Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Explosive Truck

badsimmonds

Alphans
I know its not been that long since my last build but I hate wasting time especially when I'm looking forward to a particular build. So when others have been enjoying Christmas etc I've started on the latest build the explosive truck.
A lot of people have built this vehicle to high standards so I hope I can do it justice. Before I go any further I must say this build would not be possible without the help of Paul Gray who was kind enough to mould the wheels in resin for me, a job I would be useless at so many many thanks Paul.
My model building time will be drastically reduced for this build so there may be long gaps between posting.
The wheels came in two parts so I had twenty four parts to fit together. After cleaning them up and pairing them to each other I decided to join them using P38. The first one I just put the filler on one half and gently squeezed them together making sure they were evenly spaced. The next one I cut up little bits of 4mm perspex and glued them round one half so when I push the halves together they will only go so far and be nice and even. However some filler got into the treads which was a nightmare to remove. The next one I wrapped masking tape over the treads on both parts so any excess filler will only end up on the tape which is easy to remove and keep the treads clear.
Once the filler was dry ( had to bring the wheels into the house to get a bit of warmth to help them set as it was too cold in the garage) I sanded the excess off using an electric sander, any defects were touched up with filler.

Attachments

• DSCF4567.JPG
    DSCF4567.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF4569.JPG
    DSCF4569.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF4570.JPG
    DSCF4570.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 47

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Rab

Many thanks for the link, what can I say, your truck is stupendous and the photos will help greatly in my build.
Of all the wheeled vehicles I've built only my Jason Truck had steerable wheels simply because I used the JE front steering wheels straight from the toy, However I really want to have the front wheels on this project steer but I just can't get my head round the engineering, can you point me in the right direction. How did you support the front wheels and have them swivel? Sorry if this is a basic question but my mind is blank on this area.
Again thanks for the photos of your truck, it really is a fantastic build.
Malcolm

Big Rab

Forum Supporter
Thank you Malcolm, you are very welcome.
Here is a basic plan of how I did it. The front wheels do not have any suspension but they do steer.

I think my wheels are a little too narrow, but I am not going to change them now.

When you build the body, you have to be careful at the front to keep the correct shape. I am sure that is on another thread a long while ago, I will see if I can find it.

Please feel free to ask questions and I will help if I can.

Just found the thread http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2559

Attachments

• Joe 90 truck steering Basic set up 1.jpg
    Joe 90 truck steering Basic set up 1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Rab again

Many thanks for all that info, I think I'm beginning to see the light on how the steering works. I was going to do a bit more on it today but the garage (where I do all my models) was absolutely freezing so I think I'm going to have to wait until it warms up a bit. I can't wait to get stuck into this vehicle as its one of my favourites.
Again many thanks, I might have to use your brains again in the future.
all the best
Malcolm

badsimmonds

Alphans
A small update on this build. After joining 24 half wheels together I removed the masking tape which kept the filler from the tread and sanded the excess off using an electric sander. It sounds a bit harsh but there was quite a bit of excess to remove, I then hand sanded to smooth them down a bit.
I gave them all a quick spray of primer to show up defects which were then dealt with. My dremel has packed up otherwise I'd give the treads a clean but that will have to wait until I get a replacement.
I decided to fill up the plain side of the wheels with a bit of fibreglass resin to strengthen them and to give more substance when drilling the holes for the axles later on.
That's about it for now, I've been looking at endless photos and the episode to try and work out what the underneath of the truck looks like and whether the wheels are fitted inside the chassis our protrude a bit, any ideas anyone?
As usual because of low budget I think I'll make the chassis from wood covered in fibreglass but the top half will be perspex when I can afford some.

Attachments

• DSCF4576.JPG
    DSCF4576.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF4577.JPG
    DSCF4577.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 43

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks Slate but most of the credit should go to Paul Gray who was kind enough to mould all those half wheels for me, all I did was fit them together. If it wasn't for Paul I would not be building this vehicle as the mystery of moulding is beyond me.
all the best
malcolm

badsimmonds

Alphans
I haven't been able to do a lot on this model due as usual to a lack of money but also lack of tools. I'm trying to sell things on ebay to raise money so I can continue but it all takes time.
I have managed to do a bit since the wheels are sort of complete. I've looked at the truck on the episode and other peoples builds but wasn't sure how the underneath of the truck looked so I've guessed and hope its ok. Normally I would have used perspex for the chassis but as I don't have any I've used what I've got lying around which is plywood.
After working out the sizes I cut them out of 12mm ply which was glued together. The trouble with using any wood is the grain can be difficult to hide at times so like my Jason Truck I covered the whole chassis in Fibreglass which completely hides the grain and adds a lot of strength. Once it was dry I sanded it all level and used filler to smooth out any unevenness, this took a little while as I kept coming across defects, plus it was so cold in the garage I could only spend a few minutes at a time on it.
The two raised triangular sections on each side are for the rear wheels and the flat sections are for the steering mechanism which hopefully I'll be able to work out how it goes together especially with my lack of skills in this area.

Attachments

• DSCF4589.JPG
    DSCF4589.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF4584.JPG
    DSCF4584.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4583.JPG
    DSCF4583.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF4582.JPG
    DSCF4582.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF4579.JPG
    DSCF4579.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 36

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its been a while since I last updated this build due mostly to it being too cold in the garage.
I decided to continue with the wheels by drilling a 10mm hole through each one for the axles. I tried doing this by hand but its very difficult to keep the drill straight so I bought a very cheap drill stand which should keep everything straight. The trouble with buying cheap (its all I could afford) is you end up with something that's a bit iffy. Well I managed just to get the holes drilled, they weren't 100% but I think I can get away with it.
As you can see in the photos I've dry fitted very roughly eight of the wheels using brass axles to get an idea of what it looks like. I'm still playing with the idea of having suspension on this model which I've never done before.
Having left this model on the back burner for so long I've lost the momentum but I must get back into it otherwise it will just sit there collecting dust.

Attachments

• DSCF4591.JPG
    DSCF4591.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4592.JPG
    DSCF4592.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4594.JPG
    DSCF4594.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4596.JPG
    DSCF4596.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 19
Its easy to lose momentum - here hoping the better weather inspires you as its shaping up nicely (I'll need to get back onto mine as well)

badsimmonds

Alphans
I've managed to get a bit more done as the weather has improved a bit.
I'm thinking of having suspension on this vehicle so my method if I continue with it is the old school way of just having some foam/rubber fixed under the rear axles so to hold it in place I just cobble up a couple of 'holders' from scrap lying around.
The idea is to fix these in place under the axles with the foam kept in place by the high sides. I know they look a bit rough but I will tidy them up a bit and once painted it should be ok.
If I go ahead with the suspension I'll also have to slightly lengthen the axle holes so they have more vertical movement, as yet I haven't done it.
Another thing I was definitely going to have was the front wheels being able to turn. Thanks to some info from Big Rab I've done my version of the mechanism. I cut out a couple of pieces of aluminium which will hold the front axles sandwiched in between and allow them to turn. The axles are brass tubing with a dowel core which I can screw into later. After working out positions I drilled through both bits of the aluminium and the axles and bolted them in place. They can now swivel and to join up both axles I raided my trusty meccanno box and used some rods and joiners etc. I had to drill another couple of holes to take the rods which connect to the curved piece of meccanno. It does the trick and works pretty good, after all the model once finished will spend its life on a shelf but having the front wheels swivel makes it look a bit better.

Attachments

• DSCF4607.JPG
    DSCF4607.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4606.JPG
    DSCF4606.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF4604.JPG
    DSCF4604.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF4599.JPG
    DSCF4599.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF4600.JPG
    DSCF4600.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4602.JPG
    DSCF4602.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 10

badsimmonds

Alphans
I decided to start on the body work next. I really wanted to make this out of acrylic/Perspex but unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy any so its back to using whatever is in the garage. This means like my Jason Truck its going to be hardboard. This name always conjures up cheap tatty house repairs but it does have its uses.
I cut out the shape of the body from HB and then measured and cut some ribs from 12mm ply, these will support the HB which is glued and panel pined in place. It doesn't matter how rough it is as it'll be covered in fibreglass later which will add strength and cover up all the joins without fear of them opening up.
Once the top section was done I started on the part underneath and behind the wheels. You might notice in the photo of the model upside down I have used M8 40mm repair washers on the axle where it meets the back of the wheels, this looks better and help hides any rough parts on the wheel.
I won't attempt the curvy cab section until later.

