Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Explosive Truck

Nothing you ever do looks rubbish.....

..... and don't go changing either: this is all a cornerstone of the "badsimmonds Way". You're right about the indentations - how many times has any one of us sat down with a job which should take half an hour and then, days later, still not have it nailed?

Looking forward to the next stage,

Kindest regards

Pat

badsimmonds

Alphans
For a change I went back to the chassis section and decided to add some details. Some people add detail and others don't, its also very difficult to see this area clearly on the original models but I thought it looked too plain without something there.
I used bits and bobs I had, some plastic pipes, parts of plastic garden ties and of course the girder bridge. There's not a lot there but enough to make it interesting to look at, plus you have to remember the wheels will cover most of this area.
I Have also fitted the 'suspension' bits in the chassis which in reality are just 'U' shaped parts which will hold the rubber in place. No fancy modern springs/hydraulics just the original simple method for me. I'll have to use something that has give but will support the model on the shelf.
At this stage I also dry fitted all the parts I'd made to see what it looks like for the first time.

Attachments

• DSCF4678.JPG
    DSCF4678.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF4694.JPG
    DSCF4694.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF4696.JPG
    DSCF4696.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 36
Great, just great.....

.....I always liked the look of this truck - I'm sure the legendary Alvis Stalwart must have been somebody's inspiration somewhere along the way. It's worth doing the detailing on the chassis - even if nobody else ever notices it, you'll have the pleasure of knowing it's there. On that point, your picture of the chassis looks really really good, and conveys your typically robust and well-made approach to things.

Keep up the great work Malcolm -

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Does any one have an idea of the fonts used on this model.
I'm talking mostly about the rear lettering and the little sign above the cab windows.
If anyone can help I'll be most grateful.

many thanks
malcolm

badsimmonds

Alphans
Time now for the front cabin, I had just enough Perspex available to make this section.
After working out the basic shape of the cab on card I cut out the bits needed and glued them together. It looks a bit rough at the moment but there is still a long way to go. I wish I still had my Dremel but I had to cut out the windows using the old fashioned method of drilling lots of holes and then filing down.
This took sometime which was not helped by me dropping it on the concrete floor, fortunately it was easily mended.
To help strengthen it I poured some fibreglass resin into the front and rear sections, this will help when I drill through the cab to create an anchor point as the cab will be removable.
With the basic construction complete its time to start the never ending sanding/filling etc.

Attachments

• DSCF4691.JPG
    DSCF4691.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF4689.JPG
    DSCF4689.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4688.JPG
    DSCF4688.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF4687.JPG
    DSCF4687.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF4683.JPG
    DSCF4683.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 11

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi everyone
Does anyone know where I can get a couple of those lights on the back of the Explosive truck as I've tried everywhere and can't find a thing.
I'd be over the moon if someone knows where they are.

many thanks
malcolm

badsimmonds

Alphans
Another question.
Can anyone please tell me what colour the truck is as I'm going out of my mind trying to decide. Every truck built seems to be a different colour and I just can't afford to keep on buying paint till I get it right.
I've looked at Tamiya etc and there are just too many greens.

badsimmonds

Alphans
After working on the cabin and dropping it a couple of times which involved filling and sanding yet again, I think most of the time I spend on my models is with sanding and filling.
Windows next, I decided to make the front support frames from 2mm plasticard the actual finish frames will fit onto this. Because I don't have a dremel I used the drill holes & file method, its slower but perhaps a bit more controlled and less tendency to cut over the lines.
Once dry I filled up any gaps and sanded and repeated till satisfied.
In one of the photos of the front curved section I glued a couple of stops and drilled a hole so I can remove the cabin at any time. I was wondering whether to do a simple interior or not but the trouble is there's not much room so I haven't decided yet.

Attachments

• DSCF4698.JPG
    DSCF4698.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF4700.JPG
    DSCF4700.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF4701.JPG
    DSCF4701.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF4705.JPG
    DSCF4705.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4704.JPG
    DSCF4704.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 7
Cabin fever (or not).....

So if you didn't install seats and a dashboard, would you black out the windows Malcolm? It must be tempting to go the whole way and kit out the interior but, at the same time, you cannot have much space and it would surely hold things up considerably. Either way, great truck and a great thread to go with it. Sorry I cannot offer any advice on the colour, font, lettering or anything else, but I know you'll work something out. Keep us posted now,

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Patrick
I keep thinking about an interior but as I said there's not a lot of room with the way I've built it. Whether I do one or not I will slightly frost the window edges and make them look like the real ones which desperately needed cleaning. In fact the final look of my truck will be like they are at the end of the episode, manky and mucky.
With the cabin removable I can add an interior at anytime. I have come to some decisions concerning the fonts and paint so I hope they work out as every explosive truck has been painted a different colour.

badsimmonds

Alphans
After sanding down the front cab section and installing the front basic window frames I used the parcel tape/filler method to fill any gaps between the cab and body. I missed out the area where the doors are supposed to be so it looks a bit like a door gap.
I had scored the door frames but they weren't really deep enough so I very carefully using my junior hacksaw gently made the score a bit deeper.
The next step was the two 'hood' things at the front. I first used 4mm Perspex but that was too thick, next I used plasticard but that was too thin so finally I found some foam board and cut the parts out of that. Its the first time I've used foam board on a model and I must say its very easy to work with. I glued them in place and filled any gaps with filler.
I'm beginning to feel as if I'm on the home stretch now.

