Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Making the IR Thunderbird 2 accurate "Modifications"

MkIXHawk

Alphans
A great replica for the 'discerning collector' that one...:think:

This is obviously a new meaning of the word 'Discerning' of which I was previously unaware. i.e. Blind, deaf stupid and with far more money than sense.

The whole thinng has 'bodge job' written all over it

it makes a Vogon look pretty

Bishop

Alphans
It is a quote from the IR page about why they wanted to make the move from toys to large resin prop thingies.... "for the discerning collector." I'm personally glad I have had the chance to collect their so called "toys"... they're streets ahead of this.

cricket

Alphans
This is obviously a new meaning of the word 'Discerning' of which I was previously unaware. i.e. Blind, deaf stupid and with far more money than sense.

The whole thinng has 'bodge job' written all over it

it makes a Vogon look pretty

Well, that hits the nail right on the head! :lol: :lol:

Steve D

Alphans
The thingies dont really seem to do anything although sods law says if I cut them off the whole thing will fall to bits. I really would like to re-do the (side) windows though, but the big problem is the cockpit looks to me like it is epoxied in place so unless someone can suggest a way of removing it painlessly its gonna have to stay. Painting is no real problem although I would like to opt for a darker colour which they had at the start of the series but this would mean the shape would be wrong as it is much chunkier. The later models all seemed to be sleeker when viewed from the side. And speaking of cockpits I will take a pic of the top of the windows, youre not gonna belive this, and will post tomorrow, all I will say for now is I now know how Virgil keeps the sun out of his eyes....Later...

Last edited:

Bishop

Alphans
It's true you won't believe these. Passing on two pictures from Steve D of the cabin windows... no sun getting in there. Just incredible :no:

Gee the black dots under the windows are well applied too

Last edited:

Bishop

Alphans
BTW Steve D have you actually tried to get the windscreen off? Is that stuff resin or is it the glue they used to attach the screen with?

Steve D

Alphans
You cant remove the windscreen from the front it has to be done from the inside. I imagine it would be really difficult getting the cockpit out as it seems to be bonded in place with some sort of silver epoxy. Having said that it may be possible to use a Dremel with a flexi shaft to get into the nooks and crannies. The gunge you can see through the windows looks to me like the resin its cast from has started to set when the model has been in a nose down attitude in the spin casting machine ( if in fact thats what they use ) and they either didnt know about this problem or just couldnt be bothered to grind it off thinking people wouldnt notice. You cant really see the gunge unless you look right through the windscreen with a good light behind you but once you know its there youre eyes are always drawn to it. Shoddy workmanship/quality control at the very least. Im gomma have to have a real good look at TB3 before I buy no more impulse purchases for me ( at least for now ):lol::thumbup:

Steve D

Alphans
Good call:lol: but do you really expect these guys to get something right after the green bannana??? Its not asking too much in this day and age to find a modeller to produce an accurate master then produce it. But we shall wait and see I suppose:thumbup:

CR

Alphans
How could they expect nobody to notice excess gunge hanging behind the windows? Catering to the "discerning collector" my arse. :x

Bishop

Alphans
Steve D has sent me some more photos of TB2 (and some extras) which I post shortly. I'm blown away at how marked the bend in the thing actually is. This baby could only fly round in circles... loops everywhere. I wish I had one I could measure the angle on as its got to be somewhere between 20-30 degrees... the main engines are pointing down man down!!!

Bishop

Alphans
Here are the photos (just about all of them... having trouble with uploading to photobucket. Seems ok now)

I have noticed the bend, how flat the craft seems... like someone stood on it, and how the main engines don't join flush, that is, like of the Vivid imaginations TB2 Play set (the big dark green one... lots of fun) there is a lip between where the engines join and the engines themselves. The rest speaks for itself.

There are also a few eagle shots to make us feel a little better. The overhead shot of the eagles and CM shows the difference between the 23" and 12" side pods. Even from the distance you can tell that the smaller ones are the right shape and the larger ones not quite so.

And the eagles

Bishop

Alphans
Agreed. BTW I found your site with all your photos by accident last night Saturnapollo. Very cool:thumbup:

cricket

Alphans
A bit off target, but as my kids watch Thunderbirds for the first time, when TB2 is featured getting ready for a mission, one of the great fun they have is talking about the various pods and what has gone into which. They somehow manage to keep the contents perfectly straight, whereas I am lamentable always getting it wrong (much to their great delight, I might add!). I have no doubt that if I could get my hands on a playset (reasonable price!), it would be a huge hit in my home. :yes:

Bishop

Alphans
I have a spare one here, but I think you'd snag a much cheaper buy postage wise on ebay. Also look for the 1993 Matchbox one 1, 2 (with 4 in pod) and 3.

Lots of play value for you ... and the kids of course The TB1 and TB3 play sets are also very cool. I have 1 but missed 3

MkIXHawk

Alphans
Seeing all those photos of the mis-shapen beast, reminds me that I received , as a christmas Gift, a TB2 keyring. Now, this model is only about the length of my thumb but is FAR more accurate. Admittedly, there are no windows but in that scale you'd hardly see them anyway. The colour is FAR closer to the original than IR's 'Effort'

Bishop

Alphans
Seeing all those photos of the mis-shapen beast, reminds me that I received , as a christmas Gift, a TB2 keyring. Now, this model is only about the length of my thumb but is FAR more accurate. Admittedly, there are no windows but in that scale you'd hardly see them anyway. The colour is FAR closer to the original than IR's 'Effort'

I think there's one floating around ebay at present. Comes in a presentation box too.

gojira61

Forum Supporter
I was just watching “Thunderbirds Are Go” researching another project and this Thunderbird 2 model jumped out at me. Look how the engines meet the fuselage.

I’m not saying PE is right but there was at least one model where the engines did not fit flush to the fuselage or to say there is a lip.