Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Making the IR Thunderbird 2 accurate "Modifications"

Bishop

Alphans
Its not a toy either, it doesn't do anything. At least the other two with all their faults have a diorama thing going that will allow them to do something I think TB1s wings even move, but poor TB2 has nothing at all.

TVC21

Alphans
Ironically, I was just drooling over a Master Replicas TV Enterprise. If I had the space, its a no brainer. Its twice the price of the IR TB2, but its three feet long, has loads of cool lights, and is signed by Shatner and Nimoy. Now theres` probably Trek fans ranting about it being wrong, but to a casual fan like me its stunning. Is that the same as the casual fan who will love the IR stuff? To me no, there`s no comparison in the quality of the items. What does everyone else think?

DX-SFX

Alphans
I'm seriously considering getting one of these beauties too. In photos, I can't fault it and I'm sure any minor manufacturing flaw is fixable if there are any. Yes, I know it's Trek but it's TOS which is not the same thing.

w8cmp

Alphans
Same here...if I had the money I'd get one without hesitation :thumbup:

It's the money thing that's a bit tight right now...:no:

Bishop

Alphans
I've just seen one of these TB2s (for $1100 AU) and I must say I am amazed at how poor it is. The brown lines have gone and the weathering on the example I saw looks a little like Mark42s, but

*The colour is so??????
*The nose is wrong (not sure why)
*The glass (plastic) is ill fitting everywhere
*The tail fin is wrong, shape and configuration of jets on the rear (have to check that one)
*The font is way wrong
*The pod is not defined at all especially where it meets the large yellow stripe (careless painting here)
*The yellow trim around the Ram jet intakes are very carelessly hand painted, and the finish of the edge itself was ordinary.
*The join lines running down the incorrectly painted mainl jets are very clear
*The wings have to be inserted into slots on the side of the hull and consequently don't fit flush to the hull at all, the gap on both sides being 2-3 mm On one side you could easily see the unpainted hull over the top of the wing.
*The windows are as we have said noticeably wrong
*There is on this particular vehicle a noticeable bend in the underneath of the pod so it appears that the whole thing is starting to take on the shape of a green banana. This is not helped by the way the decals are following the same bend. It looks like someone has grabbed the two ends and applied pressure with their knee in the middle.
*The plate which forms the base of the pod did not fit properly.
*The stubs of the landing legs were badly hand painted as well.

*The interior of the cockpit was brilliant (it needed to be lit, that's all) even down to Virgil.
I turned away and had a good look at the 23" eagle, and the quality of the build was like chalk and cheese.
I'm really not sure what's happened here. I'm sure they'll sell, but I wouldn't buy one to try and repair. I'd start again from scratch.

w8cmp

Alphans
I must admit I thought the one in Comet Miniatures the other day was shaped slightly like a banana...

I've just seen one of these TB2s (for $1100 AU) and I must say I am amazed at how poor it is. The brown lines have gone and the weathering on the example I saw looks a little like Mark42s, but

*The colour is so??????
*The nose is wrong (not sure why)
*The glass (plastic) is ill fitting everywhere
*The tail fin is wrong, shape and configuration of jets on the rear (have to check that one)
*The font is way wrong
*The pod is not defined at all especially where it meets the large yellow stripe (careless painting here)
*The yellow trim around the Ram jet intakes are very carelessly hand painted, and the finish of the edge itself was ordinary.
*The join lines running down the incorrectly painted mainl jets are very clear
*The wings have to be inserted into slots on the side of the hull and consequently don't fit flush to the hull at all, the gap on both sides being 2-3 mm On one side you could easily see the unpainted hull over the top of the wing.
*The windows are as we have said noticeably wrong
*There is on this particular vehicle a noticeable bend in the underneath of the pod so it appears that the whole thing is starting to take on the shape of a green banana. This is not helped by the way the decals are following the same bend. It looks like someone has grabbed the two ends and applied pressure with their knee in the middle.
*The plate which forms the base of the pod did not fit properly.
*The stubs of the landing legs were badly hand painted as well.

*The interior of the cockpit was brilliant (it needed to be lit, that's all) even down to Virgil.
I turned away and had a good look at the 23" eagle, and the quality of the build was like chalk and cheese.
I'm really not sure what's happened here. I'm sure they'll sell, but I wouldn't buy one to try and repair. I'd start again from scratch.

So, apart from that, it was OK then ?

TonyB

Forum Supporter
:lol: Most definately a Monty Python, 'What have the Roman's ever done for us' moment. :p

Franz Bolo

Alphans
I know the TB2 was destroyed after one of the episodes. I think it was the NYC one.

What were the differences between the newer TB2's and the original? I read that Derek Meddings always thought the original was much better.

On a side note, here is a pic I took at Comicon of the Trek Ship from MR.

FB

Straker90

Alphans
I know the TB2 was destroyed after one of the episodes. I think it was the NYC one.

What were the differences between the newer TB2's and the original? I read that Derek Meddings always thought the original was much better.

On a side note, here is a pic I took at Comicon of the Trek Ship from MR.

FB

She certainly looks good, although I do prefer the Enterprise A

eimb1999

Alphans
Although I'm not a big fan of many things Star Trek, that does look to me like a fabulous model. I don't know enough about it to judge it's accuracy, but I do think it looks right to me.

Having said all that though I really like the Enterprise as seen on TMP. as well as a few other designs like the Bird of Prey in Trek II etc. I bought myself three of the Polar Lights 30 inch Enterprise kits and am itching for an excuse to build one of them, as it's probably (IMO at least) the very best sci-fi kit ever produced. It's massive, it's well designed, seems accurate and lends itself well to lighting, plus, for what it is, was dirt cheap too, given what all kits cost today.:thumbup:

Since I rarely have tiome to build anything of my own I am hoping somebody wants me to build one for him and I can get paid for it! :deal:

I just wish Polar Lights had stuck with it long enough to do other ships of the same quality, like the Reliant, which is actually my fave of all the Starfleet designs.

But, unfortunately it seems that just as the kind of kits we've always wanted were starting to be produced, interest seems to have waned enough that nobody wants to make them anymore. Damned videogames.:rant:

There are SO many models I'd love to see done WELL and LARGE as injection kits that, I guess, won't see the light of day....

Nevertheles, thank God for Garage-Kitters... :clap:

Last edited:

It's sometimes difficult to tell with the series which model was created - or destroyed - at what point during production. When the episodes were expanded to fifty minutes length sequences were added to earlier episodes, and other sequences might have been reshot. I'm not sure if the TB2 that crashlands in Terror In New York City was the original studio miniature - it looks a bit smaller - or if this model was later repaired and used again. I seem to recall Derek saying that he wasn't very happy with one of the TB2 models, and this may have been the one used in the crash sequnce.

The colouring and lettering certainly changes from one version to another, but it's often difficult to work out the scale unless you can see something identifiable in shot.

You could get some idea of the changes if you were to watch the series in production order - if you could work out what the production order is !

djohn1

Alphans
Iconic Replicas/Product Enterprise

Following in fine ETDC tradition, let's use this thread to get the views and experiences of anyone modifying the Iconic Replicas Thunderbird 2 model to make it more accurate.

I guess we'll be quiet for a while - but it'll happen sooner or later. :)

I'd like to introduce myself to this forum. I'm the North American distributor for Iconic Replicas/Product Enterprise, producers of prop replicas and die-cast models based on the TV shows of Gerry Anderson. If anyone would like me to pass on comments or see a price list of what is currently available, please contact me.

Cheers,
John Davis
Davis Marketing Services
Email: johndavis1@charter.net
Tel: 608-441-0487

DX-SFX

Alphans
The one seen crashing in TINYC is the launch sequence model, however it was repaired. Next time you see it, it has a slightly flatter nose on top no doubt where the damage was repaired caused by a fiercely combusting pyro seen burning above the cockpit in the crash sequence.

