Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Moonbuggy, 1/48 scale, Larson Designs

headcase

Alphans
Here's a few photos from the Moonbuggy I just finished. I bought it to put next to the 23" Eagle I'm building, for some scale. It's painted with Tamiya yellow acrylic and Testors black enamel. Here's what it looked like still in the package:

headcase

Alphans
The casting was of good quality overall, a little "soft" looking, but not bad. There were a few pin holes, and I could see through the resin on the 2 panels on either side of the driver's seat. These were easily fixed with a little putty and some sheet styrene.

headcase

Alphans
I bought Ron's decal sheet (advertised in another forum. The main problem I had with them was getting them to lie down in the indentations on the front & back of the body of the thing. That's not his fault - I should've seen it coming & did some cutouts. I also ran into a problem putting the wheels on - they're too big! So, here's a photo of the completed model:

headcase

Alphans
I made the seat cusions out of some Alves A/B putty, and used some parts from a Gemini kit to make the uranium container in the back (the silver cylinder). Finally, after it was all done, I weathered it a bit, with some pastel powder. Even though the "real" buggy in the show doesn't show much in the way of weathering, I figured this is a utility vehicle and it's going to get mucked up after a while on the lunar surface. Here you can see the effect of having to use a lot of decal softener to get the decals to lie down in the indentation on the back - it caused the decals to move a little as the smooshed down into the indentations. I didn't catch on to this until it was too late to do anything about it.

Last edited:

Transporter

Alphans
Nice job, headcase. I think your moonbuggy looks very cool, still I have two little criticisms.
One: for my taste too much weathering: Alphans need to keep their equipment clean, there is no substitute and it has to be maintained and serviced well.
Two: the antennae is a bit too thick. My moonbuggy has the same problem. Maybe a fine wire or a badger hair from a shaving brush could be of use.

Anyhow it was also a good idea to add some equipment. And it's a pity that there are no suitable Alphan astronauts. In my kit there was one included, but he doesn't really fit and is not very detailed. Therefore I left it away.

headcase

Alphans
Thanks for the tip - I know the antenna is a tad thick but it's the smallest styrene rod stock I have. I might try a thin brass rod. That's an easy fix! As far as the weathering - it may have been a little heavy-handed. I'm still getting the hang of using these pastel powders. I have been an "amateur space historian" my entire life, and judging by how pervasive the lunar dust was for the Apollo astronauts, I didn't think it looked like much at all!

saturnapollo

Alphans
I know the antenna is a tad thick but it's the smallest styrene rod stock I have. I might try a thin brass rod. That's an easy fix!

If you have a cat, look for shed whiskers. They can be used as whip antennae and will never snap. Just don't go pulling them off the cat before they are finished with them:)

Keith

KevinD

Alphans
I use lengths of guitar strings for antennae, different thicknesses can be obtained from different notes. (I have never tried it but the same could possibly said of cat's whiskers, although best not done when there is a cat attached:O)

SteveDix

Alphans
I use lengths of guitar strings for antennae, different thicknesses can be obtained from different notes. (I have never tried it but the same could possibly said of cat's whiskers, although best not done when there is a cat attached:O)

I've actually used bits of (used) guitar string to make bendable pipe detailing. As the thicker strings are usually wound, they look more detailed.