Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Cylon Raider kit from Moebius

pjskeldon

Alphans
Hi,

Following an inspiring thread by ‘badsimmonds’ showing meticulous construction and painting of a Moebius Original Series Battlestar Galactica 1/32 Cylon Raider, I thought I’d share my build up. Perhaps by committing to writing this up for the forum, I’d actually finish it!

I’d already started this kit some time ago but, on a whim, decided to throw the kitchen sink at it and try some new things which stalled things while I worked up the courage to go outside of my comfort zone:
  • Lighting
  • 3D printed aftermarket parts
  • Photoetch

When I assembled the original Monogram Cylon Raider kit in the 70’s I did the best I could just to light the engines using tin foil, torch bulbs and a 9v battery, but even that scared me off doing it again until recently. Now with LEDs and fibre optics cheaply and easily available I thought I’d give it another stab.

I was torn between two lighting kits: one from US-based Madman Lighting (madmanlighting.com); the other from UK-based Tirydium Models (tirydiummodels.co.uk).

Both kits lit up the engines, front lights, side lights and fired the cannons. The difference was that the Tirydium kit was based on an Arduino electronic board with a pre-programmed sequence of starting up the engines slowly and then flickering them. They also provided replacement cannon with the lighting already installed, so this seemed the better option. However, I still wasn’t convinced by either kit based on the web descriptions, so bought both to compare the differences when I had them in my hands.

It was while considering the available 3D printed aftermarket parts that I came to a decision.

I’d heard about Shapeways (shapeways.com) as a source of 3D printed parts so decided to take a look. This was to influence the lighting I’d need and also reinforce the itch I wanted to scratch in trying out photoetch parts.

Looking through the site, I quickly chose a cockpit, complete with three Centurions, and replacement cannons. Both sets offered the possibility of lighting. The cockpit had holes underneath the Centurions for some form of red LED, as well as holes in the rear wall to allow those banks of ‘flashing lights’ that every SF set from the 70’s required. The cannons were printed with a 1mm hole to allow a fibre optic to be inserted.

I ordered these and, after about three weeks, they arrived.

An eBay seller in Poland turned out to be the cheapest for the Paragrafix cockpit louvres which would show off the cockpit.

As I said, I’d started this kit some time ago and, following a YouTube build up, had bought Rustoleum grey primer to give the model a coat or two. I’d also bought Rustoleum matt black and metallic silver to light-proof the main body parts.

I wasn’t entirely happy with this shade of grey as the final hull colour, so was inspired by badsimmonds’ use of Vallejo grey primer instead.

Anyway – here are the pictures I took today to show you where I’m up to.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AutT6j6v6iOmhGhupMKxJ5pk_044?e=FjhwZi

Some things you may be able to see in the pictures above:
  • There was some ‘soft’ detail between the engines, especially the ribbed area and immediately behind it
  • There was also some sinking of the plastic where structural members lay underneath. Some could be covered with a thin sheet of cut styrene, but others I just left
  • The surface finish of the Shapeways cockpit was quite rough and, of course, not suitable for easy sanding or filling. This made the painting of it look somewhat poor
  • I bought some additional lighting supplies from Small Scale Lights (smallscalelights.co.uk) – particularly flickering red LEDs for the Centurions and a kit that offers flashing/colour changing fibre optics for the rear cockpit wall

That’s all for now. More soon. :thumbup:
 

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi PJ

Just seen this and can't wait to see the final result with all the upgrades. Even though the molding has one or two slight defects its still a great kit which goes together very well.
Looking at your photos you do seem to have more 'soft' areas than I did. With some weathering etc they can be hidden or reduced.
I would love to deal with brass etching but I know I would have made a complete mess of it as small details are not my strong point.
Its looking good and a great ship to have in your collection.
Till next time.
Malcolm
 
Top