Attachments

• DSCF4715.JPG
    DSCF4715.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF4713.JPG
    DSCF4713.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF4711.JPG
    DSCF4711.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF4706.JPG
    DSCF4706.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 13
Great in grey....

....even in the undercoat it's looking marvellous Malcolm. Good to know that the foam board worked out as well - what adhesive did you use to stick them on to the main body? Looking forward to the next instalment....

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Patrick
I just used plain old superglue which I use most of the time, the only thing against it is you have to have the object exactly where you want it otherwise you have to use stanley to get the thing off again.
I'm a bit behind on these posts as the model is virtually complete construction wise and in fact I've been painting the chassis and wheels their final colour. I must post more.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its now the start of the detailing stage.
For this vehicle you need 3 girder bridges, 2 footbridges and 1 signal gantry, fortunately all these kits are readily available at reasonable prices.
However there are one or two bits you have to make yourselves and one of them is the detail on either side near the front. One piece is from a girder bridge but the other I made from plasticard with plastic strips down each side. They only take a few minutes to make and once the edges are sanded they look ok.
The front of the truck has a number of kit parts fitted in place but there are also two areas which are meant to be sunken lights, unfortunately I didn't take them into account when building so I have to have them on the surface.
I've compromised a little bit as I made the two larger light covers using the same method as above but this time I also fitted a bit of mesh. The two smaller squares were made the same way again with mesh. As you can see there is also some good old Lego in there as well.
You'll have to forgive me for changing something but I should have looked more closely before building.

Attachments

• DSCF4723.JPG
    DSCF4723.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF4721.JPG
    DSCF4721.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF4719.JPG
    DSCF4719.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF4718.JPG
    DSCF4718.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4717.JPG
    DSCF4717.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 15
Imaginative and resourceful.....

.....another heady mix of original parts and found objects, bringing all that detailing to life. On a related point, I watched Captain Scarlet "Point 783" last night, with the mighty Unitron tank going through its paces, and reflected on the exceptional quality of modelmaking which was such an integral part of the Anderson universe. That sense of realism and weight was due, in no small part, to the effects team cannibalising all manner of kits and "found items", and that's exactly what you're achieving here Malcolm.

Here's to the paint job - can't wait!

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi there Slate/Patrick

The lego was part of the original model and apart from the front detail a piece was also used just behind the cab with two ariels sticking out and yes I did sand of the Lego words.
Your quite correct Patrick about the weight and mass of the models in the Anderson universe I'm always amazed how realistic they move and bounce about helped by high speed filming. If you have ever seen the behind the scenes footage of them filming its funny to see things move so quickly.
Great efforts were made by Derek and his team to get everything looking as good as possible within the time and budget restraints, fifty years later their work still stands out.

A weighty matter.....

I know it's not really related to your thread, but I know you feel the same way - further Captain Scarlet episodes I've revisited (Model Spy and Seek and Destroy) show off some of the absolutely beautiful modelwork - an SPC whose nose actually dips when the brakes are applied, the massive transporter ferrying the crates containing the aircraft, and all of the other sets, vehicles and craft which are such integral aspects of the show.

Your love of the subject matter, whichever model you're building, shines through and really recaptures some the original model makers' dedication and skill - now, I suspect, lost forever. Even the Lego you were sharp-eyed enough to spot, now faithfully reproduced on your own Explosives Truck, helps to make this thread truly fascinating.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Patrick
When you mentioned about the SPC nose dipping when it brakes reminded me of something I read a while ago about how they achieved that.
As you know a lot of vehicles were moved by a rod through the base board, well apparently at the end othe rod under the base board they fitted a wedge shaped bit of wood and where they wanted the vehicle to stop there was another wedge under the baseboard. So when the two wedges met they pulled down the nose of the vehicle on top.
I hope that sounds right, these guys really knew all the tricks and its always a great pleasure watching their work on the small screen.

badsimmonds

Alphans
With construction nearing the end I decided to start on detailing the body.
Some people use tape to create the top and rear 'ridges' along the edges but I decided to use Evergreen Styrene strips which come in all shapes and sizes and profiles. Once I had cut and glued them on I filled in the very small gap between them and the roof so it would look like it was all once piece.
With those in place on either side I started to stick on the vertical side rails taken from the girder bridge. It was then time to use the footbridge parts on the sides and roof.
In the meantime I also created the two grilled headlamp covers from plasticard and aluminium car mesh. As I said in an earlier post this was a compromise on my part (sorry folks) Once dry I sanded them down to a thinner profile then glued them in place.
I found I was two parts short for the roof, those rectangular parts from the footbridge so I had to make them up with the same method as above.

Attachments

• DSCF4726.JPG
    DSCF4726.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF4729.JPG
    DSCF4729.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4734.JPG
    DSCF4734.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF4722.JPG
    DSCF4722.JPG