Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Comlock

badsimmonds

Alphans
In the mid seventies just after the first series of 1999 was shown I built a comlock but unfortunately over the years it has disappeared so I thought it was time to build another.
I know there are kits out there but I decided to scratch build using bits and bobs lying around the garage.
I cut up some MDF and glued them together, although MDF is fairly stable I also fibre glassed the joins just to make sure. This was followed by endless filling and sanding and priming. I was originally going to just cut the grove using a saw but that turned out a mess so I ended up just cutting the block right through. This means more sanding etc but I think it will give me the neatest gap. I also made a smaller cube for the bottom of the comlock which was treated the same as the other. I ended up with three sections which now need to be joined.

Attachments

• DSCF9433.JPG
    DSCF9433.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF9434.JPG
    DSCF9434.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF9442.JPG
    DSCF9442.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF9464.JPG
    DSCF9464.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 30

KevinD

Alphans
Looking good. I made one decades ago and used a wooden core with thick aluminium sheet glued to it, heaven knows why!

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Well, the "state of the art" does advance over time, after all. Looking forward, as always, to seeing your results! :yes: :gossip:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Kevin I can imagine using aluminium sheeting must have been a nightmare, I would never have attempted that as I would have made a complete hash of it.

With the three sections more or less done I had to fit them back together again.
To create the gaps I just used some plasticard cut smaller than the sections plus I used some wood dowels to actually join them up. I left the bottom section as I had to drill a much bigger hole for the barrel thingy and its easier being separate from the rest of the body. I used a plastic pipe for this bit as I had it lying around and looked the correct diameter. To get a perfect fit I used the parcel tape a filler method.

At the same time I cut a slot for the belt holder using a small drill. I used some aluminium shaped for this and again I used the tape and filler to get a neat slot, this won't be fitted until after painting.

In photo three the small round item is what I'll be using for the end of the pipe.

Attachments

• DSCF9558.JPG
    DSCF9558.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF9554.JPG
    DSCF9554.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF9551.JPG
    DSCF9551.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF9550.JPG
    DSCF9550.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF9549.JPG
    DSCF9549.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Andernut

Alphans
This must be an easy build for you after some of your recent complex models. It's looking very clean and tidy, well done.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Andernut
Yes I thought it would be an easy build but to be honest I did have some problems which were of my own making, however it was nice to do a smaller project for a change. Unfortunately due to space problems most of my future models will be smaller.
Any way onto the build. The screen surround was made from 4mm Perspex glued and sanded down. I did use a small amount of filler at the corners, once sanded I primed it and sprayed it matt black as the final colour, this part won't be fixed to the body until later.
The three parts of the body were glued together and had some more priming and sanding until the final colour which was Halfords Ford Polar Grey. I don't know how accurate it is but it looks fine to me. During painting I supported the model through a hole at the top which will be hidden once the screen is in place.
With that done its time for all the fiddly details next.

Attachments

• DSCF9596.JPG
    DSCF9596.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF9591.JPG
    DSCF9591.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF9590.JPG
    DSCF9590.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF9584.JPG
    DSCF9584.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF9573.JPG
    DSCF9573.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 18

badsimmonds

Alphans
All thats left to do is the fiddly bits and pieces. I cut out various bits from plasticard and sprayed them the appropriate colour. The two round shiny bits were the tops of some mirror screws minus the screw, as they have a small piece sticking out the back I had make some small holes in the body so they would sit flat. I painted another of them matt black for the other circular part.
Other line details were just painted on. The large black panel was plasticard sprayed matt black then some fine grill laid on top and very lightly re-sprayed white, once the grill was removed you were left with an impression which looked about right. Oh and a red line was added as well.
The four white buttons on the side were actually Lego parts namely a 1x1 roof tile which is quite thin though I did reduce the height a little bit. As I hate doing fiddly bits I will always use things that look right as it saves a lot of work.
The speaker grill was some fine aluminium sheet with 1mm holes that I bought online.
The end of the tube was finished of with a tap aerator-just the plastic part which with a bit of sanding fitted perfectly inside the tube. With the addition of some chrome tape that was that.
The Koenig photo and screen visual I found on the internet but I had a lot of trouble getting them the right size.
My first small model for sometime and though it didn't take long I found it as problematic as one of my larger projects.
One thing I'm sure of and that is it would have been quicker and easier and far cheaper to have bought a Century Castings Kit.

Attachments

• DSCF9602.JPG
    DSCF9602.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF9603.JPG
    DSCF9603.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF9599.JPG
    DSCF9599.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF9597.JPG
    DSCF9597.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 14

badsimmonds

Alphans
Here are some of the final photos of the comlock.
In the second photo you can see the sprayed on grill effect on the large black piece.

Attachments

• DSCN8302.JPG
    DSCN8302.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN8305.jpg
    DSCN8305.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN8306.jpg
    DSCN8306.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN8391.jpg
    DSCN8391.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN8389.jpg
    DSCN8389.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 30

Andernut

Alphans
Outstanding work, very crisp and sharp. I often think the same as you, why didn't I just buy a kit? I think we get more satisfaction knowing we completely scratch built something. The screen actually looks as if it is lit. Well done, what's next?

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi everyone

Many many thanks for your comments.
Andernut its nice to build kits now and again but it can't beat scratch building, as you said creating something out of nothing does give you a buzz.
The screen does look as if its illuminated (which its not) its just the way the photo turned out for some reason.
My next project is already finished if that makes sense as I started it during the comlock build and was actually finished first. This time it was a kit - Uncl 'Moon' Lunar Rover.
Its slightly longer than the comlock, I'll be posting the build shortly.

Scifitodd

Forum Supporter
In the mid seventies just after the first series of 1999 was shown I built a comlock but unfortunately over the years it has disappeared so I thought it was time to build another.
I know there are kits out there but I decided to scratch build using bits and bobs lying around the garage.
I cut up some MDF and glued them together, although MDF is fairly stable I also fibre glassed the joins just to make sure. This was followed by endless filling and sanding and priming. I was originally going to just cut the grove using a saw but that turned out a mess so I ended up just cutting the block right through. This means more sanding etc but I think it will give me the neatest gap. I also made a smaller cube for the bottom of the comlock which was treated the same as the other. I ended up with three sections which now need to be joined.

Hey, now that's going to be a fun project, brings back memories of boyhood. :thumbup:

DARKVIEW

Forum Supporter
Fantastic build love your creative process. Have you a link to the aluminium sheet with 1mm holes that you bought online.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Dark View

As far as I can remember I got the grill from The Mesh Company on Ebay. I only bought a small amount of the mesh.
I hope that answers your question.
All the best with your project.

Scifitodd

Forum Supporter
Hi badSimmons,

Outstanding comlock build. I wish I had your talent. I’m getting my mojo back slowly. Maybe I will give it a go at some point. Brilliant work!