Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Moonbase Alpha

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
ETF NCIS CSI....

I am sure this print was left accidentally which make it all the more charming in my view.

Hi Terraform,

Yes, the differing colours represent layering information. I am following Bill Pearson's keep it simple method. :D

Alpha is actually difficult to photograph. It can wash out in a mess of over exposure easily so I have to take a lot of photographs to get good shots. When I pull them into the CAD program I use, it really helps to have a strong reminder of at least this information.

Some of the layer information is very subtle, remember those year planner labels, the model is covered with them so far four different sizes and three different shapes.

I think I have found my first area of damage repair. Building 11 has a buckled detail plate and some newer panels as replacements. It looks like it got hot at some time.

More later.

Gibbs.

Steve Zodiac

Alphans

Is there a larger scale version of this required anywhere on the model?

This is not 1/72 scale but is about 90 x 175mm. I have had this some time, it came to me with the Space Police monorail train but was not the right piece for the hole it was covering in the roof. It looks about the same colour as the Alpha bits, but it's a lot cleaner. If it's a part of Alpha it could have been picked up as it passed through various collectors hands, or someone just made it for the train.

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Interesting train of thought....

Is there a larger scale version of this required anywhere on the model?

This is not 1/72 scale but is about 90 x 175mm. I have had this some time, it came to me with the Space Police monorail train but was not the right piece for the hole it was covering in the roof. It looks about the same colour as the Alpha bits, but it's a lot cleaner. If it's a part of Alpha it could have been picked up as it passed through various collectors hands, or someone just made it for the train.

Hi Steve,

Pretty much all the Airfix stuff is 1:72 with the exception of the SRN4 which is 1:144 I believe. There are a couple of parts to be ID'd as yet I will list them next week. Alpha is not missing any large sections of kit details, the worse seems to be the panel on the roof of Main Mission, but even that is pretty straight forward to replace.

Thank you for the thought.

Is there any chance of a few photos of the Precinct stuff you mentioned? I would love to see the Monorail model. Start a thread and lets explore.....

Cap'n

Alpha149

Forum Supporter
Hi Bernie,

Would you be able to throw the micrometer on those Panther wheel parts for me? I have 2 of these Airfix kits in 1/76 scale. I know the parts on the studio model are 1/72, but when I go to build my own from the plans you are drawing up I want to know if the difference is only 1/2 a mm or so. The 1/76 parts on my kit come in at 11.20 mm. The kits seem identical in parts with the exception of the scale size.

Thanks,

Evan

Another update time....

Another kit needs to be added to the list used on the model, Building 10 has some parts from the Airfix 1:72 Tiger 1 Tank as shown here:

Alphans
They must be the same kit. Why would Airfix produce expensive tooling for two slightly different scales of the same subject? The scale on the box must be wrong.

Elric

Alphans
They are the same Panther kit and it/they is/are 1/76 scale despite what the box might say!

Last edited:

Alpha149

Forum Supporter
Thanks. The box art is the same, but mine are molded in dark green, not tan. Maybe the original release was tan?

Last edited:

Elric

Alphans
The Airfix Panther I bought as a kid was definitely tan plastic.

Have no doubts, it is from the same old moulds!

Elric

Alphans
I read somewhere that Airfix are correcting the scale info on the 1/76 military kits.
At some point some were relabelled as 1/72, presumably because 1/72 had become the dominant 'small scale' for military vehicle kits and they wanted their kits to be bought by builders of that scale.

A bit naughty (and confusing) but it appears that the 'new' owners are doing the right thing now.

DX-SFX

Alphans
They were originally labelled as HO/OO scale to fall into line with the model railway range. OO is so close to 1/76th as makes no difference. They were later marketed as 1/72nd scale to fit in with virtually everything else on the basis they were close enough. The moulds have not been appreciably changed since the late 1950's when most of the military range were introduced. The only differences between some of the old kits and the new kits is that the moulds for some of the tracks were lost and the newest kits have tracks from 'new' moulds as a result. In all other respects, they remain unchanged.

As a side note to Shado Mobile builders, the early Scammel cab roof had no rivet detail. You need the slightly later release where rivet detail had been added so avoid the very early bagged releases of the kit.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
United colours of Airfix....

