Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Mattel Eagle Conversion

klee

Alphans
Possible beginning of a new project:
A comparison of the Mattel Eagle Command Module and the Round 2/MPC 22 inch Eagle Command Module.
My thought is to recreate the Eagle model I built in 1979 using the Mattel Space:1999 Eagle toy as the basis. There will be a lot of scratchbuilding involved in this, namely the cages, corridors, passenger pod, engine plumbing, landing gear and possibly the spine if I cannot satisfactorily alter the toy spine (I ignored the spine on my original model and used it as is). With the wealth of information I have now that I lacked in 1979 along with my much improved modeling skills this should be great when I finish. I still have to get a few parts, mainly the main engine bells and the bottom lift-off engine bells.

After searching in vain for a viable (inexpensive) source for the main engine bells, I have decided to make my own, using model rocket nosecones as the basis. They should come out looking like a cross between the 22 in bells from MPC and the original Mattel engine bells.

And my original model from 1979:

I wish I had better images of the original, but the only camera I had in 1979 was a cheap Polaroid with poor focus.

klee

Alphans
The beginnings of the alterations I am making on my Mattel Space:1999 Eagle. This will be a long process, when I did this on my original toy in 1979 it took me over a month working 4 to 5 hours a day on it.

klee

Alphans
I started doing this years ago but I never got round to doing much. Be interesting to see what yours ends up like.

The only other parts I may use from the Mattel toy are the leg pods and spine and those will need modifications. nearly everything else will be scratch built.

klee

Alphans
Got the main body of the Mattel Eagle today. After altering the spine to add the missing center section, the model will be right at 33 inches when completed. Part of me wants to scratchbuild the spine from brass and the other part wants to just use what I have, just like I did nearly 40 years ago.

klee

Alphans
Got the opening filled in where the toy's CM roof door was located. Some putty, filing and sanding it will almost be a seamless repair.

klee

Alphans
I just realized that I started this on Sept 9, I wonder if I can finish it before Sept 13th 2019?
A little more progress tonight, the CM is looking good:

klee

Alphans
I didn't think that was doable. But, glad to see the proof otherwise!

Yeah, it takes a little work, Mattel got the curves of the CM very close to being right, they just messed up the windows and they blunted the nose. After seeing that the shape was close I knew it was just a matter of cutting out the existing window recesses and putting them back to get the proper window shape. I also plan on building up the tip of the CM nose and filing it to a proper pointy shape so it will look more like the studio models.