Eagle

Commander Ret.
I'd like to introduce myself to this forum. I'm the North American distributor for Iconic Replicas/Product Enterprise, producers of prop replicas and die-cast models based on the TV shows of Gerry Anderson. If anyone would like me to pass on comments or see a price list of what is currently available, please contact me.

Cheers,
John Davis
Davis Marketing Services
Email: johndavis1@charter.net
Tel: 608-441-0487

Hello John, and welcome aboard. :)

You mention comments. Can I ask to whom will you pass them on? I gather that Steve, CEO, reads these boards on occasion, as does the extremely talented modelmaker* who does much of IR's pre-production work.

*I'm not tryng to be facetious or ironic here - he really is extremely talented. :yes:

Thanks for chiming-in - is there any way we can assist you?

Mark :)

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
The one seen crashing in TINYC is the launch sequence model, however it was repaired. Next time you see it, it has a slightly flatter nose on top no doubt where the damage was repaired caused by a fiercely combusting pyro seen burning above the cockpit in the crash sequence.

Actually you also see it like this at the very begining of the episode when its at the burning oil rig. Before the crash the model has the small number 2's on its nose and then in the hanger and at the begining it has the larger numbers.
The tailbar also broke off the model during the crash sequence and can be seen reattached in the wrong position (too far forwards) in one shot.

Although I'm not a big fan of many things Star Trek, that does look to me like a fabulous model. I don't know enough about it to judge it's accuracy, but I do think it looks right to me.

Having said all that though I really like the Enterprise as seen on TMP. as well as a few other designs like the Bird of Prey in Trek II etc. I bought myself three of the Polar Lights 30 inch Enterprise kits and am itching for an excuse to build one of them, as it's probably (IMO at least) the very best sci-fi kit ever produced. It's massive, it's well designed, seems accurate and lends itself well to lighting, plus, for what it is, was dirt cheap too, given what all kits cost today.:thumbup:

Since I rarely have tiome to build anything of my own I am hoping somebody wants me to build one for him and I can get paid for it! :deal:

I just wish Polar Lights had stuck with it long enough to do other ships of the same quality, like the Reliant, which is actually my fave of all the Starfleet designs.

But, unfortunately it seems that just as the kind of kits we've always wanted were starting to be produced, interest seems to have waned enough that nobody wants to make them anymore. Damned videogames.:rant:

There are SO many models I'd love to see done WELL and LARGE as injection kits that, I guess, won't see the light of day....

Nevertheles, thank God for Garage-Kitters... :clap:

The points that Jim makes here make the case as to why the manufacturers of the large, expensive, "collector edition" type models should be doing their best to make them as accurate as possible. I hope that Mr. Davis from Davis Marketing Services, the folks at Master Replicas and anyone else considering making replicas along these lines will take the following as constructive criticism and helpful potential customer feedback.

When you present models with the color and accuracy problems that the IR TB-2 replica has, not only are you alienating the customer base that you want to attract, you are priming the market for your competition to provide more accurate or less expensive alternatives.

The Master Replicas TOS Enterprise is a very nice piece of work, and no doubt worth the $1200 USD (and up, depending on the edition you want)they are asking for it, but that price point is high enough to generate a market that a garage kit company is about to enter with their vacuform and resin version that will run (according to them) about $200 USD.

David Sisson and Martin Bower's websites have great "how-to" sections about how they made their replicas of the Anderson craft. It's a lot of work to make your own, and that is essentially what you are paying for with these replicas - someone else is doing the work for you. If their final product isn't as good or better than you can do yourself and/or they charging a lot for it, cheaper and more accurate alternatives that are available become much more attractive.

I've spoken to the folks at Master Replicas about producing the Eagle and the other Anderson craft (now that they are owned by Corgi, who knows what may happen), as well as considering producing their models as an unfinished kits, and now that AMT/ERTL/RC2/Polar Lights is getting out of the model kit business, who knows what may happen there, either. Now that MR has walked away from the Star Wars license (absolutely astonishing - those must have been some contentious negotiations!), they have to come up with something to replace that lost market. I think that offering both finished and unfinished versions of these "collector" type models makes a lot more sense as far as recouping production and licensing costs.