Hi Bernie,

Would you be able to throw the micrometer on those Panther wheel parts for me? I have 2 of these Airfix kits in 1/76 scale. I know the parts on the studio model are 1/72, but when I go to build my own from the plans you are drawing up I want to know if the difference is only 1/2 a mm or so. The 1/76 parts on my kit come in at 11.20 mm. The kits seem identical in parts with the exception of the scale size.
Thanks,
Evan

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying been drawing all day. I will update everyone on progress so far with lots more WIP research pictures, hopefully tomorrow.

Evan, I have two versions of the kit to hand so I can illustrate two points in one go:

Firstly the size it is possibly an error in my measuring and is so close it makes no difference. Sized from the latest release of the kit.

Second both the colours in Airfix side by side for comparison, one older clam shell pack copyrighted in 1973. I hope this is the very kit they used, the other is the currant release. I note the differing colours but don't think it makes any difference.

More kits have been identified, I'll bring the list found so far up to date too. I will also build a new ebay search for the kit finders best friend Post Man to locate any kits of interest that might be listed as we discover them. It will make an interesting way to list them and you can check for rarity and current prices.

Cap'n

CR

Alphans
The 1/76-as-1/72 scale thing has bugged me since its inception, as I've complained about on other threads, but it's nice to see that the kits are slowly being marketed in their proper designation, if not by the manufacturers, then by their distributors. The US-based hobby shop, Squadron, makes a point to list the kits as 1/76 scale, and in some cases where companies re-release other companies' kits, they point that out too. (For example, Revell has re-released the old Matchbox armour kits, and Squadron points this out.)

Alpha149

Forum Supporter
Thanks for taking the time to research it for me Bernie!! And once again, thanks to all for their help!!

So far I have:
2 Airfix Panthers
1 Revell Apollo: Columbia/Eagle
2 Airfix Shermans
1 SRN4 Hovercraft

Looking for a couple of Gemini's if anyone wants to sell any.

Thanks,

Evan

Alpha149

Forum Supporter
Here is a pic to show the kit I bought. It is molded in green, but after re-measuring the wheel, I came up with 11.30 mm also. Looks like we are all good!!

Attachments

• Panther.jpg
    Panther.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 44

DX-SFX

Alphans
The colour is based on what ever colour pellets were in the hopper at the time. The kit will be the same. The Revell Gemini was available in white and black along with the more common mid grey. Several Tamiya kits were shot using different base colours but otherwise the same.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Ships AHOY!!!!

Sink the Bismarck....

I have found another kit used it's the 1/600th Airfix Bismarck:
Here is a period kit and the latest generation for comparison, they are identical in the contents.

The one part I have found so far, there are bound to be more.

Here is another kit:
The Airfix M3 Lee/Grant. It seems to share a common set of running gear and the bogey wheel arrangements are very similar. You will need to cut of the rear details to reduce the overall height but they can be substituted.

There is an idler wheel needed as the one from the Sherman is not the same. The box shown is the latest version scaled at HO/OO with the bagged period red stripe version note the 2s & 9d price tag, now that's nostalgia..!. :D

Interestingly I couldn't use this kit, there seems to have been a strange reaction with the vinyl from the tracks:

I had to carefully peel the track from the part which looks to be melted. Heat was not involved though as the other parts were fine. It just seems to have occurred where the track was pressed against the plastic parts over time. I have several other very old kits with the same problem so safer to get the latest releases. :think:

It's a bit expensive to buy both versions of these kits but I wanted to be certain there were no changes and it's nice to see what the original builders would use. I also find it interesting which kits they chose. When you open the boxes it becomes obvious, the Tirpitz and HMS Belfast contain a good bundle of detailing parts and like the tanks have value in the amount of plastic parts for the price.

More later....

Cap'n

MkIXHawk

Alphans
I had to carefully peel the track from the part which looks to be melted. Heat was not involved though as the other parts were fine. It just seems to have occurred where the track was pressed against the plastic parts over time. I have several other very old kits with the same problem so safer to get the latest releases. :think:

Cap'n

The problem is down to the plasticiser in the tracks, which makes the material flexible. It has seeped from the tracks and has reacted with the styrene of the hull. This is a known issue, not just with Airfix kits. Of course, when the model is assembled, painting any parts of the model that would come into contact with the tracks will prevent the reaction

Interestingly enough, the original issues tended to have black rubbery material for their tracks, I have only seen the silvery vinyl tracks in more recent issues...:hmm:

Last edited: