Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Moonbase Alpha

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
i just want to say that i want us all to enjoy alpha , i may be the guy that has it but its for everyone , as soon as its done i would like to arrange a meet , open to anyone from the site.

You got it mate, I will arrange a time and place to suit, lets go model crazy :D
You'll owe me a pint or two by then....

We were planning a forum model show next year anyway, we have a bunch of stuff to exhibit plus whatever anyone else wants to bring along.

I'll contact the required people and we'll make this happen eh? Should be a blast. :wtf:

Anyone else??

Cap'n

alfalfa

Alphans
Sorry But...

As I've said to Jim my preference would be for b and c.

Alpha is what she is after all these years, and the old girl is looking pretty good.

I would just stabilise what is left and give it a sympathetic base with a travel tube and launch pad or two in a completely different colour to give sense of the original layout.

This would achieve two good things, the original would be preserved untouched and a full restoration might an unmanagable size to transport and display.

Any missing parts should also be in a different colour and attached with double sided tape or similar so that it could be returned to its original state.
I believe that that is what modern archiologists would do.

Otherwise it will be a replica using the some of the original.

My suggestion would also be quicker as reproducing all of the original model using the correct kit parts and multiple launch pads would take a very long time to do properly.

scatta

Alphans
No alfalfa, a full retoration is deserved - David Sissons did an amazing job with Eagle 1 - the old bird is completely hidden from view under a fresh coat of paint - and even that doesnt take away the authenticity or value of the craft. "Let Alpha live again in the way she was designed"!

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Full images....

Hi Guys,

Here are the last batch of images I am sharing before work commences. Anyone recognise the triple action razor blade?

The well you see here is part of the 1:24th Scale Revell Gemini kit

The raised plating work is just superb in places....

.... in stark contrast to other areas of the model where this is almost absent. Labels are the order of the day and plenty of them..

Some parts are perfect and need no work whatever....
There is no work required on some parts of the model, most of it needs a clean to remove any "undesirable guests" 50% of the whole model needs nothing more than a good brush down to remove storage dust. Some parts will need to be cleaned of detritus. The smaller cleaner parts tell the real story, just a basic white undercoat.

Notice the lack of shading or drawn details they would be lost when the harsh low level lighting cast it's long shadows....

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Alpha is what she is after all these years, and the old girl is looking pretty good. My suggestion would also be quicker as reproducing all of the original model using the correct kit parts and multiple launch pads would take a very long time to do properly.

Are you really suggesting I lash this up to save time Peter? I think not, time is not the issue, returning this model to it's former glory is always the primary goal.

My previous posts should tell you I am doing this work as sympathetically as possible, I would NEVER rush job this work, money be damned as long as it takes from my own pocket if need be, I don't care. Time is not the issue, getting it right is paramount always and I will get it right, have 100% confidence it that.

Clear enough?

Cap'n.

Tim Smith

Alphans
I'm for restoration, and would suggest that careful record be made of the original structures, so as to be able to let future viewers of the model be able to see what was actually on the show. Maybe some sort of simple signage could accomplish this. In the mean time, post what parts you are looking for, and I'm sure all of us could contribute. I've got a number of boxes of parts just waiting to be used. It would thrill me to know I got to contribute to this fantastic model for my favorite show. (Would be nice if I could ever get to the UK and see it in person as well!)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Alpha to Omega....

I'm for restoration, and would suggest that careful record be made of the original structures, so as to be able to let future viewers of the model be able to see what was actually on the show. Maybe some sort of simple signage could accomplish this. In the mean time, post what parts you are looking for, and I'm sure all of us could contribute. I've got a number of boxes of parts just waiting to be used. It would thrill me to know I got to contribute to this fantastic model for my favorite show. (Would be nice if I could ever get to the UK and see it in person as well!)

Hi Tim,

I have over 1000 photos of every surface of the model prior to me starting any work, Everyone will get a chance to have these images and a new batch when the model is completed. I have also passed copies to the other website owners so they can publish on their sites. I am sure Martin Willey will archive on the Catacombes web pages. I did this weeks ago as this site is part of a wider community and sharing is fundamental to the community survival.

I will be making these images available as a Digipak download the proceeds will go to producing the next digipak. We are a global website, I know a lot of people will never be lucky enough to visit this country and see this model in person, so the Digipak's are really important. I am putting as much effort into them as I am with the restoration work. I really am trying to create the feel of looking over my shoulder with the work in progress shots so you don't miss anything.

I will be publishing a complete thread to add to the models history describing the work as it progresses with lots of photographs. I hope you'll be happy with that but by all means let me know if you want to see something specific or ask questions about any technique as the thread develops.

Share, share, share - it's the name of the game.

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Kit details and contributions....

In the mean time, post what parts you are looking for, and I'm sure all of us could contribute. I've got a number of boxes of parts just waiting to be used. It would thrill me to know I got to contribute to this fantastic model for my favorite show....

Now that is a really good idea. As Tim suggested if anyone has spares of these parts (no recast resin details please) and wants to contribute send me a PM and I will let you have my postal address. It's a great idea and I wish I had thought of it - thanks Tim :thumbup:

Obviously if you contribute any model kit parts I can't return them if not used so please, only send what you want to give away freely, I will use from this box o' bits first if it has what's needed.

Here is a list of the kits used so far with the parts I am sourcing to use in the restoration:

Revell 1:24th Gemini - There are many small domes in this kit, several kits worth were used on the model, some are lost, some are broken. I need as many spares of those as I can get. The cylindrical tank halves are another part I need at least one pair. I also need a spare heat shield dome. I need one louvre wedge part as used on the "nose" of the Shado Mobile.

