Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Late Night Late UFO episode order

msw_1999

Alphans
Hi, does anyone know what order Late Night Late showed the UFO episodes in 1988?

I know that they showed "Close Up" last for some reason.

I think Late Night Late started showing UFO as a "viewers choice" on a Thursday late night then moved it to a Friday late night.

Dorzac

Alphans
Ahh, Late Night Late, in the TVS region, remember it well. There were three presenters, two guys and a girl who used to take turns, I also rem they interviewed Ed Bishop and Nina Barry in the studio on separate occasions, and on other occasions they answered fan mail about the series - I did actually religiously tape the episodes for keeps every night back in the day, except for a few episodes i missed, usually because i fell asleep (i used to record manually as i used to pause out the adverts). Anyway, although i no longer have the those VHS tapes i do have my old VHS indexing system in which i recorded the following:

08-04-88 - Identified
15-04-88 - Exposed
22-04-88 - Survival
29-04-88 - Confetti Check A-OK
06-05-88 - ?
13-05-88 - Conflict
20-05-88 - A Question Of Priorities
27-05-88 - ?
03-06-88 - Kill Straker
10-06-88 - Sub-Smash
17-06-88 - The Square Triangle
24-06-88 - Close Up
01-07-88 - Flight Path
08-07-88 - Court Martial
15-07-88 - ?
22-07-88 - The Computer Affair
29-07-88 - The Responsibility Seat
05-08-88 - The Cat With Ten Lives
12-08-88 - Destruction
19-08-88 - The Psychobombs
26-08-88 - The Man Who Came Back
03-09-88 - Timelash
10-09-88 - The Sound Of Silence
17-09-88 - Reflections In The Water
24-09-88 - The Long Sleep
01-10-88 - Mindbender
08-10-88 - The Dalotek Affair
15-10-88 - Close Up

16-02-89 - ESP
16-03-89 - Ordeal

From the original dates, I missed three days (shown as ?) - but there were only two missing episodes, ESP & Ordeal, which I recorded at a later date as I've listed - from where they are in my index, ESP was the missing episode for 27-05-88 and Ordeal for 15-07-88 . I'm guessing 06-05-88 they didnt have an episode for some reason, maybe an ITV telethon or something dominated the schedules. As you say, Close Up was shown last, but it was actually a repeat from 24-06 ...

msw_1999

Alphans
This is great. I have to take a moment to process. :)
Its weird about Close Up.

On youtube, there are some clips where the episodes are introduced + adverts:

The Man Who Came Back : David Vickery says that UFO is changing days next week:
Timelash :
9th/10th September 1988 : The Sound of Silence :
Reflections in the Water :
The Long Sleep :
MindBender : https://youtu.be/3OzWEARsuA8
7th/8th October 1988 : The Dalotek Affair : https://youtu.be/PB293uKMdb8
Close Up : https://youtu.be/aCHFVRBzDzE

Dorzac

Alphans
AH yes, David Vickery, Laura Penn & Graham Rogers. Vickery and Penn left after a while and it was just Rogers for a period.

I recall after I missed the ESP episode (I think) I wrote a letter in, one part asking if they'd repeat ESP (bit naïve of me!), one part asking people what they thought happened to the rest of the skydiver crew when in launch position, and one part an answer to an earlier Q about the colour of the costumes the Skydiver crew wore. The following week, my letter was read out by Laura Penn (she didn't mention missing/ repeating ESP episode!) - I felt kinda embarrassed lol.

Interesting compilation of Late Night Late info concerning UFO, including the Interviews i mentioned ...
TVS Late Night Late UFO Compilation 1988 - YouTube

Edit: lol, just realised i referred to Nina Barry as her character in my first post,, I of course meat Dolores Mantez

msw_1999

Alphans
That's cool you got your letter read out.

I wonder if the Dalotek Affair which was shown at the end of the run could have also been shown earlier.
The order they were shown in seems to be very loosely based on the ITC recommended order.

The links I posted were videos I uploaded. Would it be ok if I used your episode list in the description text for the Man Who Came Back intro clip?

Dorzac

Alphans
That's cool you got your letter read out.

I wonder if the Dalotek Affair which was shown at the end of the run could have also been shown earlier.
The order they were shown in seems to be very loosely based on the ITC recommended order.

The links I posted were videos I uploaded. Would it be ok if I used your episode list in the description text for the Man Who Came Back intro clip?
Yeah of course, no problem

Dorzac

Alphans
Yeah, the Dalotek affair was well out of place, in the middle of the Pinewood block, shoulda been with the other MGM episodes ... still, its better than the original ATV schedule, which had them all over the place.

It was always stupid having Survival after Exposed, in the space on one episode Foster goes from Trainee to Moonbase Commander. As i understand it, Computer Affair and Flight Path were supposed to be shown in between - these episodes were done before Billington joined to replace Derosa - so that Foster's absence from these episodes could be construed as him doing his training.

msw_1999

Alphans
So did Late Night Late re-show the whole series in 1989 as another viewers choice? I wasn't aware at the time after the first screening.

Dorzac

Alphans
So did Late Night Late re-show the whole series in 1989 as another viewers choice? I wasn't aware at the time after the first screening.
No idea, I assume so - all my index shows is the date, prog title and video cassette number. I know that BBC2 showed the series afterwards at some point, but sure that was the 1990's ...

The only oddity looking at the 1989 dates is there is a 4 week gap between the episodes; on the 1988 run, the gap is 7 weeks. Could they have been showing 2 episodes a week? If not, my dates are kaput or they were shown in a diff order ...

msw_1999

Alphans
No idea, I assume so - all my index shows is the date, prog title and video cassette number. I know that BBC2 showed the series afterwards at some point, but sure that was the 1990's ...

The only oddity looking at the 1989 dates is there is a 4 week gap between the episodes; on the 1988 run, the gap is 7 weeks. Could they have been showing 2 episodes a week? If not, my dates are kaput or they were shown in a diff order ...

I think your dates appear to be spot on.

yeah the BBC showed it around late 90's.

Many thanks for the information. I would have forgotten myself that it was on if I hadn't kept my Betamax tapes!

I think Channel 5 brought out a couple of episodes on VHS at some point in the early 90's as well.

Dorzac

Alphans
I think Channel 5 brought out a couple of episodes on VHS at some point in the early 90's as well.

Yeah, they released the "Super Space Theatre" editions originally, you know, the films they made by merging two or more episodes. I remember having Thunderbirds Are Go, Thunderbirds In Space, and then Countdown To Disaster, and then Invasion UFO came out.