Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

LastBattlestar's studio scale Galactica

Moving right along, I've had a little bunch of parts sitting around since Christmas for the 'refinery' section on the top of the neck, so removed all the TB1 stuff I'd built before and used the correct railgun, er, railings instead.

VERY fiddly work, but it looks cool when done. I was joking with Phil today that I should use a couple of my 1/700 figures to show a little crew doing maintenance on the pipes! He suggested that they be Apollo and Starbuck laying charges on the hull (Fire in Space). The background plate in that episode showed this area when they were supposed to be on the landing bay. Oh, I've kept the little Celestial Chamber from 'Hand of God' on top of the pylon. Which, in the episode, was supposed to be above the main engines.

Mike

Attachments

• refinery1.jpg
    refinery1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 163
  • refinery2.jpg
    refinery2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 22
  • refinery3.jpg
    refinery3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 18
  • refinery4.jpg
    refinery4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 24
That would be cool to see what he is building. Can't have too many Battlestars around!

Before Cricket died, I was wondering what that strange whirring sound and glowing red eyes in the dark were all about...:p

Mike

Moving right along, I've had a little bunch of parts sitting around since Christmas for the 'refinery' section on the top of the neck, so removed all the TB1 stuff I'd built before and used the correct railgun, er, railings instead.

VERY fiddly work, but it looks cool when done. I was joking with Phil today that I should use a couple of my 1/700 figures to show a little crew doing maintenance on the pipes! He suggested that they be Apollo and Starbuck laying charges on the hull (Fire in Space). The background plate in that episode showed this area when they were supposed to be on the landing bay. Oh, I've kept the little Celestial Chamber from 'Hand of God' on top of the pylon. Which, in the episode, was supposed to be above the main engines.

Mike

This looks great!:thumbup:

You have some very fragile looking work going on up there even so!.:eek:

No wonder the original studio model lost or broke many of the parts over the years.

With so much delicate work going on here, it's not difficult to see why the studio model had so many missing/broken parts.

That piping/railing looks so fragile up there on top!.:yes:

It certainly wouldn't be difficult to forget yourself and knock it whilst working on other details.

Looks nice though!:thumbup:

Thanks mate, luckily all the top panels are removable. When I turn over the model (it's 20kg without any electrical gear inside yet!) to work on the underside, the head, body, engine top panels, exhaust outlets, nose cap, bridge and bay end caps are all removable to prevent damage. It's like a Swiss army knife when everything is laid out!:D

A few more update pics:

Mike

Attachments

• arm11.jpg
    arm11.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 101
  • arm9.jpg
    arm9.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 16
  • arm7.jpg
    arm7.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 11
  • arm6.jpg
    arm6.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 23
  • arm5.jpg
    arm5.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 10
  • arm3.jpg
    arm3.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 8
  • arm2.jpg
    arm2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 9
  • arm1.jpg
    arm1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 11
OK guys, update time again. Been a very busy summer, got married to the lovely Nikki (after 20 years!), came back from a honeymoon cruise to New Caledonia recently, more landscaping around the house and the usual Aussie summer shenanigans.:thumbup:

On to the galactica, I've torn out all the original styrene inner bay trenches from 1999 and replaced them with aluminium and Plastruct C channel like the outers I refurbished last year. It's all locked in with CA and construction glue, so the bays are really tight now.

I've been wearing grooves in the BG DVD looking for missing parts. The shuttle flying out and overhead pass scenes show how much is missing from the inner bay areas, a lot. I've ID'd a few, but due to the low res image, I've had to guess a few, but there are definitely a lot of empty spaces that clearly had parts on them. For the others, it's the time honoured process of IDing missing parts from the faint shapes left on the paint, eek!

My fave pic, it's really coming together now!

Take care all, Mike

Attachments

• galunder8.jpg
    galunder8.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 20
  • galopen2.jpg
    galopen2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 27
  • galunder7.jpg
    galunder7.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 17
  • galunder2.jpg
    galunder2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 12
  • galunder3.jpg
    galunder3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 15
  • galunder1.jpg
    galunder1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 60
Up on the ramps....

.....hahahahahaha, that's just great, a Battlestar up on the ramps with its hood / bonnet up. Cue technician peering into the innards, cigarette dangling from his lips, scratching his head - "This is going to cost, I'm afraid mate...."

Anyway Mike, in all seriousness, many many congratulations to you and Mrs Battlestar, here's to many happy years together for the two of you. Will your better half be working on the greeblies, or is she handier with spray paints and weathering?

The shot of your Galactica from below really brings home

a) just how big she is
b) just how much work's gone into her so far
c) just how lucky you are to have her

Good to hear from you again, Mike - wishing you continued success in all that you do.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Wow Patrick, your kind words really are appreciated and thank you.:thumbup:

It might seem crazy, but anyone can build one of these. It just takes a lot of time, patience and learning how to overcome the engineering problems in a model this large. I had only built a few plastic kits as a kid and just really wanted to build a Galactica! I have a huge network of like-minded friends who have been an enormous help, but it all takes time to develop.

Nikki is actually a Degree Illustrator but doesn't work in the field (how many do?). She wants to produce her own children's books in future but won't be anywhere near the Galactica at painting time.:D I'm gonna be very particular about how the model gets painted after so many years of detailing. I won't be able to blame anyone else if I stuff it up!

Thanks again mate!:thumbup:

If I'm careful, management won't see me slipping in a wedding pic of my family...

Attachments

• wedding.jpg
    wedding.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 18

Ham Salad

Alphans
Seeing this really shows how well thought and carefully put together this is....

That you're willing to just pore over this over and over again to make sure that you've got it right really shows dedication. I think you ought to document this heavily, it would really help out others considering this project.

Also, it really reminds me of how much better the 'classic' show was.....

Oh, an you did really well with the marriage thing too, congrats.