Attachments

• DSCF4629.JPG
    DSCF4629.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF4625.JPG
    DSCF4625.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF4615.JPG
    DSCF4615.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF4614.JPG
    DSCF4614.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF4611.JPG
    DSCF4611.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 15

badsimmonds

Alphans
Before I fitted the roof I drilled a couple of holes through the base and glued some dowel rods which will fit into holes in the chassis, this way I can remove the body from the chassis easily at any time.
I also made the bottom half of the front cab section which is on the same level as the wheels, once its sanded and fibre glassed I can fit it in place, the chassis will then just fit in-between this and the rear bit.(does this make sense?)
After gluing some extra supports I cut and fitted the roof including part of the sloping section. Once dry I sanded all surfaces and joins smooth ready for the fibreglass.
This always a messy time for me as I end up getting this stuff everywhere. It took a few sessions to get it completely covered twice. After every session you have to through away the brush so I just buy the cheapest I can find.
After a few days I sanded it down using an electric sander, followed by some rough sanding by hand and finally a smaller finer palm sander. It still looks a bit rough but after yet more sanding and p38 it should be fine.

Attachments

• DSCF4637.JPG
    DSCF4637.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF4633.JPG
    DSCF4633.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF4628.JPG
    DSCF4628.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF4626.JPG
    DSCF4626.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF4631.JPG
    DSCF4631.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 11
Missed it completely.....

Hi Malcolm, don't know how I've missed every post you've made, but I have, quite successfully it would seem. I chanced upon this thread last night, and apologise for not spotting your sterling efforts before now. And they are, indeed, sterling efforts.

Appreciate that Paul's helped you with the wheels, but the rest of it is, as always, down to your ingenuity and resourcefulness. I enjoy seeing the old standby of hardboard and scraps of wood being utilised, because that's probably just how I'd approach it. I have a large garden-based project on the go this year which I have just started, so very little time to spend at the kitchen table on building models - I shall, instead, look forward to seeing more photographs of your Explosives Truck as it develops.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Patrick
Good to hear from you again.
I was up in your part of the world the other day visiting my Dad in Stirling, I would visit more often but its a hell of a drive.
Glad you like my latest build, I hope to update it this weekend though all I've been doing is the usual sanding and filling.
all the best
malcolm

badsimmonds

Alphans
Since the last posting I've been busy sanding and filling the fibreglass covered main body. As you can imagine this takes ages and just when you think you've cracked it another fault makes itself known.
I've reached the point when I think it will do for now as I need to get on with other bits.
Before I used the fibreglass I had cut out the four little indents but they were covered up by the fibre matting so I had to start again. If I used Perspex from the beginning this would have been a lot easier but I didn't so I have to get on with it. Once they were cut out and a lot of filing I used filler on the edges to fill any defects. Once dry I filed them down, the trouble is my usual file is only just small enough to fit the holes so I ended up using those disposable nail files which fitted just right.
Next I glued some backing behind the holes, I had to fit these through the holes drilled in the front. Once dry I cut out some sections of plasticard and glued them in place so they were angled like the original.
These four small holes took ages to get right, its amazing how what you think is a simple job can seem to take forever to do.

Attachments

• DSCF4653.JPG
    DSCF4653.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF4650.JPG
    DSCF4650.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF4648.JPG
    DSCF4648.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF4647.JPG
    DSCF4647.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its now time for the front part of this vehicle and again I used what I had which was more hardboard. I cut roughly to shape and glued and pinned the parts in place, there was also some wood blocks inside for the pins to hold.
It looks rubbish but it doesn't matter as its going to be covered up completely.
Before the next step I taped over the indents so they won't get damaged during the messy stage.
Using fine mesh I fibre glassed the front section giving it two coats over a period of time. The surfaces are flat as hardboard is not prone to bending but I intend to create any curves using filler.
Once the fibre glass was dry I started the long process of sanding and filling, this took ages until it looked right. I had to be careful when blending the front section into the completed rear but it turned out ok and the whole body was given a final sand and slight filling to finish it off. It will probably require another going over before detailing and painting.
I had already made the front part which fits underneath and joins up with the cab earlier using ply and fibreglass so I decided to screw this onto the body which is why there are three screw heads visible on the front slope. The separate chassis section will fit in between this and the rear bulkhead.

Attachments

• DSCF4659.JPG
    DSCF4659.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF4662.JPG
    DSCF4662.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF4664.JPG
    DSCF4664.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4667.JPG
    DSCF4667.JPG