Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Moonbase Alpha

scatta

Alphans
Can you remember which issue?

I have it scanned on my computer but can't recall which issue - it's the 2 part Bower article from '96 discussing Space:1999 models in general.

About Alpha it reads:
When they [Eagles] arrived at the studios they ,were
not "dirtied down" but were finished in
matt white primer. Cyril Forster, Ron
Burton and Terry Reed were the three
technicians working mostly with the models
at the studios. They did the dirtying down
processes, added the panel lines and also
built Alpha Moonbase. This was constructed
in perspex and wood and covered with
plasticard and literally thousands of
"Butterfly Brand" paper sticky labels to
represent the slab construction of the base.
They also built many large sections of
Alpha in approximately 1/24th scale, loads
of support gantries for the Eagle hangars,
the various scales of Eagle launch pads and
of course all the landscapes for the Moon
and the various planets visited by the
Alphans.
The Moonscapes around Alpha were
created in Plaster of Paris. This was poured
around the completed model after all the
buildings had been stuck in position, with
the craters being made by flicking water into
the plaster as it dried. (I show this technique
in my Modelling Techniques video Vol 2
quite extensively). The baseboard for Alpha
was some 24 feet square and weighed a ton!
When it was not in use it was hauled on chains
up into the studio roof out of the way!

CR

Alphans
Regarding that part from the 1/96 scale Apollo Service Module (and Saturn V), I believe a similar part exists in the Revell Apollo-Soyuz Rendezvous in Space model kit. The heat sheild for the capsule is also present. (Perhaps the same molds were used for the Apollo portion of the kit?) I know that kit was released after Alpha was constructed, but I just thought it presented another option for parts. :)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Alpha kits used....

Hi Guys,

I managed to get an original red stripe Airfix Lee Grant 00 scale kit with the same wheel assemblies as the Sherman. The reason I mention this is the other parts from the Lee/Grant are covered in rivet details and I have seen something very similar elsewhere on Alpha. Keep an open mind as to which kit was used, it still could be either Airfix Mk. 1 Sherman (kit 01303-9) or the Airfix Lee /Grant (kit 01317-8 ), I'll add photos later.

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Apollo Service module parts....

Regarding that part from the 1/96 scale Apollo Service Module (and Saturn V), I believe a similar part exists in the Revell Apollo-Soyuz Rendezvous in Space model kit. The heat sheild for the capsule is also present. (Perhaps the same molds were used for the Apollo portion of the kit?) I know that kit was released after Alpha was constructed, but I just thought it presented another option for parts. :)

I think you are absolutely right CR. Looking at how they packaged this part of the kit it looks like it could be put in several other kits. Clever marketing and a boon for kit collectors as we have several choices.

Cap'n

CR

Alphans
Apologies once again for my camera-to-computer issues preventing me from just photographing this stuff, but here's some more...

I've also spotted a bit from the Airfix 1/76 scale World War I MkI Tank (currently marketed/repackaged as the WWI Male Tank). I only noticed it because I recently assembled said kit, and thought the pattern looked familiar. It's part #38, a trapezoidal-shaped piece with lots of tiny holes drilled out.

By the way, might some Revell 1/24 scale Vostok kit parts be on Alpha? I believe the Voyager 1 had a few bits from that kit (namely, what appears to be the ring of spherical oxygen-nitrogen bottles, made from parts 12 & 13), so it might be reasonable to assume that some parts ended up on Alpha, too. I have the 1998 re-release of that kit, but the display stand therein (part #39) is still stamped with the original 1969 copyright.

I'd love to see the Alpha buildings up close, or at least some more overall shots of them, to help ID more parts! This is fun!!

CR

Alphans
Here's the WWI tank part, in one of Captain Sci-Fi's pics!
Captain Sci-Fi said:
You can see the part just below the Interceptor's forward landing strut, along the edge of the large circular depression he's using as a lift shaft in this pic. (LOL, by the way, on your creativity!)

Going back through this thread, I see the part shows up better here:
Captain Sci-Fi said:
The well you see here is part of the 1:24th Scale Revell Gemini kit
It's on the left side of this photo. It's the almost-rectangular trapezoid with little black 'dots' on it, above the relatively triangular piece... the 'dots' are actually holes that go all the way through the part.

Last edited:

CR

Alphans
By the way, tons of 1/24 Revell Gemini parts appear on that particular building... in this shot, just above the 'superb' plating work on the building rooftop, appear four identical pieces in a row... above them in this pic are a trio of Gemini half-spheres (piece 25), and they are between the Tiger wheels and the circular 'well' at the pic's right side. I believe these four-in-a-row parts are multiples of part #18 ('electronics adaptor'). Their shape shows up better in other pics, including publicity stills, but I think I've done enough 'cut and paste' of Captain Sci-Fi's pics today!
Captain Sci-Fi said:
The raised plating work is just superb in places....
EDITED TO ADD: OK, I guess it's patently obvious to anyone who has the Gemini kit handy that those are indeed Gemini parts. I considered deleting this post as a result. On the other hand, I though it might be useful information for those not fortunate enough to have that kit.

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
We love Gemini....

Hi CR,

I don't mind if you copy and paste pictures so long as it's here. :D

Join in, have fun it's the name of the game....

You are absolutely correct, here are a few more piccies to illustrate the point:

A lot of these parts will be familiar to 44" Eagle builders:
Build an Eagle or build a Moonbase, build and Eagle, build a moonbase. :eek:no:

There's plenty more but I have a deadline to meet so I'll post more later....

