Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Moonbase Alpha

CR

Alphans
For what it's worth, my opinion is to stabilise damaged parts, replace what's needed and have Alpha restored to it full glory. I must admit that the 'archaeologist method' mentioned earlier is intriguing, to show what was replaced and what was original, but I think in the case of this model, it may end up detracting from the overall look. Plus, if the same care is taken as had been on the Eagle 1 restoration, I think Alpha will be better off being fully restored (including colour). Just sayin'.

I may have some Gemini parts to donate. By the way, speaking of Gemini, were any of the smaller (1/48 scale) Gemini kits used on the original Alpha? Based on the photos posted so far, it doesn't look like it, but I just thought I'd ask...

alfalfa

Alphans
CR if you are refering to the post I made, I think the different colour, it could be slight would be an opportunity for the restorer to display their skills whilst blending in with the cleaned up original.

Matching the original colour that has been aged and baked under the harsh lighting at the Blackpool exhibition would be quite difficult (I possibly incorrectly) assume.

w8cmp

Alphans
With the correct cleaning methods, there is no reason why it could not be restored to its original colour, and any new replacement parts matched in with this with careful colour mixing and application.

Having seen what has been achieved by another member here on another 1999 original model at the weekend, I now believe that anything is possible with the right sympathetic techniques.

I liken this to a portrait by a master painter, worth millions, which has dirtied with age. You need to clean each square centimetre of it carefully and meticulously using only the correct methods, or risk damaging it irreparably...

A major task and major responsibility !

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
More on Alpha....

Another update time....

Another kit needs to be added to the list used on the model, Building 10 has some parts from the Airfix 1:72 Tiger 1 Tank as shown here:

The last few days have been a test of my CAD skill with many problems to solve, but I am making good progress so far and haven't lost my sense of humour...

More tomorrow...

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Kit parts, usual subjects....

Hi Jim,

Thanks mate, I'll burn the images to a DVD so you can add them to the models history. Between us all we should be able to identify every part used. I can see the human touches here and there, it is really interesting comparing one model makers style to an others.

The very good news is by the looks so far all the kits that made this model are still available. I say this cautiously because not everything has been identified as yet.

More later...

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
More kit spotting....

I would say that the demand for Airfix 1:72 scale Panther tanks is about to go up....

Another 10 down 500 to go. :D

Cap'n

VTracy

Alphans
You guys continually astound me. Thank god the original Alpha is in such good hands:thumbup:

I'm a huge fan of the show, but I pale in comparison to so much of the dedication shown on this site. It's like the difference between being a fan of Jeopardy compared to being the Jeopardy champion.

I salute you:notworthy:

Keep up the great work, I'll be watching from afar.

Keep the pics coming. I'm sure many more are watching.

Thanks again!

Tim Smith

Alphans
Another update time....

Another kit needs to be added to the list used on the model, Building 10 has some parts from the Airfix 1:72 Panther Tank as shown here:

The last few days have been a test of my CAD skill with many problems to solve, but I am making good progress so far and haven't lost my sense of humour...

More tomorrow...

Cap'n

I love the last shot! Why didn't we do that? We put Tracy Island in ours....

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Thanks for the support....

Guys,

I am so grateful for the support, this is intense work and I am so glad that it's being enjoyed by others. I will be publishing my work but it will take me several months to complete everything, I am photographing down to the rivets

I really want to do justice to the chaps who actually built this thing so first thing on Monday I will contact Space Models and see if I can't research and discover anything there. It's a very long shot but I was going to contact them as my next port of call anyway.

The skill and talent these artisans had is amazing, I would love to talk to someone who actually worked on this model or has any recollection of it being made first hand. It would close the full circle wouldn't it? :D

After the Eagles this is my holy grail model, I want to do the very best I can to record every detail, I am very grateful to Jim for giving me the chance to record this unique model in all it's glory.

Cap'n

w8cmp

Alphans
I have a feeling you'll need at least one of these too...

Confirmed as 1:96 Revell Apollo CSM / LM kit - front end of SM part.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 51

astrocat

Alphans
I would say that the demand for Airfix 1:72 scale Tiger 1 tanks is about to go up....

Another 10 down 500 to go. :D

Cap'n

Er, Panther parts in a Tiger I box?...... curious......

By the way, you might want to add the Airfix Mk.1 tank to the list (the small rectangular plate with lots of holes in it next to the 'Interceptor silo').

Keith

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Do not put this Tiger in your Tank....

Hi Keith,

You are probably not going to believe this....

I want to tell you the story of two kits actually about their box lids. Yep it's a classic, swop the lids around and you have a Tiger in a Leopard Box and vice versa. I will correct this mistake with a re-shoot tomorrow. Yet more proof that Keith earned his title as the King of Plastic. :D

Cap'n

scatta

Alphans
I really want to do justice to the chaps who actually built this thing so first thing on Monday I will contact Space Models and see if I can't research and discover anything there

According to Martin Bower in Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models, Moonbase Alpha was built at Bray Studios by Cyril Forster, Ron Burton and Terry Reed. Space Models may be a dead end, but do ask about other 1999 models when you make the call (construction photos would be nice if they shot any!)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Another one bites the dust....

I have a feeling you'll need at least one of these too...

Confirmed as 1:96 Revell Apollo CSM / LM kit - front end of SM part.

Well spotted that man.... :D

Either of these should do it, the Columbia & Eagle set is cheapest usually.

More Revell Gemini parts, this time a heat shield, I have counted at least 4 so far:

There is also a healthy sprinkling of Airfix 1/72nd Superfortress

....and SRN4 Hovercraft bits.

Thanks to the Forum Researchers team for their help. :thumbup:

Cap'n

w8cmp

Alphans
There are some SR.N4 Hovercraft cabin external sidewall parts & doors in the two images above...I was working on the real thing this last weekend !