Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Making a pallet pod

Bishop

Alphans
Transporter, a question about the original decking...were those 4 great holes where the winch barrels were screwed on? They're huge. I was expecting holes the size of the screws PE used on the eagle. Or is it that the winch barrels have pillars that go through the floor for the screws to go into?

With or without magnets it certainly looks like the deck needs replacing.

Transporter

Alphans
Thank you all, for your compliments. :)

Tony42 said:
Transporter, a question about the original decking...were those 4 great holes where the winch barrels were screwed on? They're huge. I was expecting holes the size of the screws PE used on the eagle. Or is it that the winch barrels have pillars that go through the floor for the screws to go into?

The pillars of the winch barrels do not go completely through the floor but through the rippled coat of the floor. Hence the large holes.

Bishop

Alphans
Hmmm, just to annoy everybody. (mind you, they didn't make it to be pulled apart) Oh well. I also assume that you have to dismantle the attachment frames at each end of the pod, correct?

Transporter

Alphans
Yes, but it is all very obvious when you take it apart. When building a new floor you just have to be very precise. The "boxes" where the attachement frames are attached to, (without glue, so there is no problem to remove them), have to be cut out, like you can see it on my pics above. But to make sure that everything fits again when newly put together these boxes must be placed exactly at the right spot on your new floor, which of course has to be precise too. Otherwise huge gaps will result or the new floor will be bent. :(

Bishop

Alphans
Oh wonderful. Well, I couldn't wait and had to drive across town to get the Freighter. I still can't believe how much it feels like Christmass when I get one of these. This will be the last I think, I really want a larger one.

I was looking at the winch pod I already have and attempting to pry things like engine bells off; I got a little worried because everything seemed very secure. Waiting for my daughter this afternoon, I began to try pulling things apart on the new pod...it just about falls to pieces in my hand thank goodness.

I shall dismantle it fully tonight and get the new floor tomorrow.
Thank you all for the help.

Bishop

Alphans
I'm very glad you warned me about accuracy. I am making a paper "master" before I try cutting any plastic...I have basically got it on the third go. :bang:

Holes? We love the holes :?

ostrein

Alphans
Tony42 said:
... I really want a larger one.

Tony42

I received my two 23" Eagles two weeks ago - since then I have problems to go to sleep :roll:

They're expensive, but when you have one - you just don't care anymore ;)

Bishop

Alphans
:cheers: :mrgreen: Ostrein, I am very jealous..I don't know how I shall ever get mine. :cry: But nothing is imposible :think:

Bishop

Alphans
All decals now ordered, and I have the card for the new pallet floor. As an aside to doing the pallet, did we ever reach a consensus about what colour the canisters should be? I have painted them white and given a light dusting of grey to try to get the speckled effect from the show, but it looks a little grey. I have added another dusting of white and its ok, but I see that others have just painted them white. What do people think is best?

Edited May 10 with extra info

The pallet was quite easy to make with the master, and has gone back together very easily. I haven't added washers for magnets etc as I may end up getting some of the aluminium ones and they wouldn't stick in any case. I shall let it dry for a day or so and then sort out painting.

Transporter

Alphans
Hey Tony42, just post a pic, so we can see your efforts. :D
I will do mine the same way you did. I also want to achieve the speckled effect. Of course, if you look from far away they are just white but looking closer to this following pic will reveal its original colour.

Bishop

Alphans
This is the pallet so far. Its certainly worth having a go at making the new decking. I tried filling the holes before I bought the plastic sheeting today, and it was not that successful. There is the tiniest bit of bowing that you can just make out in the photo, so I shall glue the pallet to the base and remove this. The masters I made weren't even in the ball park so I am very happy with this.

The flash has spoiled this, but you can just make out the "speckled effect"
Looking at the canister, I want to go back and do some more on it (both of them in fact) so I shall read the thread DX has pointed us to and keep painting.

Bishop

Alphans
Yes Ostrein, Eagle is very kindly making me some he's sending with the Dinky Transporter decals I bought from him.

Thanks Transporter. I didn't dare post pictures of what it looks like underneath, yours looked so precise, where as mine works and shall stay well hidden :D

Bishop

Alphans
Thinking about painting, I have decided to paint the pallet as it looks on Mark42's site. I will mask the base so that the PE paint remains as is, and then use a base of white with weathering of various sorts. I might try the markings that are on the 44" pallet.

I've straightened the slight bow, and have already flown the pallet pod around the room attached to an eagle. It is a must for the collection...looks very cool.
My poor parent's in-law are here to stay for a few weeks, and I have, of course, been trying to convert them to S99. They have politely listened to my excited ramblings , and have said nothing while I was doing the afforementioned test flight :twisted: Nice to keep them guessing about my sanity. :roll:

CR

Alphans
That cannister of yours looks pretty close in colour to the actual ones in "Breakaway." Good work!

Bishop

Alphans
Thank you. I have gone back and done a few adjustments to them so I shall respray them as I did before and move with my life as it were. The pod is now painted and mostly weathered. I am so glad I did the new floor. Your pictures were a great encouragement Transporter.