Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Making the IR Thunderbird 2 accurate "Modifications"

DX-SFX

Alphans
That particular one is the exception. New fibreglass models were made for the films. At least the shape on that one matches fairly closely the original TV launch sequence model although the ends of the pod are absolutely vertical.

Bishop

Alphans
Though the C 21 guys mucked up the length of the engines ... IRs are much longer and have that join down them ;)

Its a good shot for the colour not so grunged up... very close to Satin 131 (Humbrol) Having seen the first eps again, I do rather like the first TB2, but I imagine there were quite a lot of "first" TB2s with all the different scales.

Daikaiju1

Alphans
Though the C 21 guys mucked up the length of the engines ... IRs are much longer and have that join down them ;)

Its a good shot for the colour not so grunged up... very close to Satin 131 (Humbrol) Having seen the first eps again, I do rather like the first TB2, but I imagine there were quite a lot of "first" TB2s with all the different scales.

My real question is: Why does every major manufacturer make the grey panel either side of the T2 top hatch into deeply a recessed window when it is obviously a painted panel?? Also Humbrol 76 uniform green seems a good match for the less olive paint scheme to me...
Just my 2p ($0.65)

Bishop

Alphans
A very good question. Thanks for the paint heads up too. I think we should make a list of the possibilities for a sticky. Welcome to the forum too BTW :W:

Daikaiju1

Alphans
A very good question. Thanks for the paint heads up too. I think we should make a list of the possibilities for a sticky. Welcome to the forum too BTW :W:

Thank you for the welcome! I have been hanging out for some time, but waiting for something I can reply about with some confidence before opening my mouth. as it were..

Daikaiju1

Alphans
The hideous colour remains the deal-killer for me...

Yeah, its only the colour thats stopping me.. Ha Ha! Look, I grabbed a PE FAB1 for $450 Australian, and if I want later I can repaint it, etc. No way would I pay $800+ for a TB2 or 3, when they appear so mass produced bad. I have the Imai 1/144 TB2 and am scratchbuilding an 18" TB3, so I am happy! If I can win Lotto and quit work, even better! Keep you posted. :lol:

dilligaf

Alphans
Yeah, its only the colour thats stopping me.. Ha Ha! Look, I grabbed a PE FAB1 for $450 Australian, and if I want later I can repaint it, etc. No way would I pay $800+ for a TB2 or 3, when they appear so mass produced bad. I have the Imai 1/144 TB2 and am scratchbuilding an 18" TB3, so I am happy! If I can win Lotto and quit work, even better! Keep you posted. :lol:

Was the paint on the PE Fab1 wrong? It looked ok to me. I happened to see the 1:1 replica touring the UK in the late 60's and (to my fading memory) the paint on the PE version looks a very good match.

Daikaiju1

Alphans
Was the paint on the PE Fab1 wrong? It looked ok to me. I happened to see the 1:1 replica touring the UK in the late 60's and (to my fading memory) the paint on the PE version looks a very good match.

The Product Enterprise FAB1 is a nice build up of the AB Models resin kit if I am not mistaken,and a nice replica. The colour is OK.., but really a bit pale to my mind. There may be other discussions/opinions here before I joined, but I could not find them in searches. When I get the rush of blood I plan to re do-the pink paint, and the chrome strips in Bare Metal foil. Maybe also the head/tail lights with LEDs, not sure yet.

dilligaf

Alphans
The Product Enterprise FAB1 is a nice build up of the AB Models resin kit if I am not mistaken,and a nice replica. The colour is OK.., but really a bit pale to my mind. There may be other discussions/opinions here before I joined, but I could not find them in searches. When I get the rush of blood I plan to re do-the pink paint, and the chrome strips in Bare Metal foil. Maybe also the head/tail lights with LEDs, not sure yet.

Jeez, Id have to get a Fab1 veeerrrryyy cheap before I'd tinker too much with it :D Im glad I got this prop replica as the TB2 (my other must have) has been a total disappointment to all. :(

Jeez, Id have to get a Fab1 veeerrrryyy cheap before I'd tinker too much with it :D Im glad I got this prop replica as the TB2 (my other must have) has been a total disappointment to all. :(

It's the old old problem of what looks right onscreen looking wrong "in the flesh" on the original prop. I'm happy enough with the colour of my FAB 1 but suspect the paint might have been applied with a 6" brush :-/
:-/

Bishop

Alphans
When it was first advertised the Fab 1 and all of these approximations were supposed to be diecast. When Fab 1 appeared and was mostly resin and ordinary plastic I was very disappointed. Having seen what followed I think it and the PE 23" were by far the best things that came from the factory in the large scale. I must say, the eagle beats it hands down as for some reason Fab 1 looked plastic really "plastic".

I was also miffed when the "diecast" eagle I bought wasn't all diecast. (I collect indestructible Dinkies you understand.)

Doomsday

Alphans
I can't say I'm too impressed with the T2
What is the lime green all about?
You have reminded me that I have a large plastic T2 toy I bought quite cheap years ago. (I actually have two as I found one at a car boot sale for £2)
It has a better colour. Actually I think it's better all round!
Have to find it in my loft, just to have a look.
I have a loft full of boxes of models, must get it organized.
Places on "to do" list! :hmm:

MoonWatcher7

Alphans
From A "Green" Forum Member.

Hi there everyone!

Have just joined your excellent forum and thought I would dive in and offer some comment. Getting back to basics, and to the actual use of the second Thunderbird craft as the main work horse of International Rescue, its designer, Brains, chose the colour green as its livery. It needed to remain camauflaged for as long as possible when it left its secret cliff house hanger, and this part of Tracy Island had much natural cover of tropical vegetation. Perhaps in deciding TB2's colour, Brains opted for a shade of green sympathetic with its launch pad surroundings? Great forum by the way.

From an original 'Thunderbirds' 1960's viewer,

Mark.

Last edited:

Bishop

Alphans
Thank goodness Brians used a better green than IR did. Welcome to the forum MoonWatcher7 (if you haven't been already) :W: