Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Jason Smith Truck

Explosive results.....

Malcolm, up to your usual high standards, it would seem. Lovely finish on that paint job, and building nicely to the final stages where you put everything together. Hope you've not got frostbite in your fingers - you shouldn't really complain when you consider the icy climes in which Mr Smith was driving the original.

Keep on truckin',

Kindest regards

Patrick

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
Looks great so far Malcolm, but I am surprised the paint didn't "bloom" if you were spraying in such cold conditions. I used to have a portable Convector heater in the garage and would warm the place up for ten mins before spraying.

If you find you finished model isn't as glossy as you would have expected then that is the result of the low temparature. Then again, that may actually help the model look more life like !

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Slate

You are perfectly correct about the paint v's cold. I work in my garage with the door opened as I like to see using daylight so I couldn't afford to have any heating on, however if I was after a nice glossy finish then I probably would have had some heating. The result of this is I was frozen for the past few times spent in there.
Paint as you said will bloom in cold weather and I actually expected it to do so which it didn't funnily enough. I wasn't concerned if it did as I thought like you it would help with the look of the vehicle. In fact after the first coat it wasn't an even coat which again didn't bother me as it looked 'worn', however I did give certain areas another coat.
Once I finished weathering the vehicle it didn't really matter how the paint turned out. Personally I'm not a fan of nice clean glossy models as to my eye it makes them look like toys if you know what I mean. Some of the vehicles in the C21 programmes are really filthy which I just love.
Today I've taken the last finished photos of the model and it is pretty dirty, photos have the tendency to wash out 'dirt' making them too clean.

Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
The final painting is complete and now its time to fit everything together.
First was the cab sections, I had to be careful with this as I didn't want to scratch the paint on the plastic.
The front cab section is fitted to the main truck by pushing it in between the side skirts and is kept in place with various screws.
The spare wheels on either side are fitted using a long threaded bolt, during construction I had previously fitted chunks of wood on the inside for this purpose. The vintage action man field radio was fitted using two rivets glued into the body which then slot into a couple of holes drilled in the back of the radio. The two rolled up tarps were created from some suitable material lying around, tied with old boot laces and fitted to the truck using brass paper connectors pushed through a couple of holes and bent inside.
Every bit of detail on this model can be removed at any time if needed.
the two dolls windows were painted carnival red on the front and matt black on the back, I then cut out some mesh and fitted it in the front. These windows just slot into the gaps without any glue.
The railings on the top are the only items glued otherwise they would slip into the holes.
In between all this I dirtied down the entire model using black powder paint rubbed in by fingers and brushes then blown and the excess wiped of so it would be ingrained. This model looks as if its been through the wars as I'm sure Jason Smith has been all round the world in his truck.

Attachments

• DSCN5626.jpg
    DSCN5626.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN5627.jpg
    DSCN5627.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN5647.jpg
    DSCN5647.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN5648.jpg
    DSCN5648.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN5663.jpg
    DSCN5663.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 14
Lovely work....

....waiting in anticipation for shots of the finished truck.

Thanks for showing us all of your tricks of the trade - rivets, paper push studs et al. Another fascinating and entertaining thread.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
I'll join that queue, looks smashing so far. Anyone who can do this kind of work is a special talent indeed. :clap:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi everyone, many thanks for your kind comments.
Its nearly done now just one or two things.
On this vehicle the windscreen is a split sort so I just cut a small length of plasticard painted it carnival red and fitted it in place.
The wipers were created from short lengths of plastistrip that has a 'T' profile with a bit of brass rod bent to shape and glued, they were sprayed Plasticote silver. I used double sided tape to actually fit the wipers on the screen as I though I might make a mess if I used glue with them being so thin.
I tied to make the door mirrors from bits & bobs but I never liked the results so in the end I bit the bullet and sent of to Astroexpressparts in the US where Bob was kind enough to mould me a set of wing mirrors. It only took a few days for them to arrive and they looked fab. All I had to do was clean them up a little bit and paint them. The 'glass' was just chrome tape stuck onto very thin plasticard which in turn was double sided taped onto the mirrors. I can't thank Bob enough for helping me with them. Once complete the mirrors just slot into preformed holes in the cab, no glue needed
I almost forgot to mention the only kit part on the model which is from the Airfix Footbridge (the stairs). It was just a matter of cutting to length, spraying them silver and sticking them on. There are quite a few of them on this model so fortunately I had enough bits in my collection
That as far as I'm aware is that, model complete. I'll be posting the final photos shortly.

Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
I had a problem with one of the photos hence posting them separately for the above post.

Attachments

• DSCN5658.jpg
    DSCN5658.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN5655.jpg
    DSCN5655.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF4565.JPG
    DSCF4565.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 11

badsimmonds

Alphans
Here are some of the final photos for Jason's truck.
When I started this project I wasn't sure if I had chosen correctly but over the build I really liked this truck. It wasn't fancy or even futuristic but as a guest vehicle it was just right. Physically its one of the biggest models I've done recently which creates another problem where do I keep it.
The one thing I've learned from this build is I will never again work on a JE cab as its a nightmare. There are still some small gaps in the cab which I just gave up on as fixing one problem created another.
I hope you like this project as its turned out to be one of my favourites.
Many thanks for all your comments which I appreciate very much.
Thanks everyone
Malcolm

Attachments

• DSCF4536.JPG
    DSCF4536.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF4542.JPG
    DSCF4542.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF4544.JPG
    DSCF4544.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF4546.JPG
    DSCF4546.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 27

badsimmonds

Alphans
Some more photos.

Attachments

• DSCF4548.JPG
    DSCF4548.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4559.JPG
    DSCF4559.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4563.JPG
    DSCF4563.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 18
STUNNING, just STUNNING.....

Well done Malcolm. That's a beautiful model, and the weathering looks to be scaled just perfectly. Worth all the hassles during construction, I'd have thought. Thanks for letting us see all of the "in progress" pictures as well - always educational, always resourceful.

Kindest regards

Pat

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi everyone

Many thanks for your kind comments.
It turned out better than I hoped and its one of my favourite models.
Yes I'm afraid there will be no Swift removal van as I don't think I want to work on a JE cab again. In fact I'm selling all my spare JE parts as I won't be needing them on any future projects.
Again thanks
Malcolm

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Alpha1
Many thanks for your kind comments.
Welcome to this site and I hope you enjoy all the other excellent builds by some very talented model makers.
all the best
thebuilder55

techno

Alphans
Superb build! Why do i get the fEeling You'd have People aSking About Your MOdel if yOu took it to a Supermarionation Convention? This was a Top Notch,Should Be on display, Might fool a studio SFX Guy,BUild! keep up the superb work! Dan

badsimmonds

Alphans
Many thanks Dan, alas I'll never put my models on display so only other builders on this site will see them.
When I've been to the Smallspace shows I've been blown away by the skill and standard of other modellers work so I wouldn't have the nerve to show my stuff.
many thanks again.
Malcolm