Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Explosive Truck

badsimmonds

Alphans
After fitting most of the detail on the model I turned my attention to the back where it has those horizontal strips. I bought some Evergreen Styrene strips 1mm x 4.8mm. I numbered them as I cut them as I thought this might help when gluing.
These took ages to glue as I had to constantly check they were level and the gaps were consistent. Once finished they made a huge difference to the back end.
Next I fitted a couple of those bits from the girder bridge under the strips - the black and yellow hazard sign fits between them. I also did the two squares on the cab roof which are the bases from the Footbridge kit.
Its very difficult to decide what detail there is in certain areas as the models appear to be different and other peoples builds can be different as well, this is not helped by bits falling off the original models during filming. I looked at the episode a number of times so if I've missed something - well its not the end of the world.
As usual for me I spray primer when things are dry so I can check for any major defects.

Attachments

• DSCF4736.JPG
    DSCF4736.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF4737.JPG
    DSCF4737.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4739.JPG
    DSCF4739.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF4741.JPG
    DSCF4741.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4742.JPG
    DSCF4742.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 30
Brilliant.....

What attention to detail! Your handiwork is so neat, Malcolm. This will be some model when it's finished. Keep going.....

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Many thanks Pat/Crimson you are too kind.
I'm still on the details and now its time for the actual window frames with the rivet detail.
I first cut out the appropriate shape out of thin plasticard and sanded and filed till it was the right shape. There are rivets on these frames and the easiest way to produce them is using a sharp pointy thingy. Once the frames are the correct shape I turn them upside down and pencil where I want the rivets then gently just press the point into the plastic, if you turn the frame right way up you'll see a perfect rivet detail. You have to practice first to find the right pressure to use but its so easy. Once they were done I glued the frames into position and lightly sanded them to just very slightly round of the tops of the 'rivets'.
The same method was used for the side and front frames, however I wish creating rivets on the rest of the vehicle was as easy as this but that's another story.

Attachments

• DSCF4749.JPG
    DSCF4749.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4748.JPG
    DSCF4748.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4746.JPG
    DSCF4746.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4744.JPG
    DSCF4744.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4743.JPG
    DSCF4743.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 14

badsimmonds

Alphans
Now comes the part I was dreading - the body rivets.
There are a lot of methods used by modellers to create these things and after looking on the internet I decided to buy some little 2mm things for decorating cards. They are self adhesive but I decided to glue them on, but, after I had completed one side I came to the conclusion they weren't right so I removed them and repaired the damage. I then used a 2mm hole punch and punched them out of some plasticard, again after gluing them on I thought they were a tad too big so off they came and again I repaired the damage. This time I used a 1/16th hole punch which is about 1.5mm and duly punched some thin plasticard and stuck them on. There are dozens of the things on this vehicle and they all had to be stuck on one by one. Once they were dry I sanded them down a little and tried to round them off. I was always worried they might all fall off during the sanding but only two came off.
I made some 4mm ones for the larger 'dots' that are on the body in various places.
All in all they are not perfect but I think they will do and the paint & weathering will help to blend them in later on.

Attachments

• DSCF4754.JPG
    DSCF4754.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4755.JPG
    DSCF4755.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF4757.JPG
    DSCF4757.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4767.JPG
    DSCF4767.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4778.jpg
    DSCF4778.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Riveting, just riveting.....

All that attention to detail Malcolm - you have far more patience than me, especially after two or three attempts....The truck bodywork looks tremendous, with rich details to catch the eye. You're doing a great job.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Dave

Alphans
Someone on here once said that the original model was made from the tipper part of a huge toy truck. That makes perfect sense to me and I've been scouring the internet ever since.

Now that would be the most accurate representation ever.

The wheels are the most difficult part of the model. On the original model they were rounded at the ends, not flat like the Johnny Express wheels are.

If I ever get round to building another, I would certainly round off the wheels (where the two halves join together).
Maybe if I ever find that elusive toy tipper truck...

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks again Pat for your kind comments. Dave funny you should mention about the body as I wondered if they used some existing toy to help them on their way, I'd be curious to see if one ever surfaces.
Its not been that long since I last posted but I'm somewhat behind as the model was finished yesterday so I'm speeding up my build diary.
After the rivets which after some fine tuning and priming aren't too bad I moved back onto the chassis.
The wheels were cleaned up and sprayed Halfords Matt Black, once dry I masked them off and sprayed the centres with Plasticote Silver.
After that I used a little brush and painted (if that's the word) some Tamiya XF 52 Flat Earth to represent mud. Once that was dry I airbrushed some Tamiya XF1 Flat Black over the mud to tone them down, to my eye at least they look not too bad. Things look better in front of you than photos so I hope you will take my word for it.
Next step was to paint the chassis its final colour. I believe just about every build of this vehicle has been painted a different colour so after a lot of thought I chose Tamiya AS9 Dark Green (matt). Some might think this is too dark but my intentions with this truck was always to have it looking as it does at the end of the episode not the beginning.
I also sprayed the interior of the cab matt black as I've decided not to have an interior.

Attachments

• DSCF4789.jpg
    DSCF4789.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF4786.JPG
    DSCF4786.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF4775.jpg
    DSCF4775.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4763.JPG
    DSCF4763.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF4762.JPG
    DSCF4762.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 24
Wheels within wheels.....

If ever there was a trademark of an Andersonesque land-based vehicle, it's having a multitude of wheels - not entirely practical, but looking just fantastic. Again, I feel sure that this particular truck's origins are due, in part, to the mighty Alvis Stalwart: I was reading an article on this real-world vehicle and there were all kinds of problems with the driveshafts and gears for the three axles. When the vehicle turned a corner, it played havoc with the wheels because they were wanted to go at the same speed, but were being forced to rotate at different speeds. All very complicated, it would seem.....

