Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Moon Models and Props

saurus

Chief Eagle Pilot
Hi Guys!

Nice to see you opened a Thread on Moon. Steve Howarth and myself- Bill Pearson, are on the Forum, and we would be only to glad to answer any Questions!
Cheers Bill.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi Bill,

Gavin Rothery is here too, he gave us permission to use his logo to head up the section.

We love Moon, it was a brilliant surprise to find out that physical models were going to be used in it's production. As soon as time allows I want to take a crack at a Sarang Rover. Luckily I was able to visit Phil Rae who owns a number of props including the Return Craft, another favourite design.

The Return Craft:

A few detail shots:

I have always wondered when you decide to build a model for filming how big it needs to be? For instance what dictated the size of the Sarang Moonbase?

I would love to know about the crates used to form some of the buildings, how do you come up with ideas like that?

Do you make all your own decals, is it a complicated process or something that can be attempted at home?

Lastly, what is your favourite kit to bash for detailing parts?

Your work is simply amazing, thank you for the quality entertainment. :thumbup:

Bernie.

McTodd

Alphans
I second what Bernie said, Moon is a superb film and visually magnificent so it's great to see Steve Howarth and Bill Pearson here! Steve's website is fantastic, I originally found it when looking for more info about a superb large model he was making years ago of the Aries 1B from 2001.

saurus

Chief Eagle Pilot
Hi Bernie!

Nice to be on board.
On the question of scale of Moonbase - it was dictated by what we could do in the limited time (and budget available) and space (to shoot on a small stage)
The crates had been in my store for years - I'm a Hoarder ! And I was desperate for a quick solution!
The Decals were made by scanning Gavin's excellent graphics - then printing them on decal waterslide paper (from EMA )
Favourite kit? Most of one I ever bought was the Airfix Space Shuttle (240 off!) on Alien. However,my favourite wiggets are the wedges and butterflies (I'm not telling you anymore info!) from EMA. I try to use them somewhere on every model and prop I make! I'm sure you'll figure them out!

Thanks. Cheers Bill.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi Bill,

I know the bits you are talking about but I'll stay quiet and see if anyone else can guess ;)

Paint work is my downfall, getting that scale looking finish and dirtying down a model I find really difficult. What advise could you give to someone to create that interesting and convincing finish, is there a simple technique that I could practise to improve the surface detail and add interest to large areas of base colour?

I have a question for Steve Howarth if he has a minute to answer please?

I have used MDF for all sorts of tasks over the years and noticed on your excellent website that you used it in the Rovers construction.

The surface is easy to fill and it has no real grain but it is quite soft and easily damaged. Do you prepare the surfaces that will be final painted in any special way?

Top level industrial model making

Detail and paint weathering:

Gavin Rothery produced a number of key designs that set the technological tone carried throughout the movie, those designs were brought to life by Bill, Steve and the team with great execution and gusto. The use of physical models was thought to be a dying art form, thank goodness this movie has proved that is not the case and is in fact one of the strongest elements of the movie.

saurus

Chief Eagle Pilot
Hi Bernie!

Thanks for the kind words. Steve's in France right now - but said he'd be in touch.

I'm up to my neck in miniatures for Red Dwarf .So it should be an interesting year!

Cheers Bill.

Alex Dumas

Alphans
Cannot agree more! You guys did an incredible job. The movie was excellent considered the budget. It was refreshing (from this CGI world) to see incredibly realistic effects and very well thought out designs. Congratulations!

If I may, I would really like to see some more behind the scene stuff, specially from the moonbase...

healvis

Alphans
Bill, I'll let Bernie and the other lads ask the technical questions.
What's your favourite record?
John.

Transporter

Alphans
Hi Bill. Thanks for the great models you did for "Moon". Suddenly the "2001 feeling" came back. Especially the Return craft and the Rovers (... I am a vehicle guy :)) captured my attention. What did you use for the main hull of the Return craft? Or could you at least give us a hint? Thanks. Ron

saurus

Chief Eagle Pilot
Hi Guys,

The Return Craft hull was 'something I had sculpted earlier' in Hi Density Polyurethane, and vac-formed 3 times in ABS - for an ill fated project - 'Dogstar'
For more on the Moobase, maybe Bernie could post a permanent link to Steve's Website on this Forum - as it's the best source!
Favourite Record? Too many to choose from ( I was a Mobile and Hospital Radio DJ for over 20 years) Favourite in the Workshop - Soul / Jazz Funk!

Cheers Bill.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi Guys,

The Return Craft hull was 'something I had sculpted earlier' in Hi Density Polyurethane, and vac-formed 3 times in ABS - for an ill fated project - 'Dogstar'
For more on the Moobase, maybe Bernie could post a permanent link to Steve's Website on this Forum - as it's the best source!
Favourite Record? Too many to choose from ( I was a Mobile and Hospital Radio DJ for over 20 years) Favourite in the Workshop - Soul / Jazz Funk!

Cheers Bill.

Hi Bill,

I will add links to a signature line for your log in and place direct links to both yours and Steve's websites? I'll change it later today, if you are not happy for any reason let me know and I'll remove them.

Bernie.

MADsen

Alphans
Hi.. Bill...:thumbup:

I have also seen Moon, great movie... and I total agree with Alex Dumas on what he wrote..

it´s nice to see true craftsmanship in a movie :thumbup: :clap:, instead of CGI..

Sorry but I´m old school, I think it´s more cool to watch a movie knowing that there have been used real models in the production instead of CGI...

Hopefully we´ll see more hand crafted models in movie production in the future, if any one dare´s to use models instead of CGI..

futureboy

Alphans
Dirty Dog!

Hi All, thanks for the positive feedback. Glad you guys enjoyed MOON. In answer to Captain Sc-Fi's question: It wasnt MDF that was used (did I say that? - I'm sure I said Foamex).....as Bill said, the best thing to do is peruse my website (its in dire need of an update, but all the MOON stuff is there) The construction of the (small) Rovers is covered in detail, although I may not have gone into the weathering or 'dirtying down' of them technique wise. Nothing as subtle as 'washes' was needed, nor was there the time, which was just as well, because the method of choice was still the way to go IMHO. This was a technique I employed way back on Space Precinct - another breakneck production that forced such a startling way of doing this.
When you spray mount black and brown powder-paint onto a satin suface, it looks shocking, but you can cover the whole thing very quickly. Then with lighter fluid you can start to clean it all off again, leaving the dirt behind where you want it to stay (I guess thats the creative bit) it usually stays behind in corners and recesses anyway, where its been forced into with a brush (I dont cover the whole thing with powder), but then a little dabbing with lighter fluid and a piece of kitchen roll on the bodywork where you think it might collect a little. Over the top, as usual for the cameras, bearing in mind that the rovers had been out for AT LEAST three years and if you saw how much dust was stuck to NASA gear after only a few hours, then it wouldnt look wrong. it looks harsh in stills, but looks right on the screen and thats what we needed. A coat of Matt laquer over the top to kill the glossy patches revealed by the cleaning. I weathered ALL three small Rovers, wheels too and the Big one (for continuity) (well, the base and the wheels) in one evening. Plus, something Bill said always helps. "the more you think about something like that, the more contrived it can look" Hurrying didnt allow me a lot of time to labour over where every little speck of dirt was going, plus, I wanted some randomness. Its very messy and its easy to end up looking like a coal miner. Sorry If the syntax is bad here, its because I'm pooped...working on RED DWARF will Bill at the moment.
Hi Bill,

I know the bits you are talking about but I'll stay quiet and see if anyone else can guess ;)

Paint work is my downfall, getting that scale looking finish and dirtying down a model I find really difficult. What advise could you give to someone to create that interesting and convincing finish, is there a simple technique that I could practise to improve the surface detail and add interest to large areas of base colour?

I have a question for Steve Howarth if he has a minute to answer please?

I have used MDF for all sorts of tasks over the years and noticed on your excellent website that you used it in the Rovers construction.

The surface is easy to fill and it has no real grain but it is quite soft and easily damaged. Do you prepare the surfaces that will be final painted in any special way?

Top level industrial model making

Detail and paint weathering:

Gavin Rothery produced a number of key designs that set the technological tone carried throughout the movie, those designs were brought to life by Bill, Steve and the team with great execution and gusto. The use of physical models was thought to be a dying art form, thank goodness this movie has proved that is not the case and is in fact one of the strongest elements of the movie.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Welcome back Steve,

Thanks for the insights to dirtying down production models, it certainly makes sense that the whole procedure will be different but I love the look of these things as they are. There are many clever ideas in their construction (the David Tennant figure was a nice touch)

Looking forward to seeing your work on Red Dwarf. :D

Foamex is the sign making material right? I have never actually used this as a basis for model making however Bill has me looking at bottle crates with new eyes so anything is possible :D

Bernie.

Big Rab

Forum Supporter
I have been using Forex, Foamex, Foamalux and Foamalux Ultra for some time now and it is great to work with. East to cut, heat shape, sand, fill and glue . . . light weight too. Here are just some of the things I have made with it.
(I would not use the Alcan Forex classic again - - - - as it is just not as good at the rest, I do prefer Foamalux ultra now)

Mobile cab
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Joe 90
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

RAMCAT
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Lab pod
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:

Big Rab

Forum Supporter
I just use superglue (or any epoxy) and so far so good. I don't my models would bounce to high if dropped from any great height, , , , but for a static display "so far so good"

Sometimes I use thin superglue and sometimes thick "slow Zap" if I have to muck around a bit with it (yes, then I have to sand out my finger prints from the model) :)

If you visit some of the sign makers workshops, you can usually pick up some off cuts of Foam*** for nothing (or next to nothing) but if you are going to be using a lot of it, it would be worth while buying a full 8 x 4 sheet.

saurus

Chief Eagle Pilot
Hi Guys!
Just a few lines to say- there is a screening of Moon- at the Mellinium Point Cinema in Birmingham on Wed.6th November. Lots of guests- including Steve, Gavin, and myself.Hope some true believers in the film can drop in!
PS- My Portfolio site is having problems. Better bet is on the Internet. Just type- city of glasgow college bill pearson.
All the Best, Bill.