Airfix Saturn V - second stage engine bells one pair

Revell 1:96th Apollo Saturn V - Service Module attitude thruster bells 6 needed.

Airfix Lunar Module - No spares needed
Airfix HO/OO Sherman tank - assorted wheels needed
Airfix HO/OO Sheridan Tank - no spares needed

There is a slew of Ema / Plastruct parts I am including details for reference only and have just had the replacement parts that are needed delivered. I will complete this list as I progress the refurbishment / cleaning.

KW12 Column Wedge - only found one so far in the large round well. I am sure this was added as a nod to other Anderson models. :D

HRS-2P Hand rail 1:200 scale
HRS-4P Hand rail 1:100 scale
SRS-2P Stair Rail 1:200 scale
SRS-4P Stair Rail 1:100 scale

FPH-12 Square ABS tube used for the travel tubes, covered in labels of various sizes.

There are an assortment of shallow channel profiles I haven't finished cataloguing them as yet, there are a lot....

The vertical faces are covered in strip styrene material, white colour, varying in thickness from 0.5 mm to 0.8 mm, so far I haven't found anything thicker than that. It has been doubled and occasionally tripled up giving a uniform look to every part of the model and tying all the structures together. There is a rank and file regimented look to these areas, this was a genius design element, hats off to you Brian Johnson. :thumbup:

On the horizontal faces the panel thickness ranges from paper label to 1.0 mm strip. I am still cataloguing the dimensions but it is perfectly possible they used a lot of strip stock straight from the packet and just cut to varying lengths to save time. The artistry of the surface detailing is amazing, the guys who worked this up are true artisans, there are many hours of skilled work on every surface of this model.

Cap'n

Option B and C for me. To display as the model as it is today, if you want it to look as it was in 1973, why not make a whole new replica one?

Last edited:

simmo

Alphans
Hi Jim, I think taking enough time to decide which avenue to take, might be a good idea, taking all the help and advise I could get on board,before making a final decision for such an important piece that alpha is really, I think option b or c for me. good luck with what you decide.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
No alfalfa, a full retoration is deserved - David Sissons did an amazing job with Eagle 1 - the old bird is completely hidden from view under a fresh coat of paint - and even that doesnt take away the authenticity or value of the craft. "Let Alpha live again in the way she was designed"!

Thanks, glad you liked the restoration job - but to be precise it was completely hidden under a fresh coat of paint sometime in the 1970s after the show had ended, then had more new paint added in the 80s (apart from on the four landing legs/pads which have never been changed since it was filmed).

So it had a completely inaccurate and poor finish during it's displays in the late 70s, 1980s & 1990s until I stripped it down in 2002. Now it does actually look similar to its screen appearance and also shows about 20 areas of original paint/detail which I uncovered.

healvis

Alphans
I can help you out with these parts.

Airfix Saturn V - second stage engine bells one pair Do you mean 4 half sections from the 144/1?

Revell 1:96th Apollo Saturn V - Service Module attitude thruster bells 6 needed. Are they the same on the Columbia/eagle 1/96 kit? If so I can send the 4 thrusters that come with the kit.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
I can help you out with these parts.

Airfix Saturn V - second stage engine bells one pair Do you mean 4 half sections from the 144/1?

2 half sections as a pair - left and right hand to make one complete bell please

Revell 1:96th Apollo Saturn V - Service Module attitude thruster bells 6 needed. Are they the same on the Columbia/eagle 1/96 kit? If so I can send the 4 thrusters that come with the kit.

That's the very ones, if you can spare them I would be grateful.

PM sent - thank you. :D

Cap'n

Eagle12

Alphans
This is such a great project and I would love to be a part of it... I have an extra Revell 1:24th Gemini kit, still sealed in it's plastic. PM me with info on where you would like to have it shipped. Can't wait to see the thread on the re-build and all those images... I've always wanted to see the base up close. Hopefully in person when it's done...

Steven

JD

Alphans
I also appreciate the chance to contribute some bits and know they were on THE Moonbase Alpha!

I think I've got a Sherman at home (I'm out of the country at the moment). How many wheels do you need?

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi JD,

The model has all those parts intact and I have a few spare kits to hand if needed. Very much appreciate the offer though.

Apart from replacing missing parts as noted there really isn't that much to be done, a little cleaning to remove some foxing, some stabilisation of loose panels and a little damage repair and that is pretty much all there is to it.

The bulk of the work is in the base and recreation of the launch pads.

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
As far as I know the original vac forms of the landing pads were destroyed, one or two during the attempt to remove them from the baseboard, the rest went out with the trash still on the board. It was obvious that any attempt to remove them was pointless.

Please remember the context of this, Phil Rae had a phone call to advise the situation with no notice, he had tough decisions to make and very little time to do it. It the case of Alpha and other items he had just less than a day to remove and store a lot of items. Included in that time was hiring a van and he battled all day to stay ahead of the scrap man, thank god for the most part he won....

He couldn't get a transport big enough to move the model on it's 12 foot by 12 foot baseboard, removing the model parts from the board must have been a really difficult decision to make under that much time pressure. I have a healthy respect and a great deal of gratitude for his efforts.

So if Jim wants them made they will need to be scratch built.

Cap'n

NeoGoglu

Alphans
Please remember the context of this, Phil Rae had a phone call to advise the situation with no notice, he had tough decisions to make and very little time to do it. It the case of Alpha and other items he had just less than a day to remove and store a lot of items. Included in that time was hiring a van and he battled all day to stay ahead of the scrap man, thank god for the most part he won....
Cap'n

Oh don't worry, i know the story and i understand every part of it.

I have lived similar situations in my life.

So you need to determine the exact measurements ?