Anyway, back to your Explosives truck, Malcolm - it just looks better and better each time. Can't wait for its unveiling once completed!

Kindest regards

Patrick

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
it's looking fantastic - in fact each new model you start gets better and better ! Love the idea about creating the rivet detail - just genius.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi there
I didn't print many photos for this model so I kept running back into the house to look at the info on the computer so the ones I did print had to be very useful for the build. I used your model for reference Dave as it was the only one that helped me along.
Back to the model and its the final paint time. As you know there are some lettering on the back of the truck and the only way to achieve them on this surface was to first spray white primer and once dry stick the letters on and then spray the final colour. It took ages to get the right position for them and make sure they were centred.
The letters were made by my local graphics company, I didn't know the font used so I gave them a picture to show what they should look like and left them to choose a suitable font, it was the same for the letters on the red sign above the cab.
The colour used was Tamiya AS 9 Dark Green which I was happy with. Some people may think its a bit dark but that's ok as I intend to have this truck very dirty. I like the Tamiya sprays as they have a good finish and dry quickly.
In the last photo you can see the two holes I drilled in the back for the red lights.

Attachments

• DSCF4816.JPG
    DSCF4816.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4819.JPG
    DSCF4819.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF4821.JPG
    DSCF4821.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4827.JPG
    DSCF4827.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4830.JPG
    DSCF4830.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 42

Dave

Alphans
I'm so glad my model helped, makes it all the more worthwhile.

Your is coming on a treat.

Accurate, to the letter.....

Now you're really getting somewhere M - I'm no expert on this truck, but it looks great in its green livery, and the lettering idea is a neat trick indeed.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Getting near the end now with the final haul.
The numbers etc were made by my local graphics company, I wasn't sure what font to use so in the end for the big numbers I used Euro Style extended, for the small numbers Euro Style Bold Extended, I also used this font on the side 'explosives' signs. Some might have used different ones but hey ho!
The cabin had its wing mirrors fitted which were from the ever present girder bridge and also its final painting. The go-faster yellow stripe was 3mm self adhesive vinyl I had in stock.
The yellow/black stripes on the hood/bonnet were sprayed on using Halfords matt black & Halfords Daytona yellow. I was nervous doing them as any paint leakage would have meant doing it again, fortunately I was lucky.
Its really beginning to come together, I'm always amazed on all my projects how you spend ages not getting anywhere then suddenly one day it all comes together and personally I'm always amazed it does.

Attachments

• DSCF4851.JPG
    DSCF4851.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF4850.JPG
    DSCF4850.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4846.JPG
    DSCF4846.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF4839.JPG
    DSCF4839.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF4833.JPG
    DSCF4833.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 36

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
Looks like you nailed it again Malcolm ! I have to laugh to when I think back when you first joined us and always said "I don't have the same skills as you guys !" What rubbish !!! Clearly you do !!! I've been modelling all my life and you have outdone me ! Your creativity seems to have no bounds ! I just wanna know whats next from the "badsimmonds" stable ! ?

Last edited:
In anticipation.....

That first photograph, partly in shadow, of the truck minus its cab is more than enough to pique my interest - look at the faultless bodywork and the flawless paintwork (admittedly you're going to make it look a lot dirtier). Great work M, just great. Looking forward to the big reveal.

Watched "Path of Destruction" on Saturday, and was reminded of you every time that Superon tanker appeared. Great episode, wonderful vehicle shots and fantastic damage along the way - a classic.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi guys many thanks for your kind comments.
The truck is finished and I have to say I really went to town on the dirt etc but I really wanted a totally filthy vehicle just as it looks at the end of the episode. I always wonder if I'm doing the right thing when 'weathering' a vehicle covering the paint in 'dirt' colours but I much prefer this to a spotless one.
As to my next project if you can call it that, well, I've actually started one but its not a scratchbuild nor an Anderson subject.

all the best
Malcolm

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its the final stage now as I finish the last of the details.
The two canvas rolls on the roof were bits of an old pair of jeans cut and rolled and glued so not to unravel. The ties were shoe laces and the rope at the side & roof was some embroidery thread which I thought looked 'rope' like. I had fitted a small hook on the side which you can see in an earlier photo.
I next fitted the rear lights (non-working) into the holes I'd drilled earlier.
The explosives signs on the sides were plasticard painted red and the graphics applied (euro style bold extended) The sign above the cab was also plasticard with graphics added (font unknown), they were difficult to apply as they are small, approx. 5mm high.
I then masked off the four indents so I could paint by hand the thin white border line.
The front aerials were brass rods sprayed silver and just fit into the two holes drilled into the Lego part. The two rear ones are similar though they each have a couple of slightly larger rings fitted near the bottom.

After all this I then started the 'dirtying down' which was going to be a lot on this model. When I started this project I didn't want a nice clean model but one that looked as if it had been 5000' up a mountain and almost hit by a landside, a sand storm and driven through a river etc. Using an airbrush I sprayed Tamiya XF1 matt black and for the mud look Tamiya XF52 Flat Earth. I also threw on some powder paint for good measure, to achieve the look I also used a brush and fingers.
After I had done this I decided I had darkened the front black/yellow stripes too much so to overcome this I gently wiped this area with a soft cloth with a touch of white spirit, this slowly removed the Tamiya paint from the stripes until it ended up as seen in the photo.

I think that's about it, if I've forgotten something then I don't know as I've forgotten about it!
The next post will be the final photos.

Attachments

• DSCF4852.JPG
    DSCF4852.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4853.JPG
    DSCF4853.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF4859.JPG
    DSCF4859.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4866.JPG