Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Maximum Security Vehicle

Angelo

Alphans
My all time favourite Anderson vehile is the MSV.
I am desparate to build a replica, as close to studio scale as possible.
Does anyone have any info on how big it was, or any profiles/blue prints.
I have the Dinky MSV and that is as spot on in dimensions as its going to get, but I can't work on a bigger model with out an idea of sizes.
Many thanks.

Dave

Alphans
There are decent profile photos available of the original model, PM me if you want me to email you a set.

Mike Delamar

Alphans
I think I promised someone on here screengrabs of it a while back which I totally forgot about, my girlfriends brat of a brother has still got my first disc, but Im sure its on another episode as a road block, what one is that and Ill do a screengrab now if its any use?

it is a great looking vehicle, my dad had the dinky one with the gold bullion :)

Mike

Mike Delamar

Alphans
sorry its taken so long, ive only just got it back tonight, from the pilot episode, and manhunt.

cheers

Mike

paul gray

Forum Supporter
as usual some excellent grabs there Mike. all we need now is a studio scale model and i can get some nice aluminium wheel hubs done.
cheers Paul

akoenig

Alphans
I was the one who asked for pics, thanks a bunch Mike.

In fact, I was looking for interior views of the driver compartment, which is not seen at all in the series (I got the complete series this summer, before that I had not seen nothing at all of the series) so... artistic license mode ON!!!! Whoooopeee!

And by the looks of it, those are blacked-out windows in the front.

Personally I think that is a shame, as having the seating arrangements in the MSV the same as those in the SPV would have been appropriate. What does everyone else think?

saturnapollo

Alphans
The MSV is one of my favourites from the show, but sadly underused. The Imai kit is not bad actually and when I built it years and years ago, was the first time I used Bare Metal Foil. I was realy disappointed when PE cancelled it.

Keith

akoenig

Alphans
I don't know if the CS crafts were designed with a "design philosophy" in mind (Meddings, wasn't he?), but my two favorite ones, SPV and MSV, look both like primeval armoured animals. For me, the SPV looks like a mixture between a rhino and a shark. And the MSV reminds me of a mean turtle. And I love them!

By the way, the only part we see of the MSV interior is the passenger compartment. We can see it again in other episode -I don't remember the name- as the cockpit of a spaceship with some levers and dials added.

In "the unofficial CS website" (http://www.spectrum-headquarters.com/msv.html there is a tech drawing with a partial interior exposed, which states that the driver compartment is separated of the passengers one by means of a wall.

I've always thought that many of the vehicles in the Century 21 universe have a mechanoid creature aspect to them - the Sidewinder and Crablogger being obvious examples. Neither Derek Meddings (who designed the SPV) or Mike Trim (who designed the MSV) ever seem to have admitted that this was intentional though. BTW, the MSV was never intended to be a mjor piece of Scarlet hardware. Mike was given the job to design what was described in the script as an armoured car, but came up with something that was taken up as a major vehicle in the merchandising of the series. The Spectrum Saloon Car (also designed by Mike) was another 'accidental' star.

Fun Pod

Alphans
That forth screengrab of Mike's makes it appear as if the Spectrum officer is on his knees :roll:. We'll pretend he's adjusting the searchlight stand, eh?

Excellent action shot of the 'Refinery Patrol' MSV, saturnapollo.

And I love the desciption of the vehicle as an angry turtle - most apt :D

Mike Delamar

Alphans
I was the one who asked for pics, thanks a bunch Mike.

In fact, I was looking for interior views of the driver compartment, which is not seen at all in the series (I got the complete series this summer, before that I had not seen nothing at all of the series) so... artistic license mode ON!!!! Whoooopeee!

no driver compartment as you say, but some shots of the puppet interior, seats look comfy :)

Mike

Angelo

Alphans
I dug out an old Dinky MSV I have, Waiting restoration, and took some photos
using a turntable for the toy and a tripod for the camera, except for the plan shot.
I hope to be able to draw up some plans using them.