Cap'n

CR

Alphans
Deadline? What, this Alpha restoration project hasn't got priority? What's that about, then?!
( :lol: ;) )

Thanks, those are perfect illustrations of which parts go where! That might be a great way to go building-by-building, not just with Gemini parts, but with others, too. (Speaking of Gemini parts, I know another appears rather obviously on one of the longer skinny buildings... it's a triangle with holes, part #52, a 'support gusset.' It shows up rather nicely in that famous pic of Brian Johnson holding the Moon Buggy & Meta Probe while standing in front of Alpha.)

As for Eagle/Alpha crossovers, I've a quick addendum to my earlier note about the 1/96 scale Revell Apollo-Soyuz link-up model kit: in addition to the Apollo service module parts it contains, it also has two seated figures--one astronaut & one cosmonaut. Though not over-detailed, they're great for modification as Eagle pilots in the PE12 range. (In fact, a long time ago, I traded a couple of them to another forum member for just that purpose.)

(And fear not, I'll only copy & paste your pics into this thread if & when it's relevant, with credit/quote info to you, of course!)

CR

Alphans
Speaking of that photo of Brian Johnson, I wonder if anyone could confirm another Revell 1/96 scale Apollo service module part...

In that pic, just above and to the right of Johnson's head are a couple smaller wedge-shaped buildings jutting out from under the Main Mission tower. On one of those, two 1/24 Gemini parts apear side-by-side... they are half-cylinders that make up the Gemini 'battery housing,' either parts #41 or 42, or one of each. A bit to the right of those is a circular part that appears to have some relief to it. I think that might be the bottom of the Revell 1/96 Apollo service module; the middle of the circle is where the engine bell would insert, though it's entirely possible that some other part has been inserted there on the Alpha model.

Finally, a 'heads up' for kit spotters to watch for. Although I don't have time to figure out exactly where it appeared, I think there's a part from inside an Apollo capsule somewhere; it's the three side-by-side seats for the Apollo astronauts, and the seats may be on a disc-shaped backing. (It's either 1/96 or 1/144 scale, but I don't remember offhand just how big it was in relation to other pieces.) EDITED TO ADD: I just found it in that pic of Brian Johnson... it's just to the right of Johnson's lapel (about midway between his chin & his hand), and I'd say it's the 1/96 scale piece.

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
We love Brian Johnson....

Hi CR,

Do you mean this and this?

Yes, 1:96th Revell Columbia Seats and bulkhead, there are parts of this kit all over the place, tastefully used of course. :D

In fact all three bulkheads are visible in the BJ image:

• One just at the main mission shadows edge roughly 10 o'clock (aft service module for it's primary engine bell).
  • One at roughly 2 o'clock position similar distance.
  • One you already spotted near the breast pocket of the rather fetching 1970's velvet jacket (with the seats)

Cap'n

CR

Alphans
Hi CR,

Do you mean this and this?
[SNIP... see photos in Capt Sci-Fi's original post!]
Yes, 1:96th Revell Columbia Seats and bulkhead, there are parts of this kit all over the place, tastefully used of course. :D
YEP! That's what I mean!

Captain Sci-Fi said:
In fact all three bulkheads are visible in the BJ image:

[*]One just at the main mission shadows edge roughly 10 o'clock (aft service module for it's primary engine bell).
THAT's the other one I mentioned though your description of its location was much more succinct! Glad it turns out I was correct on the ID, though; THANKS! By the way, IS there another part inserted into the middle of that one?

Captain Sci-Fi said:
[*]One at roughly 2 o'clock position similar distance.
The one confirmed by others earlier... cool.

Captain Sci-Fi said:
[*]One you already spotted near the breast pocket of the rather fetching 1970's velvet jacket.
Hey, that jacket's going to be making a comeback any day now. Or has it already? That whole Austin Powers trilogy really messed things up a few years ago... I no longer know what's coming or going! :wtf:

Anyway, many thanks for pointing all this out!

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Evidence

Hi Guys,

This model is still full of surprises, look at this:

I marked the place with a sign, it's a fingerprint impression from one of the original model makers who worked on the model - how cool is that? :D

I think the person put their finger in wet glue on the soft plastic surface either trying to persuade a panel into place or possibly into wet paint either way it's unmistakable. A little more history of this amazing miniature.

Cap'n

TerraForm1

Alphans
Cap'n
Am I right in thinking that your yellow and green marker swatches correspond to repeating panel details on the side walls?

I second EddieL's comment above:
Best. Thread. Ever.

Eagle12

Alphans
Best. Thread. Ever. :thumbup:

3rd

I marked the place with a sign, it's a fingerprint impression from one of the original model makers who worked on the model - how cool is that?

Now you can track down an original builder... if you were in the US the Homeland Security (grhh) could be all over that... :cop:

CR

Alphans
Cap'n
Am I right in thinking that your yellow and green marker swatches correspond to repeating panel details on the side walls?
Ooo, I know the answer to that! With all due respect to the Cap'n, whose idea it is...
In a manner of speaking, they do, but more specifically, they actually correspond to layers of relief on the model... the base is one colour, the first layer of panels atop that is another colour, the second layer is a third colour and so on. Details here on this thread: http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40461&page=3 (post #44)

Last edited:

CR

Alphans
By the way, that fingerprint... this is getting more and more like an archeaological dig after all. Think about those old cave paintings, where the artists blew colour around their own hands, leaving an impression of their hand. Aside from the paintings they created, these 'handprints' are a more direct trace of an individual across thousands of years. (Or in Alpha's case, a few decades.) Interesting thought...