Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Making the PE23 Eagle accurate. "Modifications"

DARKVIEW

Forum Supporter
thanks for your help gentlemen ;-) yes lve lots of stuff to show you guys when l get them scanned and saved and on photobucket

Last edited:

gonzman70

Alphans
They were some nice pics from skyfullofstars, showing the Eagle in dismanteling status. Unfortunatly, the links didn`t work anymore.
Any chance still getting the pics ?

best wishes
Holger

b26354

Alphans
DIY engine bells

Decided it was time to replace the engine bells of my PE23. Since I like a challenge I retrofitted the cheapest, smallest metalworking lathe I could find with some stepper motors (as an experiment before tackling a bigger lathe) and made this prototype:

http://www.b26354.co.nz/CNC/pictures/dsc_2275.html

I need to grind a new tool for the grooves as these ended up a bit wide but it actually looks like it might work.

Note to Iconic Replicas - if I can build a CNC lathe in my garage over a couple of weekends and produce a part which looks a thousand times better than the OEM engines (and a million times better than the plated ones on the lab eagle) surely you can find somewhere in China with a fully automated CNC lathe that can churn out a thousand of these a day.

However Jon, knowing what you can produce in metal with a lathe anyway, I would be suprised if YOU couldn't produce something better in your sleep!;)

Good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Cheers from me.

Tony (ex T4BB, Aliens Legacy and Dropship Club boards...:))

Last edited:

ostrein

Alphans
Jon,

your main bell's looking brilliant:thumbup:

I would be very interested seeing your lathe :yes:

If you're thinking of selling the original main bells, I'm very interested :brows:

BTW, welcome on board.

:)liver

b26354

Alphans
here's the lathe (before I moved one of the stepper motors to the other side)
http://www.b26354.co.nz/CNC/pictures/dsc_2268.html

click "return to gallery" on the link to see some other pics.

also there is a vid on youtube testing the lathe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-pc2RL27r0

Jon,

your main bell's looking brilliant:thumbup:

I would be very interested seeing your lathe :yes:

If you're thinking of selling the original main bells, I'm very interested :brows:

BTW, welcome on board.

:)liver

DARKVIEW

Forum Supporter
Decided it was time to replace the engine bells of my PE23. Since I like a challenge I retrofitted the cheapest, smallest metalworking lathe I could find with some stepper motors (as an experiment before tackling a bigger lathe) and made this prototype:

http://www.b26354.co.nz/CNC/pictures/dsc_2275.html

I need to grind a new tool for the grooves as these ended up a bit wide but it actually looks like it might work.

Note to Iconic Replicas - if I can build a CNC lathe in my garage over a couple of weekends and produce a part which looks a thousand times better than the OEM engines (and a million times better than the plated ones on the lab eagle) surely you can find somewhere in China with a fully automated CNC lathe that can churn out a thousand of these a day.

way cool and your so right. would you be possibly making them to sell? if so how much:think:

b26354

Alphans
Probably won't be making sets for sale. Even though I can make 4 exactly the same by hooking a computer up to a lathe there's still a lot of manual work cutting the stock, recentering the parts between passes and babysitting the lathe while it's running.

A big CNC lathe with a 2" barstock feeder, hydraulic chuck, auto toolchanger, auto tool setter and a chip and part conveyer could easily make 40 to 50 from a 2m length of aluminium without any human intervention in the same time it takes me to make one.

I was also looking at the VTOL thrusters on the PE23 - seems like they'll be the next things to go. Can't quite figure out how they thought the diameters of all 8 were the same :( Does the lab eagle have larger thrusters on the companionways?

way cool and your so right. would you be possibly making them to sell? if so how much:think:

Mikey29211

Alphans
I just got my PE23 and it has no damage per say except i think the springs on the landing pods are too stiff. As it sits, if this was an actual craft, the door would be atleast 10 feet off the ground.

I don't have the skills to fix it up like you guys, I totally destroyed my RU23, well, probably one of you guys could do something with it.

hdknight

Alphans
Chromed Nozzles on 23" Laboratory Eagle

Just received my Lab Eagle today, and was blinded by the chrome main Engine nozzles, I read that some have CNC new ones which is beyond my current capabilities. Whats the word on either replacing or weathering them to dull down that chrome. Anyone tried anything as simple as flat lacquer?

TIA,

Ken

Bishop

Alphans
What about very fine sandpaper that's been used so even finer... so doesn't scratch harshly but dulls down? Steel wool? New bells from Mike Reader :D

Howard

Forum Supporter
I picked up a Lab from comet - I can't honestly say it has a 'twisted' spine, although it is a little on the banana side. :lol:

On the whole I'm very pleased with it - but can see a major re-work of some areas when time permits...

DARKVIEW

Forum Supporter
its pisses me off that the models in the first place were not made well . . . thinking due to in the first opening price at £399 . . . l am not shocked about its price dropped over the last few years due to its poor eye to true detail :-/

DARKVIEW

Forum Supporter
sorry my printers dead for now!!!

on the 23'' eagle CM, whats the best way to get those bloody awful joins away and has anyone a visual guide on it, l guess l remember the basics but its so long ago since l model made.

(just recieved my 23'' lm loving it, arrrrrrrrhh l see the CM is not a central joining of 2 halfs but a drawn line, mint

lam just getting preparations in order for my 23'', god lm going to need a list of tools/sandpapers/glues/paints/etc when it goes under the knife if lm brave enough . . . :oops:

Last edited:

DARKVIEW

Forum Supporter
nartin

lve added detail in my 23''. . . slowly but l know that things change in eagles detail, lve know Martin Bowers work from the start and details change over the years from his alterations but compared to my past work he is the master:thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited: