Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Meet the Kestrel…

Howard

Forum Supporter
Thanks Dana. :)

The evolution of the design can now be seen on the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeller website.
There's quite a few of them, including an 'Operation Exodus' vehicle with an extended passenger pod.

There's quite a few of them, including an 'Operation Exodus' vehicle with an extended passenger pod.

….which at first glance just became one of my fave variants! Really impressive :O!

Can’t wait to read the full article and to drool over the photogs….great work Howard! :thumbup:

Jorge 8)

Howard

Forum Supporter
So the issue's been in circulation for a while now, any comments on the model / story idea?

Bigyan65

Alphans
I actually just odered the copy last night and am looking forward to seeing a bit more detail....

Think it looks very cool.....reminds me of one of those "flying tree rat type things".....rat or squirrel type things.....jumps from tree to tree.....I'm gonna stop now cause it even sounds daft to me!

Sooooooooo.........the real question is.........when is the model kit available then??????????

CR

Alphans
Ah, forgot all about this! Thanks for the reminder, Howard. Now MrsCR knows what to get me for the holidays! :santa:

Howard

Forum Supporter
BigYan65 - I don't think there will be a kit of this - not of this version - perhaps a larger scale version which I've yet to build.

CR - Many thanks - and congrats on your well deserved promotion!

Capt Chris D - There's not a development article on the website - for the full 10 page article detailing the build, you'll need to purchase the volume directly from Mike's site, or Forbidden Planet.
Here's a few more pics not seen in the article.

Thanks all!

BigYan65 - I don't think there will be a kit of this - not of this version - perhaps a larger scale version which I've yet to build.

CR - Many thanks - and congrats on your well deserved promotion!

Capt Chris D - There's not a development article on the website - for the full 10 page article detailing the build, you'll need to purchase the volume directly from Mike's site, or Forbidden Planet.
Here's a few more pics not seen in the article.

*snip for space*

Thanks all!

I must have misunderstood what you said then...my bad.

Thanks for the additional pics! I love the design!

_OM_

Alphans
...And since *someone* has to be a party pooper, I'll ask the question I bet you hoped nobody would ask:

Q: Does this contraption fit on the landing pads?

cricket

Alphans
And if it does manage to fit on a pad, will it manage to squeeze down the vertical 'tunnel' to the Eagle bay?

BTW, welcome to the board, _OM_. :W:

Howard

Forum Supporter
...And since *someone* has to be a party pooper, I'll ask the question I bet you hoped nobody would ask:

Q: Does this contraption fit on the landing pads?

We're having a party?
Whose round is it? :D

Here's a picture of an Eagle upon a landing pad:

Here's a picture of an Eagle next to the Kestrel:

As you can see, the Kestrel is not too much wider than an Eagle to prevent it from fitting on a landing pad - or not to travel down to the hangers.
Also, there's sufficient width either side of the doors for the docking tube to connect.

I designed the landing legs so the two doors situated midway were the same height from the ground as a lab pod's.
I used calipers to measure the distance from the ground to the edge of the PE Eagle's door (some would say not the best example to use) to match the height, but they do look great displayed together.
If a docking tube can accomodate the Swift, then I don't think Alpha would have much troube with the Kestrel:

Thanks guys! :)

Stu73

Alphans
That looks great. Original even. Gets away from the framework look.
And besides, anything than can be commented on as 'looking like a flying squirrel' gets my vote :thumbup: