Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Matchbox toys used in Thunderbirds

Mike Delamar

Alphans
...and a crazy big bulb stuck on the top :)

can see the front of it in this shot

Mike

SMS88

Alphans
Awesome stills and expert id of toys, brilliant:thumbup: I saw these episodes throughout my childhood and again when they had the big comeback in the 1990s without spotting that the cars were Lesneys, the main focus of my collection.Fireflash is very well designed and made, hopefully an affordable 1/72 model will appear oneday...

FeRaHGo

Alphans
I knew that they used parts of kits or toys to create the vehicles/buildings...but the way mike spots thema and disassembles them is amazing! They overall effect of the 1960s vehicles and futuristic ones leads to a very interesting atmosphere

Paul W

Alphans
I agree FehRaGo :yes: Those Matchbox cars in the shows are just amazing! There's also a load of model kits too. Marc Frattasio did some great researcg about 10 years ago on this - you can find on my blog here.

FeRaHGo

Alphans
Wow Paul, that's pretty cool. It is probaly the use of SRN-1 hovercraft kits in these models that made the kit rare!!! It does seem to crop up alot.

And Mike, on the pic of the fire engine's front it appears to have a searchlight on the bonnet, and the fire truck to the left appears to be a landrover. And Mike, I have to hand it to you, these replicas you are doing are supurb, i always loved the fire engines and the MSP

FeRaHGo

Alphans
http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/FeRaHGo_2009/?action=view&current=DSCN2933.jpg
This is my Aoshima Fireflash album on Photobucket, more updates when i get an airbrush, also refer to the thread 'Hi from FeRaHGo' for more details and a more pernament link. Comments on fireflash construction will be gratefully accepted as I want her to be perfect.

To business,
I was watching the Captain Scarlet episode Point 783 (one of the best in my opinion) to day when i realised that the Unitron (the tank involved) blew up a pair of targets, one explosion was recorded then played facing the wrong way to make it look like two different explosions. The targets appeared to be tankers, and one of them was almost certainly a Matador. I suspect it was the Matador and 5.5in gun http://www.airfix.com/airfix-produc...ld-gun-sets/a01314-matador-and-55-gun-a01314/ or the airield refuelling airfix kitshttp://www.airfix.com/airfix-produc...rchguid=2009127222258&resultspage=&sortorder=.
I am also suspecting the halftrack in the same episode a US M1 halftrack chassis.

http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/FeRaHGo_2009/?action=view&current=DSCN2933.jpg
The targets appeared to be tankers, and one of them was almost certainly a Matador. I suspect it was the Matador and 5.5in gun

The truck blown up in the captain Scarlet episode does look similar to the Matador, but it would have been much larger than the 1/76th scale Airfix models. It would probably have been nearer 1/16th scale. The tank that the Unitron is based on is the famous 'Tiger Joe' toy, which is about 20 inches long. The trucks would have been a similar size, and probably scratch built by the Century 21 effects model workshop.

It's more like 1/12 for the Unitron, I'm sure the model shop used the topper toys "fat cat" tow truck as the basis on this model, this truck model is seen before, as it is the one from the Thunderbirds episode "The Imposters" as the world army looks for international rescue.

FeRaHGo

Alphans
:think:Haven't heard of a Matador kit that big...shame i was so certain too ('m still swanning about in small scale stuff guys sorry:p)

MkIXHawk

Alphans
It's more like 1/12 for the Unitron, I'm sure the model shop used the topper toys "fat cat" tow truck as the basis on this model, this truck model is seen before, as it is the one from the Thunderbirds episode "The Imposters" as the world army looks for international rescue.

I think the toy may also have been used as a Road Menders' truck in Camberwick Green

Cheers H ! :D

FeRaHGo

Alphans
The red tractor vehicle in this scene's forground is also used in the Captain Scarlet episode 'Fire at Rig 15' it can be seen scuttling through the Ben Sheba refinery when the refinery is being evacuated. It is very small, the set for Ben Sheba must be huge...

cheers

Mike[/QUOTE]

FeRaHGo

Alphans
Just seen a tiger Joe Tank, and I am fairly certain that the Chassis is the same. Do I get a coconut for seeing the little red truck in Ben Sheba? lol (I learnt that saying from Lt. Green in the Crater 101 episode)

FeRaHGo

Alphans
Hey Stingray, mate, when you quote some text with a picture...just select the inserted picture [img:the bit betweenthese brackets!] and delete it to get rid of the pic. Its is currently against forum rules to quote lots of pics and things. Just a helpful note in case you didn't know how to do it.