Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My 3D Series 1 Eagle Transporter Build

Becco_UK

Alphans


After sometime away, I'm rebuilding an old deleted thread of my 3D Eagle Transporter build. Welcome to the thread that outlines one of the most accurate 3D Eagles made to date.

It may take a day or two to sort out all the images for re-posting. I hope you enjoy what you see and maybe gain inspiration to have a dabble in 3d modelling yourselves.

Blueprints by Daniel Prud'homme were used to get dimensions correct.

Much of the build was along the lines of building a pysical model. So, I start with constructing the spine. I prefer joined 3D pipes as I think they look more accurate when rendered (light 'flows' around the joined 3D pipes much more natural) than simple 'poke' through ones. Joined pipes take longer though!
 
Last edited:

Becco_UK

Alphans


Keep joining until delerium sets in and this is the result - the red sections were, however, poked into the main spine structure.
 

Becco_UK

Alphans




More pipe joining to make a cage which is then copied and both cages added to the spine. The Eagle Transporter skeleton!
 

Becco_UK

Alphans


Even more joining of pipework for the engine assembly. Can't remember exactly how long it took to get to this stage but I recall it ran into days. The engine bells are simple lathed dummies that were later replaced with the proper ones.
 
Last edited:

Becco_UK

Alphans




Start of the walkways. I left the internal walkway framework because it's not visible when rendering the final model - why waste polygons when they can be used to increase detail on the visible areas?!
 
Last edited:

Becco_UK

Alphans






Simple shape structure starts the side pods. Some test renders of these parts are useful to check for any shading errors before other parts get added.

Then model real model parts were measured, 3D ones made and added to the pods.

The pods were then added to the walkways. The form of the Eagle materialises!

That will do for now - more images to be added soon.
 
Last edited:

MADsen

Alphans
Hi...Becco_UK..:thumbup:


Impressive work you´ve do´n...:clap: :thumbup:

Are there coming more pictures like these...???:think:
 

Becco_UK

Alphans
Taranis: Thank you.

MADsen: Thank you. Yes, more images of the 3d build to follow. Not so many as the original thread though but should be enough for people to gain an understanding of how my 3D Eagle was built.
 

Becco_UK

Alphans




Legs added to side pods. Shown in flight position and landed position. One day I might sort out some virtual 'bones' for them so that they work automatically when lifting off and landing. The time saver with these legs was that only one had to be made and simply copied 3 times. Giving them individual textures, later in the build, makes them each look different.
 
Last edited:

Becco_UK

Alphans










Here, the passenger pod is being constructed. Starts of with some extruded splines and planes 'welded' together. The roof windows are made the same as the real model - transparent parts of the correct thickness with only the underside surface coloured black makes the virtual Eagle glass look more realistic when rendered. Then detail gets added. Now we can get some passengers in :)
 
Last edited:

Becco_UK

Alphans








Time for those dummy engine bells to go! The 'proper' ones are a refined sline profile that is then simply lathed.

In the 3D software I use, lathed items automatically aquire useable texture maps - not perfect but with a little tweaking are useable, especially for things that do not require fine detail texturing.

Later in the build, texture maps are added to the Maxwell materials.

A Maxwell Render metal material is used for rendering - these materials are based on real world materials - I opted for a modified titanium because to me it adds a slightly burnt look to the engine bells instead of bright aluminium.

That's it for now - next time will be highlights of how I built the virtual command module.
 
Last edited:

Taranis

Alphans
GREAT!!

Do you use 3Ds MAX or another.

I use Lightwave myself and its always great to see a wire-frame
 

Becco_UK

Alphans

















Now onto the command module. This started with simple polygon shapes to get overall dimensions correct.

The shape was then curved - this really formed the base guide on which to add the command module shell.

The 'shell' started life as an hyperNurbs box and the shape adjusted until the base guide was just visible.

The base and outer shell joined together.

A set of 'cutting' planes were used to 'cut' the areas where the panelling would be extruded from.

The extruded panelling.

An interior and pilot added to the command module.

Dummy materials used to get a rough idea how the command module would look when properly textured.
 
Last edited:

Becco_UK

Alphans




Example of detail added to walkways. Didn't go down to rivet detail because most gets hidden from view by framework and side pods.
 
Last edited:

Becco_UK

Alphans










I created two main textures - the all white and striped rescue schemes. Here is the passenger pod in it's rescue colours. By time I got to the green sky image the 3D Eagle is starting to look more real than the real thing.
 
Last edited:
Top