Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Making the PE12 Eagle accurate. "Modifications"

E

Eagle-1

Actually Fred......

Just taking it apart enough to paint those walkways white, isn't too tough AT ALL. If that's all you would like to do (except change the stripes), just say the word and we'll talk you through it. You won't even damage any of the other paint and should be able to put it back together and never even know you took it apart!

Just say the word!

Eaglenut, you've convinced me! I'm opening some windows on the next one. Time to let the wind whip through Alan's hair!

Rob.

Last edited:

fredlight

Alphans
Well, I read through this thread many horrifying stories using surgeons tools to do it and I'm really afraid to do it..especially since I just have screw drivers and hammer at home...

And then, there's my vocabulary, but this can be fixed with a good dictionnary I guess:D

How one would proceed to have access to these corridors to paint them, and how would you paint them? Because when I painted my VIP into and normal transporter, the orange color kept coming up (I'm afraid to put a first layer and make the details disappear under too much painting)...what I'm working with for now is Revell models paint(ing?) colors red matt 36, grey 76 and light grey SM371 (which really matches theses Eagle white/grey main color) and I have a black matt 9.

I found Citadell Colours to be fun to use too(watter paint) and I bought 2 different metal style colours to put here and there for now...(in fact, I fully painted one of my eagles feet with one metal colors, and it looks quite good infact, even though not canon)

And I have two "pinceaux"/brushes, and the shaking hands that go with them

EDIT: and by the way, I don't wnat to become the Butcher of Eagle Street.... :)

hwels

Alphans
I painted the corridors white without taking the Eagle apart. It can be done, but takes a lot of time. See post #67 and #80 in this thread.

fredlight

Alphans
yep, good work.I think this is what I will try...my extra VIP turned to be normal Eagle will be my experimental toy for the others...

w8cmp

Alphans
Taking the Eagles apart for a repaint is easy. I can do a whole Eagle from disassembly, spraying and reassembly in about an hour these days.

w8cmp

Alphans
I'm working on a few today - I shall try to take some pictures and do some instructions...

My task for today is to take the following:

Transporter (to convert to Rescue with correct stripes)
Lab Pod
Freighter
VIP

And add Mike Reader engine bells, paint black areas under landing gear pods, repaint corridors, paint RCS thruster nozzles, among other things.

T70MkIII

Alphans
Taking the Eagles apart for a repaint is easy. I can do a whole Eagle from disassembly, spraying and reassembly in about an hour these days.

Any thoughts on paint stripping prior to respray? I understand oven cleaner is often used, but I've only seen the 'non-caustic' variety here which hardly touches the paint :thumbdown:

I guess it's like insecticide - doesn't seem to kill insects anymore.

w8cmp

Alphans
I was only talking of painting the corridor sections - and for this I simply use white auto primer over the existing paint.

I haven't actually stripped the whole model yet for a repaint. Do any of you diecast restoration guys recommend anything for the paint removal ? I used Nitromors once some years ago with good results - but the stuff is pretty lethal...:O

DX-SFX

Alphans
Most die casts need Nitromors particularly if the original paint finish is stoved. Just make sure you use rubber washing up gloves when using it and preferably outside.

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Bear in mind that there are two types of Nitomors paint stripper.

The green can is nuetralised by water, which is the safest one to use to be honest.

The other stronger version used to be in a yellow can, (but I have not looked for it recently so it may have changed), and is only nuetralised by white spirits, this stuff is very dangerous so be careful if using it.

saturnapollo

Alphans

I never cease to be amazed at how fast you can work, Chris. And the results are still amazing!

Keith

w8cmp

Alphans
Well due to Christmas preparations getting in the way, I only managed to do the following today:

• Take apart 2 of 3 Eagles, repaint corridors & reassemble with Mike Reader bells.
  • Take apart transporter pod and start masking for red stripes. Removed VTOL bells for replacement when reassembling.
  • Replace VTOL bells on VIP pod with Mike Reader bells.
  • Take apart winch pod, repaint winch drums, & reassemble. Noticed some damage to the framing at the pod end, so have made repairs. Added Mike Reader VTOL bells.
  • Removed decals from 3 Eagles ready for Chris Trice replacements.
  • Sand down & prepare engine baffles for mounting in new engine bells on 3 Eagles.
  • Prepare list of new bells required from Mike to complete all Eagles currently in stock.
  • Take studio scale UFO model & fill the indentations on the reverse of the 'paddles' ready for mounting to main craft.
  • Added new Hawk patch to studio scale Hawk model base.
  • Printed several reference photos for red striped Rescue pod (variant where lines don't go all the way to the bottom).
I did take some photos of the disassembly process on the Eagles, but they're not as good as the ones linked above, so I won't post them today.

Chris

Crikey Chris! The rate you, and others on this forum, upgrade PE Eagles it seems to me that anyone who has an untouched one has a real collectable. They must be rarer than hen's teeth by now!

steve36uk

Alphans
Well due to Christmas preparations getting in the way, I only managed to do the following today:

• Take apart 2 of 3 Eagles, repaint corridors & reassemble with Mike Reader bells.
  • Take apart transporter pod and start masking for red stripes. Removed VTOL bells for replacement when reassembling.
  • Replace VTOL bells on VIP pod with Mike Reader bells.
  • Take apart winch pod, repaint winch drums, & reassemble. Noticed some damage to the framing at the pod end, so have made repairs. Added Mike Reader VTOL bells.
  • Removed decals from 3 Eagles ready for Chris Trice replacements.
  • Sand down & prepare engine baffles for mounting in new engine bells on 3 Eagles.
  • Prepare list of new bells required from Mike to complete all Eagles currently in stock.
  • Take studio scale UFO model & fill the indentations on the reverse of the 'paddles' ready for mounting to main craft.
  • Added new Hawk patch to studio scale Hawk model base.
  • Printed several reference photos for red striped Rescue pod (variant where lines don't go all the way to the bottom).
I did take some photos of the disassembly process on the Eagles, but they're not as good as the ones linked above, so I won't post them today.

Chris

Only!!!!:cry::cry: