Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My earliest scratchbuild...re-discovered !

thundergod

Alphans
On a clearout of the loft , I discovered a large box of model stuff long forgotten , in which I discovered some models I built 20 years ago for a video/movie project I was involved in ( in a previous life , I had a small video production business ). It was a pleasant surprise as I thought them long gone and a few are even worth a re-vamp . These were my first "serious" attempts at scratchbuilding and being models built for filming , the level of detailing and finish on close inspection could seem a little "rough "!
This first one one was quite literally a background model and as such , is nothing groundbreaking design wise ( I took a little inspiration from a design I found in one of the Star Wars EU "Technical Manuals ") but I quite like the general shape and could be worked into something interesting . I must add , I've already added a new colour scheme as the original one was a bland beige colour ( for reasons to do with the specifics of filming ) . It was designed as a "Corporate Shuttle " , in it's new life , I see it as a "Troop Transport" , maybe in the Star Wars universe ( full circle there then !)

This one was more of a "hero model" and as such , a little more time was spent on it's design . It's looking a little worse for wear and is missing a few parts , but I plan on stripping it down and returning it to it's former glory .
I call it the "Osprey " and is designed as a general purpose "work vehicle" ( I envisioned it as a sort of "space pick-up" or Transit Van ). There were two built , this one , the "Early Bird II" and the "Tweetie Pie" . All the craft in the story were named after birds , though I don't recall were I got that idea ! :lol:

There are a few more ships , but some need a little work before I'm happy with posting pics . And yes , there IS an "Eagle " .:thumbup:

thundergod

Alphans
Very nice! I especially like the second one with the Zoids cockpit. Hope to see more soon. :thumbup:

Well spotted ! :twisted:

P.s , apologies for the rather scrappy pics , I spent ages cropping and cleaning them up on Photobucket , only for it to totally ignore me and post the original shots !

Last edited:

wappynutter

Alphans
Excellent looking scratch builds thunder.....:thumbup:

I reckon you'll work your magic and return them to their former glory mate.
Nice loft find.... Oh and what happened to the movie idea?
:think:
Will be keen to see this thread grow...:brows:
Regards Andy. :D

thundergod

Alphans
Excellent looking scratch builds thunder.....:thumbup:

I reckon you'll work your magic and return them to their former glory mate.
Nice loft find.... Oh and what happened to the movie idea?
:think:
Will be keen to see this thread grow...:brows:
Regards Andy. :D

Back then , I had a small video production company which dealt mostly with corporate stuff , training videos and the like , ( this was in the very early days of this kind of thing ) as well as weddings , kids parties etc . We also entered into music videos as my business partner owned a recording studio/rehearsal room .As a sideline , we dabbled with more interesting stuff and often entered competitions with little horror movies and shorts . We harboured the idea of an SF movie and spent the best part of two years in "pre-production" of our masterpiece . Our idea was quite ambitious , being basically an animated film , but using "green screen " techniques to add real actors into the action . Unfortunately , for a few reasons , the company folded before the project bore any results . This was before the "digital revolution " and so all the work we did exists only on floppy discs , computer files and VHS video ! Bear in mind , these were the days when it took us close on TWO WEEKS of evenings to shoot a single scene of a character's head and shoulders and then place it in an "animated" ships cockpit ! ( A similar thing my 10 year old son does in "real time" now in school in an afternoon ). I'm still in contact with my ex business partner ( he now teaches media etc .) and we often talk of resurrecting the project , so you never know , it MAY still one day surface . The reason I was genuinely surprised at finding the models , was I thought they'd been left at our premises when the business ended .

thundergod

Alphans
A little more renovation done on the "Republic Troop Transport" . I've added landing gear and repainted the model with some light grey I had handy . Unfortunately , the paint in some areas is making the panel detail a little soft ( it was originally sprayed with car paints , so the paint is getting a little thick , here and there !) and is actually beginning to "raise" a little , but short of stripping it all and starting over ( which , to be honest , I'm not really prepared to do ) , there's not a lot I can do about it . As I'm rubbing down with light sanding pads between coats , it's not a problem as such and any problem areas I can always disguise with weathering and damage ! ( The "universal get -out" of the Star Wars modeller ! ):lol: