Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Moon Mobile kitparts/details

astrocat

Alphans
hey guys i just spotted a part for the moon mobile this goes on the bottom towards the front its from the scissors bridge anyone else know of any parts a list would be usefull
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee168/steve48442/Picture214.jpg

Hi stingray,

Yes, you're quite right about the Scissors Bridge parts. Here's a pic of some more bits:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/astrocat_photos/MM-UnderBits.jpg

It's not a complete list by any means, but it's the best I've been able to come up with over the years.

Hope it helps :)

paul gray

Forum Supporter
nice bit of kit spotting there astrocat. any idea what bit is infront of the rocket on the roof retail?
cheers Paul

chas b

Alphans
Astrocat,you are the kit-spotting master!
I think the Gemini part should be labelled as 1/24.Also,for those interested make sure you get the Eagle lunar lander.It's details are very different from the other 1/48 kit.

Cheers
Chas

Transporter

Alphans
Looking good, Stingray! But at the same time I see how many different model kits are used to get the perfect moon mobile...Thank you to all the kit spotters. First I want to make that 44 incher...:brows:

astrocat

Alphans
Astrocat,you are the kit-spotting master!
I think the Gemini part should be labelled as 1/24.Also,for those interested make sure you get the Eagle lunar lander.It's details are very different from the other 1/48 kit.

Cheers
Chas

Ah! Quite right Chas - slip of the keyboard (or mind)...... Good job you noticed!
I'll have to correct that.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Its coming along nicely.
One point though, have you made the front windows parallel, straight across, so they just face front? They should be angled backwards with the lower facings angling upwards towards the centre corner - a bit similar to the Eagle setup.

Dr Kane

Alphans
yes it will be weatherd down as silly as it seames with it being in space
It's not silly. Planes on aircraft carriers are dirtier than their land-based counterparts. They have dirty bootprints, paint touch-ups that don't quite match, and minor smears & spills. This is because they're maintained in a confined space, with limited supplies, and little chance of a thorough wash-down. I imagine the bowels of Moonbase are similar to a carrier's hangar deck in many ways.

In any case, the Moonmobiles aren't flying through pristine space - they're 'down & dirty' amongst all that moon dust. I can't imagine the SHADO groundcrew could get all the dirt off. Apart from anything else, I suspect they'd save their water for drinking.

Having said all that, I suppose the 'canonical' reference is how weathered the studio models were!

i did not and its too late for me to do it now darn it how did you get that information i did not see it in any pictures i have can you send me a diagram of the angle for my next one please thanks david for upsetting me lol:cry:

well i guess you cant realy go by the pictures in the book because of the ageing of the models they have yellowed over the years but good point about the maintanance bays on moonbase

Best reference shots for the Moonmobile are in the Japanese 'Pink Book' if you can get hold of a copy. These are shots that were taken while the series was in production so are probably the most accurate you can get.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
i did not and its too late for me to do it now darn it how did you get that information i did not see it in any pictures i have can you send me a diagram of the angle for my next one please thanks david for upsetting me lol:cry:

Sorry about that, just noticed that I haven't mentioned it on my website.
I've made 4 Moon Mobiles, one very small one many years ago and 3 studio-sized more recently, and it was only on the last one that I realised why there was always 'something' wrong looking about the windows and managed to fix it.

The problem with profile photos is that they don't always tell you as much as you think they do. When I finish my models I take pictures of them (as I assume you all do) and I also take profile pictures and then compare them to the original studio profile pictures. They should look the same.
However while the windows on the original model appear as quite large L-shaped areas the ones on my replica's always seemed rather small and Lip-shaped caused by the curvature of the sphere. It finally dawned on me that as the camera is level with the models mid-section the only way that the windows would appear as a clear L-shape was if they were actually angling backwards towards the camera's position.

Once I realised this the other pictures suddenly started to make sense to me.
What confuses you is that on the front angle profile picture there appears to be a straight line across the window bottoms reinforcing your belief that they are parallel, but the angle on the lower panels counter-acts the window angle to create that straight line - its an optical illusion when viewed directly from the front.

Just remembered why I didn't mention it on my site - not a good idea to sell or swap models then announce to the World that they have a fault!! doh:oops: