nail the Battlestar almost down to the last tiny part. Guys have also been working on detailed parts maps of the whole ship for years and it's probably 90% kit part identified now. Hence my reworking to make it more accurate.

You are right on the pics resolution, but I just got a new Experia Z phone with a 13mp camera, simple as that.:D

Mike

Hah, thanks Bernie.:) After seeing some new super sharp builds by friends of mine, I just had to overhaul the model to compete. A few years back there was also a massive influx of reference photos which were previously cloak and dagger stuff if you were not in the club. So now we can nail the Battlestar almost down to the last tiny part. Guys have also been working on detailed parts maps of the whole ship for years and it's probably 90% kit part identified now. Hence my reworking to make it more accurate.

You are right on the pics resolution, but I just got a new Experia Z phone with a 13mp camera, simple as that.:D

Mike

Mike

Mike, my curiosity has got the best of me.......:yes:
I know I should really go back and check out all you've done previously on this build, but regarding kit parts; have you actually managed to source the majority of model kits and parts you've needed for this build?.
The tremendous amount of energy and money to research and build this ship must be staggering?.

AJ.

Yes.:)

Beginning this project was like starting a model kit with only a third of the parts in the box and no instructions. It was a massive leap of faith with almost zero reference and an open ended expense billto contend with. Scary stuff, I never thought I'd get this far when the original model reference was so scarce!

As to parts, most of the common stuff was used on the Star Wars ships, so a few people Like Jim Creveling, who built the first completed replica in the late 90s, had identified a lot of the basic stuff. Since then there have been a lot of guys still trying to figure it all out. I'm fortunate to have been able to see this info which has now become public for all to see.

I did buy a lot of kits and multiples of them in the beginning. I also learnt how to resin cast to make my own multiple parts when needed. A good local buddy of mine is also building a Galactica and has spent many thousands of dollars on rare, expensive kits. He has generously allowed me to resin cast a lot of parts which has been awesome. Custom Replicas in the US have been building super accurate professional replicas and have offered even more rare resin castings and major detail sections to the public which has been the most recent boost to the project. And there are the e multitude of parts I've had to scratchbuild myself! So there have been four different sources of parts, many years and a lot of friendly connections made with other builders. I've sent and received Parts many times, so each Battlestar is a collaborative effort to say the least. At last count, I am aware of 15-odd models in various states of construction.

Not for the faint hearted, but a very rewarding project. If you spread the cost out over a decade plus like me, it's not a lot of money each year. Lots of people would waste that on booze or gambling, so it makes sense to me to have something really special to be proud of for the rest of my life. And the look on people's faces when they see a 6 foot Battlestar for thefirst time, priceless.:D

Mike